NEBRASKANS

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: NEBRASKANS

Post by AllThingsKC »

bbqboy wrote: It's so heartwarming to know that Billionaires drive Vans too.
...and to know that they visit Kansas City.  :lol:
KC is the way to be!
DTO
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by DTO »

Out of curiousity...

When you guys see Nebraska plates, which do they look like

29-IH21

or

NBV 350

The parts of Nebraska with people (Omaha, Lincoln, Suburban Omaha) have to many people for numbered plates. Nebraska used to do the plates by population. Everyone in Douglas County had a number 1 for being the most populated. Lancaster Count (Lincoln) had a number 2 and so on.

I would imagine there are more NBV 350 type plates than numbered plates. For some reason everyone in Omaha is in love with KC. But of course those are all of the the suburban, NASCAR, Republicans who've never been anywhere else that love it so much.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I was driving home the other night and got caught in a massive traffic jam that I am told was due to some hootenany concert at Kemper (Toby Keith and somebody).  The interstate was nothing but a solid stream of Nebraska plates.  It looked as though they had shut Omaha down for the night and sent the whole city south. 
leaf
Pad site
Pad site

Post by leaf »

three times in the past week i have seen carloads of NE teenagers swarming the Plaza, all atwitter.  they obviously had "dressed up" for the trip as well, putting on their finest American Eagle apparel.  :lol:

i don't really pay attention to the form of the license plates, but the NE cars on the Plaza are often really nice (BMWs, Lexuses, etc.) but that is to be expected. 

my guess is that "everyone in omaha is in love with KC" because KC is the closest city that is considerably larger than Omaha.  pretty simple. 

the last sentence of your post is ridiculous in 1,000 ways.  (1) there are plenty of well-traveled republicans, suburbanites, and nascar fans, (2) there is no reason to suggest that nebraska conservatives are more likely to visit KC than nebraska moderates and liberals (esp. since KC is more liberal than anywhere in nebraska), (3) what difference does it make what demographics are coming from O to KC?  i bet O is glad to have KC suburbanites and republicans come up there and spend money. 
DTO
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by DTO »

The thing is though most people I know that go to KC all the time, that's the only place the ever go. On the flip side are all the people that go to Denver/Colorado. There are probably as many that go to Denver as KC. Minneapolis has it's pull with the Mall of America. That's more or less a one time trip for people here. Also it's like $90 bucks to fly to Chicago. With Chicago being so accessible I don't have to go KC anymore to visit another city.

I'd say the cities people in Omaha visit the most are in this order:

KC
Denver
Chicago
Minneapolis

I've never heard of anyone planning a trip to St. Louis.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

DTO wrote: Out of curiousity...

29-IH21

or

[NBV 350]
i've never seen the other kind in kc that i can remember.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

leaf wrote:
i don't really pay attention to the form of the license plates, but the NE cars on the Plaza are often really nice (BMWs, Lexuses, etc.) but that is to be expected. 
Billionaires can afford these things.
The thing is though most people I know that go to KC all the time, that's the only place the ever go. On the flip side are all the people that go to Denver/Colorado. There are probably as many that go to Denver as KC
I have a difficult time believing this.  Denver involves a substantial investment in time (driving) or money (flying) while you can get to KC and back in a day easily.  I have no doubt that many people spend time vacationing in Denver be it summer holiday in the mountains or skiing but the proximity to KC just allows much more frequent getaways.
DTO
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by DTO »

Well duh KC is closer so it's going to be more frequented. But I'm telling you from living here that right after KC, Denver is the most visited spot by Omahans. The farthest away my best friend has been outside of Omaha is KC. That's pretty reflective of lots of people here. They can't afford to go anywhere else. The ones that can afford to go other places don't frequent KC as much. If I could afford to go to Denver, Minnepolis, KC, or Chicago, guess which ones at the bottom of my list?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

DTO wrote: Well duh KC is closer so it's going to be more frequented. But I'm telling you from living here that right after KC, Denver is the most visited spot by Omahans. The farthest away my best friend has been outside of Omaha is KC. That's pretty reflective of lots of people here. They can't afford to go anywhere else. The ones that can afford to go other places don't frequent KC as much. If I could afford to go to Denver, Minnepolis, KC, or Chicago, guess which ones at the bottom of my list?
What you say is reflective of the fact that, regardless of where you live, most people are not well off enough to make frequent trips to far away places so they settle on going to more proximal locales.  That was the basis of my post too.  I would suspect that the truly wealthy may skip Minneapolis and Denver altogether and hang out in SF, NY, Rome, Paris and London....that's what I'd do if I had the money. 
Last edited by Highlander on Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

DTO wrote: Well duh KC is closer so it's going to be more frequented. But I'm telling you from living here that right after KC, Denver is the most visited spot by Omahans. The farthest away my best friend has been outside of Omaha is KC. That's pretty reflective of lots of people here. They can't afford to go anywhere else. The ones that can afford to go other places don't frequent KC as much. If I could afford to go to Denver, Minnepolis, KC, or Chicago, guess which ones at the bottom of my list?
it's pretty cheap to ride amtrack to denver from omaha/ lincoln, i wonder how many omahans do that?
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

me and my wife may plan a trip to omaha just for the heck of it and to return the favor :D
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

schugg wrote: me and my wife may plan a trip to omaha just for the heck of it and to return the favor :D
Be sure to drive your BMW or Lexus!!!!
DTO wrote: Out of curiousity...

29-IH21

or

NBV 350
I haven't paid much attention to the kind of plate, but I think the latter half is what I've seen.  I think I would have noticed a "weird" license plate number of 29-IH21.
KC is the way to be!
DTO
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by DTO »

schugg wrote: me and my wife may plan a trip to omaha just for the heck of it and to return the favor :D
If you do, let me know. I'm an expert on Omaha. :)
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

dto, here's where I have to confess my N. connections. My wife graduated Westside-'74. In-laws still live on 108th right north of center. I can't slag the big O too much or I get in big trouble.
Wife's dad/Grandparents owned Morris Menswear, DT and on 59th & Maple, for a long time.
Her Aunt and Uncle (and cousins) are Seldins, so don't hold that against me, please?
riebschlager
New York Life
New York Life

Post by riebschlager »

edit: oops, nevermind.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

riebschlager wrote: edit: oops, nevermind.
...and don't let it happen again!  :lol:
KC is the way to be!
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KC to Omaha (and vice versa) can be done as a day trip. That has to be the bigest reason for the common exchange of lack of culture.
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

bbqboy wrote: dto, here's where I have to confess my N. connections. My wife graduated Westside-'74. In-laws still live on 108th right north of center. I can't slag the big O too much or I get in big trouble.
Wife's dad/Grandparents owned Morris Menswear, DT and on 59th & Maple, for a long time.
Her Aunt and Uncle (and cousins) are Seldins, so don't hold that against me, please?

I graduated from Westside in 1971, my wife in 1973. I grew up south of W. Center Road at 107th.

Small world.
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

DTO wrote: If you do, let me know. I'm an expert on Omaha. :)
I'll hit you up. for the best steak house, hotel, bar. 8)
Last edited by schugg on Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.