Photo Editing

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Photo Editing

Post by Roanoker »

GRID wrote: Anyway, does anybody have a GOOD stitching program?

I think Photoshop is the best. I fussed a bit with your image. The sky was pretty easy, but the grass stripes were more difficult. I don't like the way i did it, but I guess the effort is worth what I'm getting paid for it.  :) And my point is really to show how Photoshop can be used to correct images. (It would have been better if I had the original, two pictures, of course.)

Last edited by bahua on Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Are you guys from KC?

Post by Tosspot »

Roanoker wrote: I think Photoshop is the best. I fussed a bit with your image. The sky was pretty easy, but the grass stripes were more difficult. I don't like the way i did it, but I guess the effort is worth what I'm getting paid for it.  :) And my point is really to show how Photoshop can be used to correct images. (It would have been better if I had the original, two pictures, of course.)

It looks like you did a good job with it, I can't detect anything wrong with it.

BTW, what version of photoshop do you use. I use Elements 4.0 (fairly elementary) but may take a photoshop class that could get me acquainted with CS2.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

GIMP forever!
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Tosspot wrote: It looks like you did a good job with it, I can't detect anything wrong with it.
Thanks much, but I shouldn't have used the blur tool on the grass.
BTW, what version of photoshop do you use. I use Elements 4.0 (fairly elementary) but may take a photoshop class that could get me acquainted with CS2.
It's Adobe Photoshop CS Version 8.0 on my Mac. (I see that I have Photoshop CS2 Version 9.0.1 on my work-supplied Dell laptop, but that's not what I used here. It "feels" the same, incidentally.)

I paid a bit extra when I bought a scanner a few years ago and got Elements, too. I didn't really use it, as I was comfortable with my old, normal, Mac-based Photoshop, and I used the scanner with a PC laptop. Since I had registered Elements, Adobe offered the full-blown CS version for $299. So I jumped. Before I got around to installing it, the motherboard on the Dell threw craps (right after the warranty ran out!), so I bought a Mac laptop. Adobe graciously swapped the PC version for a Mac version.

I suppose a class would be okay. Sometimes I get frustrated with software classes. I've attended them before, to learn more about Excel and others. But I can't stand sitting through the instructor's tedious, "This device is called a mouse," or, "To open a new document..." Teach me what I want to know, for Pete's sake!

If you knew you wouldn't have to endure lame explanations of what you already know, I'd say go for it. However, I remember going to a Macworld a million years ago and purchasing a large, soft-cover Photoshop tutorial, with wonderful, step-by-step directions and full-color examples. It cost $30 back then. Very much worth it. I could simply look up what I wanted to accomplish. And I'll bet there are on-line tutorials that might suit your style better.

CS will include a ton of features you won't need such as 4-color separation, but who cares? Maybe a phone call or email to Adobe would be worthwhile. See if they have any similar offers in the mill. Your work on this forum should certainly count for something with them.

I look forward to viewing the results of your coming education, whatever form it takes.
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Yeah, classes can be hit and miss. I took a class at Penn Valley like back in 2000 not long after I started college work which focused on MSFT Office Applications. It was part of my requirements, but I picked up some neat things I didn't know how to do before. Thing is, that was about 6 years ago and I've forgotten most of it.

Maybe I'll go down to B&N and look for a photoshop tutorial book to start off -- everything I've ever done with Photoshop was already super easy or had to spend hours yelling and cursing trying to figure things out.

One question: Why is it that Photoshop CS2 is listed as $649.00 on Adobe's website, but there are other websites out there which claim you can buy it from them instead for less than half, or even a third of that?

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

I have to leave for a few hours, but I want to respond to your questions.

Moderators, sirs, would it be good to split this thread so those of us interested in image-manipulation wouldn't interfere with those who really care about the OP~KC thing?  :)

Just let me know where it is. And thanks!
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Photo Editing

Post by bahua »

Done.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Now I see what happened, we were splitting it at the same time, I will just delete the other thread now since it makes no sence. ;)
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Be careful with a Photoshop class. I took one and truly, I ended up knowing more than the instructor in many ways. And he taught more by "this is how the instructions say but I prefer to do it this way." and I like to learn to do things the right way before doing it other ways. It was a waste mostly.

And Microsoft classes are quite boring unless you take an advanced one. You wait so long on the rest of the class to catch up and usually the instructors teach to the lowest level.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

nota wrote: And Microsoft classes are quite boring unless you take an advanced one. You wait so long on the rest of the class to catch up and usually the instructors teach to the lowest level.
I find this to be true of just about any computer class. They always teach to the lowest level of knowledge. In a classroom environment, I think it's a pretty safe assummption to make that there are people that need to learn everything in the curriculum.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Don't just sign up for any class.  I would recommend classes offered by either custom color or digital labrador, both in the crossroads area.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

bahua wrote: GIMP forever!
I use both CS2 and GIMP and I like GIMP better plus it's free!
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

It's definitely not the same, but it's not that hard to get used to.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

GRID wrote: Now I see what happened, we were splitting it at the same time, I will just delete the other thread now since it makes no sence. ;)
Grid, does that mean the posts are gone forever? Whoever posted the stitched photos and asked about a good stitching program asked me some questions, and I wanted to answer them. I can't find the original thread. Sorry to all for any confusion I may have introduced. :(
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Tosspot wrote: One question: Why is it that Photoshop CS2 is listed as $649.00 on Adobe's website, but there are other websites out there which claim you can buy it from them instead for less than half, or even a third of that?
I don't know. I'm not knowledgeable enough about most things to quickly determine the best deal, so I probably spend more for software, equipment, etc. than a smarter person would. Peace of mind, reliability, and stability are more important to me than low cost. I got badly burned on a Howtek scanner some years back because I had found a "good deal." In the long run, it wasn't. (Howtek moved away from the consumer market, and I can't say I blame them.) Actually, $649 sounds pretty cheap to me for a product that used to cost $800. Also, I tend to stick with what seems to work for me.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

bahua wrote: GIMP forever!
Bahua, I didn't know what you meant by "GIMP." (Sad, isn't it. I thought it must be an unknown-to-me acronym.) If it does what you want, that's for sure the way to go.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Roanoker wrote: Bahua, I didn't know what you meant by "GIMP." (Sad, isn't it. I thought it must be an unknown-to-me acronym.) If it does what you want, that's for sure the way to go.
it's a freeware kind of thing that basically does what Photoshop does.

http://gimp.org

photoblog. 

Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Tosspot wrote: it's a freeware kind of thing that basically does what Photoshop does.

http://gimp.org
Thanks, Tosspot. I checked the link and noticed the Mac caveats. It was a bit intimidating. I used to write programs for mainframes and early DOS PCs, but I think I'll leave the baton with you younger guys. And besides, I've already got Photoshop CS! That should keep me occupied for a while.  :)
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Roanoker wrote: Grid, does that mean the posts are gone forever? Whoever posted the stitched photos and asked about a good stitching program asked me some questions, and I wanted to answer them. I can't find the original thread. Sorry to all for any confusion I may have introduced. :(
Yea, I goofed up, then when I saw that baha split it I deleted the other thread and then I noticed he didn't move all the post across.

Anyway, here is the original pic I posted.  I'll email you the three files...

Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

GRID wrote: Yea, I goofed up, then when I saw that baha split it I deleted the other thread and then I noticed he didn't move all the post across.

Anyway, here is the original pic I posted.  I'll email you the three files...
I think you asked me how I dealt with the grass, but I don't remember the specifics. I read through your post quickly and then flew out the door. Did you want me to put the three files together? (I haven't received them yet.)

As for a stitching program per se, I know JPL at NASA does a fantastic job of piecing together mosaics from the pictures they get from outer space. The Mars pictures were incredible. Maybe someone might know if there is a commercial (or free!) version of what they use.