Forum Censoring

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.

Should the censoring of n_i_gger and f_a_ggot to *BLEEP* be stopped on this forum?

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes: 27

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Forum Censoring

Post by KCMax »

Let's have frank and open discussions. If people abuse words, they'll be subject to censorship. But I don't see any reason to have a carte blanche censorship of certain words if they're being discussed in a non-offensive, responsible manner.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I think it's silly to automatically block words, for any reason. If something's offensive, just like anything else on the site, report it, and it'll get moderated.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

bahua wrote: I think it's silly to automatically block words, for any reason. If something's offensive, just like anything else on the site, report it, and it'll get moderated.
I agree. Some relatively innocent words could get blocked unnecessarily, causing frustration, while other, very offensive phraseology could sneak through by use of clever mi$$pellings and ohter devius devizes. I trust the site-keepers' best judgment.
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Either way is fine with me.

As a development fourm, I do not think censorship is needed.  The 2 words in question do not offened me at all.  But, I am neither black nor gay.  Although, personally am not that easily offended anyway.

However, I don't want to be reading that kind of "trash" (I'll call it that for lack of a better word) on a development fourm either.

So, bauha: whatever you decide, IMO.    :)
KC is the way to be!
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

I think the bigger issue, and its difficult to address, is that people use the anonymity of the web to post things they would never, in a million years, even consider saying in mature company. Or even basically civilized company.  The rules of etiquitte that apply in face to face encounters don't always translate well in cyber.

For the most part, this tends to be one of the most repecful forums I've seen. I think if everyone can keep in mind not to say anything deliberately hurtful or mean spirited, everything else will fall in line.  Hell, its usually the regular members who call someone out for being a prick before the moderators can even react! We do a pretty good job of policing ourselves.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

tat2kc wrote: I think the bigger issue, and its difficult to address, is that people use the anonymity of the web to post things they would never, in a million years, even consider saying in mature company. Or even basically civilized company.
POOPY HEAD!
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

KCMax wrote: POOPY HEAD!
No, "poophead."  :D
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Roanoker wrote: No, "poophead."  :D
Guffaw. I used to often say poophead when I was about between third and fifth grades. God, I haven't thought about that or that word in ages.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Poophead?  Hmm...that might have racial orgins.  CENSOR IT!!!  (Just Kidding)  :D
KC is the way to be!
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

leaf wrote: yeah i think it's probably okay to BLEEP out slurs related to race, ethnicity, sexuality, etc. 

Carlin's Heavy Seven are okay though, IMO.  it's a web forum, not my grandmother's dinner table. 
Who are you to decide what is offensive to someone else?  You are offended by the 'n' word, someone else by q***r and yet someone else by f**k.  Since it is impossible to censor every possible offensive word, no blanket censorship should exist.  It should be on a case by case basis.
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

fucking niggers :o
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

^^^^OH, it does work!!! :shock:
Last edited by schugg on Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.