Is there a city that looks better than Downtown KC?

A place to post and request pictures of Kansas City.
kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kcmajik »

[/quote]who cares if i like KC better than Chicago? If you all think Chicago is so much better...move there!

i didn't say i liked chicago better than KC. simply said it didn't suck like you did. i don't know if i could handle winters in chicago though, i have cousins in South Bend IN and it's identical to chicago weather and i bout froze my ass off the week of christmas up there once. i've also been there in march when it has snowed like 2 feet. no thank you - not for me
kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kcmajik »

woops! :-$
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

trailerkid wrote:Who cares if I like KC better than Chicago? If you all think Chicago is so much better...move there!
I thought we were talkin' about skylines. If you ask somebody on the East Coast, NO city West of the Appalachians and South of Washington DC is a "real city".....jus' a bunch of hicks, trash, non-cultured wanna-be yuppies in new plastic houses and buildings. Los Angeles is trash...a city where new shit is built while old shit is demolished...a sprawled out wasteland of crap! San Francisco is definitely the best city on the West Coast. Miami is garbage too. The best cities are San Francisco, New Orleans, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, Washington DC and NYC.

KC could've been there, but instead of a historic jazz district, we have those fake buildings on 18th & Vine. We've neglected and destroyed so many historic neighborhoods it makes me sick! One can drive down 9th Street, 12th Street, Truman Rd., etc. East of downtown and see these once lively 2-3 story buildings with there touch of deco sitting vacant and unfit.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

Funny what drugs and poverty will do to a community. All of those other cities have had the same problems and still do. Problem is that KC is much smaller, tends to have more of an impact on the community. Whether or not the community does anything about these problems remains another issue. KC decision makers have been called "conservative". Just look at how the banking community responds to "rebuilding" or funding inner city projects.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

New Orleans is much smaller than KC, probably has more drugs and violence, but it has done a great job of preservation.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

Maybe the city government of New Orleans decided to do something about preserving their city. Unfortunately in KC, there is such an "attitude" about any area east of Troost. This is where a bunch of history has been eradicated because no one cared. Other cities recognize these gems. KC hopefully will preserve what is left, there are still undiscovered gems out there.
mpls
Pad site
Pad site

Post by mpls »

trailerkid wrote:Dude...Chicago sucks...it's a copycat of NYC with none of the excitement you automatically feel in the Big Apple. Chicago has an inferiority complex something bad, maybe worse than KC. They're jealous they're not even the second city anymore as places like Miami, San Fran, and Atlanta have stolen their clout. NYC and LA are America's culturual epicenters while Chicago is yesterday's news...home of Sears and Speigel....full of small-town midwesterners who dream of livng in a city. They continue to sprawl, but add nothing new to the American identity.
you are such a fool. every heard of the chicago school of architecture? that defined high rises for many years, yes defined, not copied. chicago does not copy nyc, just because they are both super dense, does not mean one copies another. you have write some the dumbest things i have ever read.
mpls
Pad site
Pad site

Post by mpls »

trailerkid wrote:Chicago is called "the second city"...Guess who is the first...

Most of the people who move to Chicago are midwestern hicks who want to live in a big city. A wannabe East Coast city with a bunch of dumb midwesterners. Also, probably one of the most racist cities in the country. Chicago makes the "Troost divide" look like full integration.

Who cares if I like KC better than Chicago? If you all think Chicago is so much better...move there!
i thought you just said nyc and la were the cultural epicenters, making chicago 3. i don't think any one ever said chicago was better than nyc, just different; can't you admitt that? wtf is up with this racist thing? can you back it up?
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

chicago is in no way an "eastern city" im sure we'll all agree (if not some of us) that STL is the only "eastern city".
Even people from Chicago think STL is "eastern". Chicago is midwestern no doubt.
Brooksider
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Brooksider »

I think one of the best things about Chicago is the midwestern hospitality. As for St. Louis being eastern? No way. They are as midwestern as KC. They are just snotty like easterners.
Suburban Sprawl - Cut down all of the trees and name the streets after them.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

I agree with Brooksider. Now take that Jayhawk sticker off your car! :x
LyRiCaL GanGsTa

Post by LyRiCaL GanGsTa »

I love Chicago but it doesn't conquer all. I love Chicago in the summertime, when the Polish girls are strutin' thier stuff. Chicago has a great jazz scene and like KC, it has alot of midwestern soul.
fire4725
Pad site
Pad site

Post by fire4725 »

How do I get pictures from my pictures on the PC to this site?

I have some really cool Singapore and Washington DC pictures

They look better than KC
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KCDevin wrote:chicago is in no way an "eastern city" im sure we'll all agree (if not some of us) that STL is the only "eastern city".
Even people from Chicago think STL is "eastern". Chicago is midwestern no doubt.
STL is definitely as midwestern as a city can get. A lot of out of towners think it is eastern, though, cuz it has such an "urban" flavor.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

bahua wrote:Bow to the all-conquering skyline of Chicago!

Not to say KC doesn't have a lovely skyline, but come on, Chicago takes the cake, in this hemisphere!
The one thing Kansas City needs in order to be truly great is the build up of the river. Come on, St. Louis has a better looking river front. Hell Davenport Iowa built up their riverfront. Even Wichita has a beautiful riverfront (but shitty skyline). We need it to be built on both sides of the river too, in Missouri, and Kansas.

Anyway the best skyline Ive seen is

New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Dear God! Las Vegas?

What next? The Disneyworld skyline? Give me a break!
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

trailerkid wrote:Dear God! Las Vegas?

What next? The Disneyworld skyline? Give me a break!
It's a personal thing. Maybe DMW is into hotels and stuff. So be it. I'm sure he doesn't represent the majority, though.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

For me, Las Vegas is definitely the most fun outside of New Orleans (in the U.S.). But the skyline?! A replica Eiffel Tower? A replica of the Empire State and Statue of Liberty? A replica of a Egyptian Pyramid or Old English Castle? Las Vegas does have the most colorful skyline.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Come on, St. Louis has a better looking river front. Hell Davenport Iowa built up their riverfront. Even Wichita has a beautiful riverfront (but shitty skyline).

Now, you can't say that around me ;)
Although I know our riverfront is crappy but at least we dont have an arch sticking up restricting tall buildings from being built :)

But if you compare our SKYLINE to STL, Wichita, Davenport (no idea) then we will always come in first :)

We have taller buildings and larger buildings. (like the federal building)

Las Vegas doesn't even have a better skyline IMO. Of course, when I think of LV and NO I think of Soddom & Gommorah.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

KCDevin wrote:
Now, you can't say that around me ;)
Although I know our riverfront is crappy but at least we dont have an arch sticking up restricting tall buildings from being built :)

But if you compare our SKYLINE to STL, Wichita, Davenport (no idea) then we will always come in first :)

We have taller buildings and larger buildings. (like the federal building)

Las Vegas doesn't even have a better skyline IMO. Of course, when I think of LV and NO I think of Soddom & Gommorah.
I always loved the way vegas looked. I have no problem with hotels being in the skyline, hell Honolulu has a great skyline because of hotels too. St. Louis is a decnt city too, but Im unfairly biased.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!