Parking Issue Solved Downtown STL

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
Deleted User

Parking Issue Solved Downtown STL

Post by Deleted User »

Last edited by Deleted User on Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Parking Issue Solved Downtown STL

Post by schugg »

was that taken during the 93 flood?
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

lol... no.
Last edited by Deleted User on Mon May 01, 2006 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

oh!  #-o    :D
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Surely here where everyone knows everything about everything, there is no one who doesn't know that there is parking on the levee. Probably has been since Mark Twain walked those bricks.

In the photo, the river is quite high. Not at flood stage for sure, but pretty high. Often there is twice that much parking. A friend of ours' car was broken into and ransacked once while parked there while visiting the Arch from Indiana.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

I've parked there.  My wife, who was in need of knee surgery at the time, wasn't too happy about it!
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

without that arch, look at how lame downtown st louis looks.                    :P
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

schugg wrote: without that arch, look at how lame downtown st louis looks.                    :P
It's on purpose.  The city doesn't allow any buildings to be taller than the arch, in order to preserve views of it.  Besides, the impressiveness of a skyline is one of the least important measurements of a city.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

dangerboy wrote: It's on purpose.  The city doesn't allow any buildings to be taller than the arch, in order to preserve views of it.  Besides, the impressiveness of a skyline is one of the least important measurements of a city.
Shhhhh!!!!  You're going to ruin everyone's day!
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
STLgasm
Pad site
Pad site

Post by STLgasm »

schugg wrote: without that arch, look at how lame downtown st louis looks.                     :P
Ahh, but the Arch IS there, so you can continue being jealous.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

dangerboy wrote: ... Besides, the impressiveness of a skyline is one of the least important measurements of a city.
Not really, they seem to go hand-in-hand; Chicago, Seattle, SF, Minneapolis, Manhattan.

Then look at those with less impressive skylines for thier size; STL, Milwaukee, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, San Antonio.

STLgasm wrote: Ahh, but the Arch IS there, so you can continue being jealous.
:lol: I prefer Tijuana's arch, it has thousands of pedestrians and bustle... a real town square.
Last edited by Deleted User on Mon May 01, 2006 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Louman
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Louman »

Michael® wrote: Not really, they seem to go hand-in-hand; Chicago, Seattle, SF, Minneapolis, Manhattan... need more?

Then look at those with less impressive skylines for thier size; STL, Milwaukee, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, San Antonio... need more?  :lol:
What constitutes an impressive skyline is definitely subjective. The Gateway Arch certainly makes the St. Louis skyline one of the most recognizable skylines in the world.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

There are many cities with great downtowns but without impressive skylines.  Big cities like Portland and small cities like Madison or Columbia.  What really matters is the quality of life at the base of the towers, not how it looks on a postcard.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I like St. Louis' arch and it does give them notoriety. I do think it is very sad there is really nothing around the arch as far as pedestrian activity.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

KCMax wrote: I like St. Louis' arch and it does give them notoriety. I do think it is very sad there is really nothing around the arch as far as pedestrian activity.
Yeah, the Arch grounds have been disconnected from DT proper by the depressed section of I-70 for ever.  It's not easy to get across that.  But there are plans to either cover it over or make more walk ways across I-70 there.  Should help things quite a bit.

I have to admit that it would be nice to have such a large park near DT.  It would be nice to slip out for lunch for a bit and go there.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

The walk across I-70 from the Arch grounds to downtown is a bit crazy.  You really gotta hustle to avoid traffic on Memorial.  It's definitely doable for an adult, but, a family of five with small children would do well to stay tightly together.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

phxcat wrote: I've parked there.  My wife, who was in need of knee surgery at the time, wasn't too happy about it!
That certainly is the truth.

I like that whole area though. Just walking on the same stones all the riverboat history was done on.

I wish McD would go back to the riverboat. My grandkids and their parents before them loved that place.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

dangerboy wrote: It's on purpose.  The city doesn't allow any buildings to be taller than the arch, in order to preserve views of it.  Besides, the impressiveness of a skyline is one of the least important measurements of a city.
Mr Eagleton's erection is one of the ugliest additions to the skyline no matter which direction you are looking from. It is waaaaay too tall.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

washington, dc (which also suffers from height restrictions) does not have an "impressive" skyline. but everyone recognizes the capitol and the washington monument.

for me, KC's bartle hall pylons are what set our skyline apart from everyone else's.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

nota wrote: That certainly is the truth.

I like that whole area though. Just walking on the same stones all the riverboat history was done on.

I wish McD would go back to the riverboat. My grandkids and their parents before them loved that place.
It looked nice from the grounds to see the Admiral and the McDonalds riverboats, but, that McDonalds was naaaasty.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze