Do you subscribe to the Kansas City Star?

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.

Yes - everyday
46%
Yes - weekend/Sunday
6%
No - I read it online
26%
No - Who reads the paper?
23%

Total votes: 35

lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Many claim the printed newspaper is a dying breed.  Maybe someday, but I don't think anytime soon.  Reading the printed paper is an different experience than reading online.  I might catch a glimpse of a story I wouldn't have otherwise read while scanning the pages.  Online, all you see is a headline.

Also, it's just plain easier in the morning to sit down for a few minutes with the paper rather than screw with a computer.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Do you subscribe to the Kansas City Star?

Post by GuyInLenexa »

I still prefer to read the printed paper also.  I only read online papers from home in TX, The NY Times, and the Washington Post.
It's easier to read, and I like seeing what is on sale.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

We only buy the Sunday Star, for coupons & because the Mrs likes to read it.

Other than that, I just read it online everyday for free. I get probably 90% of my news info online.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

Funny poll...I hope you people dont subscribe to it everyday  :lol:
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

lock&load wrote: Online, all you see is a headline.
I like how the Wall Street Journal's Web site has addressed that shortcoming. With the redesign, you just hover over the headline, and the first paragraph pops up. That's handy for seeing whether it's worth clicking on, especially when headlines tend to be cutesy rather than a pithy summary of the article.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

KC0KEK wrote: I like how the Wall Street Journal's Web site has addressed that shortcoming. With the redesign, you just hover over the headline, and the first paragraph pops up. That's handy for seeing whether it's worth clicking on, especially when headlines tend to be cutesy rather than a pithy summary of the article.
The WSJ by far has the best newspaper website I've seen.  They layout the stories by page, just like they are in the printed paper.  That way you can see the whole paper on one page and navigate from there.

I still don't catch as much as I used to reading the printed Journal, but I wouldn't have time to read it anyway.
beccanator
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by beccanator »

Your poll needs a "none of the above" category.

I do not subscribe to the paper, however, I do quite enjoy reading the paper. I spend soooo much time in front of a computer that I rejoice at the times when I can do something else and still get news-without staring at some electronic box (televisions included)!

I normally purchase my newspapers from the paper "dispenser" (what's the English word for this again?) at the corner of my block, have a seat outside of my favorite cafe with a cup of coffee and enjoy.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

I cancelled my subscription to the KC Star two years ago.  They still deliver the paper every day without me paying a dime. 
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

It just doesn't appeal to me in the least. I don't understand the appeal at all. It's a wasteful, biased, ad-inundated medium that stays afloat despite reason and progress.

I know they won't, but I wish newspapers would just go away.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Is there anything on the printed version that isn't in the online version? I really don't get paying for the paper when they're giving it away for free online.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

bahua wrote: It just doesn't appeal to me in the least. I don't understand the appeal at all. It's a wasteful, biased, ad-inundated medium that stays afloat despite reason and progress.

I know they won't, but I wish newspapers would just go away.
Where do you get your news?
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

I subscribed after buying the paper for a few weeks back during the stadium vote.  There's a lot of good stuff that I enjoyed reading in the paper but was missing when looking online, especially in the local and opinion sections.  It's not that expensive, really.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

Only out of neccessity. Being in the "info-biz" its what we consider a neccessary evil.
Also like to see how many features they rip off from us.

Sportster
...newz is our biz
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

lock&load wrote: Where do you get your news?
I pretty much don't. I find the news to be depressing- "a display of the world's ugliness," to badly quote a bad Ice T movie. Anything that's really important gets to me anyway, through critical mass. The only "news" outlet I actively frequent is slashdot.

If I'm feeling like I'm in need of news exposure, I'll go over to google news, but that's only once every couple of weeks.
markf
New York Life
New York Life

Post by markf »

I still enjoy sitting on my front porch on Sunday mornings, drinking coffee and reading the paper.  But I also have my laptop out there too for blogs and such.  I'm probably the last of a dying breed...
"Here!" shall of course be short for "Here I am, rock you like a hurricane."
kc-vino
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kc-vino »

I honestly really enjoy print and wouldn't desire to get my daily news off of the computer.  This is possibly because I work in software and am in front of a computer all day.  It is also the tangible element of getting a daily paper.  Work goes into the paper every day.  A website is much more stripped down and with out presentation.  You can take a paper with you outside and read it over lunch or to the toilet after work....where ever. I also find electronic news to be very distracting.  Pop ups continually in your face and your always tempted to click on something else. 

The Kansas City Star's new layout is great by the way
Put your money where your mouth is...live downtown.  Get out of the car and walk, shop, and play in the city.  Don't bring a suburban attitude/lifestyle to the city, rather be apart of changing the urban fabric for the better.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I'll admit, its hard to carry my PC into the bathroom to read the Star online when I'm doing my business.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

You also miss many of the graphical elements when you read the paper online.  Many of the charts, diagrams, photos, etc. are either not included or are reduced to a size that isn't particularly useful.
midtown guy
New York Life
New York Life

Post by midtown guy »

I had subscribed to the Star every day that I'd lived in KC for the past 12 years until a month ago.  Cancelled it cold turkey last month.  Ever since Art Brisbain left I felt like the newspaper had taken a completely biased slant toward virtually everything.  Between their completely biased coverage of the stadium issues and their handling/escalating the hysteria around pit bulls when there are real world issues to deal with, I've completely given up.  I scan the headlines on line and in my RSS feed, but frankly, other than the occassional Sunday morning on the front porch, I don't miss it.  In fact, I find myself much happier than dealing with their BS slant to most things.  Most of the information I want I can find here, and will read the rest of the stuff online. Reading the paper is one less thing I have to get done during the day...
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I read the Star online ... but only because it is impractical to subscribe while overseas.  Regardless of where I lived in the states (Denver, Tulsa etc...), I always subscribed to the Sunday Star and will again even if I move to a non-KC location in the states.