Kansans say yes to science, no to creationists on school board

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Kansans say yes to science, no to creationists on school board

Post by BVC »

Well, this is one less thing for the ignorants to bash Kansas about and something I knew would occur when the Kansas school board was held accountable...

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2006/aug/0 ... tions_2006

Election hailed as pro-evolution
By Sophia Maines (Contact), Scott Rothschild (Contact)

Thursday, August 3, 2006

Topeka — Kansas voters dealt a blow to national efforts to put creationism in science classes, evolution proponents said Wednesday.

“I don’t think there is any other way to interpret it,â€
Last edited by BVC on Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Kansans say yes to science, no to creationists on school board

Post by KCMax »

Who was defeated? All I saw was wingnut ID proponent John Bacon of Ooooooolathe won re-election beating Blue Valley science teacher Harry McDonald.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

KCMax wrote: Who was defeated? All I saw was wingnut ID proponent John Bacon of Ooooooolathe won re-election beating Blue Valley science teacher Harry McDonald.
Not sure...

This is encouraging that there is now at the minimum a 6-4 swing for the moderates rather than the religious zealots that they call conservatives.  Hopfully it moves to 7-3 or better.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

Believe it or not, Connie Morris, out in western Kansas lost.  She was probably the nuttiest of them all (I read a story about how she stood up bravely against the Flying Spaghetti Monster).  Also, the member from southeast Kansas, Iris VanMeter, did not run again, but her son in law did, and lost resoundingly.  Bacon won with 49% of the vote- the anti-Bacon vote was split between McDonald and another guy- which was really too bad, since McDonald seemed like a really good candidate.  The other seat wasn;t quite as close, but both Bacon and the other guy will be facing Democrats in November.  Based on Bacon not getting 50% in the Republican primary, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he lost the general election.  Hopefully, most of the Republicans who voted against Bacon will realize that the school board race is not between Republicans and Democrats, but between pro-education and anti-education. 

Janet Waugh (Democrat) ran against a stealth candidate, which I understand is how VanMeter won.  I hate to question someone's faith, but when a supposed Christian lies to get elected, I really question what kindo f a Christian he or she is.
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

phxcat wrote:
Hopefully, most of the Republicans who voted against Bacon will realize that the school board race is not between Republicans and Democrats, but between pro-education and anti-education. 
I'd prefer to think of it as honoring the separation between church and state rather than pro- or anti-eductation.  Science, however flawed and evolving, is still what needs to be taught in the school system and ID or creationism teachings belong in the home/church.  I certainly fear a day that the US moves to a theocracy like the Mid-East...  I wonder if those zealots realize that potential path.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

The reason I say pro/anti education is because the board majority also hired Bob Corker, as the superintendent (or whatever the title is) of education.  They had hired a headhunter company to find someone, and then ignored their recomendations.  Corker had no education experience, but had worked as a lobbyist for groups who were trying to push vouchers and charter schools, which would imply that he is not a friend of public education.  Corker's hiring was probably also tied to the majority's theocratic tendencies, but also seems to include anti-education tendencies.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

BVC wrote: I'd prefer to think of it as honoring the separation between church and state rather than pro- or anti-eductation.  Science, however flawed and evolving, is still what needs to be taught in the school system and ID or creationism teachings belong in the home/church.  I certainly fear a day that the US moves to a theocracy like the Mid-East...  I wonder if those zealots realize that potential path.
Exactamundo!  I couldn't have said it better myself.  They have an abundance of parochial schools for people who want to send their children to educational facilities that cater to their specific spiritual needs.  I myself am a christian but I don't believe religion belongs in public schools.  There are plenty of non-christian students who attend those schools and their parents pay taxes too. 

Also, there are churches on practically every corner that offer that sort of education free of charge so there's no need to offer it in school when it's available elsewhere already.  If parents are truly concerned that their kids aren't learning enough about their religion they need to do their job by making sure that child has their ass in church on Sunday. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I'm still a little disappointed no candidate has come out in support of the Flying Spaghetti Monter.

Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

KCMax wrote: I'm still a little disappointed no candidate has come out in support of the Flying Spaghetti Monter.
Praise Pasta!

May pesto be upon Him.
A fool and your money are soon united.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Thrillcekr wrote: Also, there are churches on practically every corner that offer that sort of education free of charge so there's no need to offer it in school when it's available elsewhere already.  If parents are truly concerned that their kids aren't learning enough about their religion they need to do their job by making sure that child has their ass in church on Sunday. 
I know of home-school families who support the teaching of ID in public schools which I think is a bit cynical since they have chosen to withhold their own kids from the school partly over religious-scientific issues (and admittingly partly due to the academic success of home-schooled children).

Christian organizations, however, should see the separation of church and state as in their own best interest.  In an America with rapidly changing demographics, we could see muslim-majority school districts evolving and I do not think many Christians would like to to see their kids taught an islamic-centric cirriculum in such districts. 
Last edited by Highlander on Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Highlander wrote: Christian organizations, however, should see the separation of church and state in their own best interest.  In an America with rapidly changing demographics, we could see muslim-majority school districts evolving and I do not think many Christians would like to to see their kids taught an islamic-centric cirriculum in such districts. 
"Render unto Caesar what is Caesar’s, and unto God what is God’s" Matthew 22:21