imagine the congratulatory....

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

imagine the congratulatory....

Post by kucer »

... calls Lamar and David are getting today from other owners.  it's gotta be nice to have such a sweetheart deal handed over without a fight. 

holy crap, this county is a joke.  i think the next big development project that needs to happen is to help everyone grow a pair, so they don't cave into shitty deals like this. sad to see that just like bushie and his ilk, the political folks around here know that simply bombarding people with fear, will get them the results they want. 
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: imagine the congratulatory....

Post by Steve52 »

While making a wreck of almost everything in the process don't forget that.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

kucer wrote: the political folks around here know that simply bombarding people with fear, will get them the results they want. 
Kinder  :D gentler  :D extortion.

Sorry to be so BLUNT
Last edited by Steve52 on Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

kucer wrote: ... calls Lamar and David are getting today from other owners.  it's gotta be nice to have such a sweetheart deal handed over without a fight. 

holy crap, this county is a joke.  i think the next big development project that needs to happen is to help everyone grow a pair, so they don't cave into shitty deals like this. sad to see that just like bushie and his ilk, the political folks around here know that simply bombarding people with fear, will get them the results they want. 
This whole county is a joke.  The powers that be, the people, everything.  The people of Jaco actually showed how ignorant they are by voting this in.  Only in Kansas City. 

The sad thing is, who knows when this "regime" or "machine" will finally have its downfall.  I mean, you have a freaking county exec. in Katheryn Shields who is being investigated by the federal gov. (and may have somehow worked a deal behind the scences with them).. yelling, "whoooooo...whoooo" in victory... i just wanted someone to throw a doughnut at her. 

She must be so happy that she just screwed over the people that elected her into office.  On a national scale, team owners generally put in at least 35% to 50% of the appropriate funds to build new or renovate exsisting stadiums.  In KC, Lamar put in 17%, and Cheap ass Glass put in 7%.....  That means the taxpayers got hosed, not to mention as of right now, we're not getting a SuperBowl, or a Final 4. 

It frustrates me because i don't think the jaco gov has OUR best interests at heart.  Basically, they laid down and let David Glass and Lamar Hunt walk all over them.  They don't know what the best interest of our city is.  They live in Dallas and Bentonville, AR.  How do they know the pulse of our city??  Do you really think they give a shit about KC??  They just see us as a cash register. 

Most of all, I'm frustrated at the people in position of authority in Jackson County that knew this was a bad plan and stayed quiet.  The people that went around and said "off the record" to certain people that this was a bad plan, but didn't have the balls to step forward and say anything.  The people like Fairfield, and the guy who called a press conference and then backed out.  In my opinion, a measly $500,000 opposition could have defeated this measure. 

unbelievable..... however, i will be saying i told you so when the issue of DT baseball comes up in 10-12 years.  Don't say i didn't warn you, because it will come up.  This is just like that joke with Kemper Arena.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Hindsite is 20/20. And in hindsite, while I was a NO vote on Q1. I should have been, as everyone else, a YES on Q2. Because Q1 passing and the roof not is like a kick in the balls. We are shelling it out for the renovations and we don't get the free stuff. Maybe it will come back around again.

Tactical error.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

That wouldn't have mattered, since the passage of Q1 was a prerequisite of Q2 passing.

Hunt and Glass have a wonderful situation, and are worthy of congratulations. They aren't evil. We're just spineless and ignorant.
Boognish
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Boognish »

I wanted to say this .... considering the grotesque amount of imparity in this vote between it's supporters and detractors, it's just damned amazing that this vote is as close as it is.

Jackson County government is scared of becoming irrelevant, and they should be. The sports teams are the only bargaining chip they've got, and if they lost them to Kansas City, MO (or even KS) control, they might as well turn out the lights and head home. That's why they negotiated this sweetheart deal with Glass and Hunt, that's why Glass and Hunt negotiated it with them. They exchanged it for the moneyed and lobbyist support of two very rich men (who spent a tiny sliver of what they would gain by such a lopsided package). And of course, Jackson County did get screwed. But look at it this way: they were pretty scared to have to go this far to get a split vote and only a 6% margin of victory.

If a lot of the voters had known that the Jackson County legislature and Katheryn Shields had been involved, this would have failed handily, I guarantee it. It was the non-sports civic pride voters who didn't understand this issue who swung it, and who can really blame them? They were barraged with pedantic ads scolding them to "keep the teams". They didn't know any better, they were mostly older and didn't really care about sports, but they cared enough about Kansas City that they didn't want to lose them. So they got bamboozled by lots and lots of money into doing something they didn't really intend. That's the art of electioneering.

But that, my friends is the last gas. As downtown gains not momentum but enough exposure and completion that even casual observers begin to notice, and as David Glass then demands to move downtown to be part of it, and to fill his weekday luxury box suites, I hope that enough of the voters will remember that he and elected officials of little to no importance conspired to hoodwink us when there was already enough incentive to go through with a better plan. And you know what? The second time around, with downtown as the place to be, and big dollar signs in David Glass' eyes, he will pay for it on the go around. And we will all be there unable to compress a smirk.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I guess we should start planning on the downtown stadium for 2031 when downtown kicks ass! I'll be 53! Me and my grown up kids can go to games.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Boognish
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Boognish »

We'll be discussing this in less than 10 years.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

Whens Hunt and Glass going to commit to signing the next Elway? Montana? Brett?
Reggie?
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Boognish wrote: We'll be discussing this in less than 10 years.
no, we won't. the renovations will barely even be done in 5 years, no way during the 2015 all star game we are discussing it.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

Actually we'll be discussing how to get rid of both teams asap in less than 5 years especially with stats like these...

Attendance: 11,265 (27.6% full)
Calling a spade a spade.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

ShowME wrote: Attendance: 11,265 (27.6% full)
Who predicted 12k for today?  Pretty good guess.  Imagine what it would be on a weekday game downtown?  Easily double that.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

lock&load wrote: Who predicted 12k for today?  Pretty good guess.  Imagine what it would be on a weekday game downtown?  Easily double that.
wow, that actually made me laugh. funny.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Happy 9th birthday, Yael T. Abouhalkah.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 272769.htm

[quote="Yael Abouhalkah, after opening his present"]Finally, for all the skeptics out there — those who haughtily proclaimed the issue was “going down in flames,â€
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

If I ever see Mr. Abonagej law onr j  walking down the sidewalk, I'll be sure to swerve to miss that rock in the middle of the road.  What a joke.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

He is easily the one of the biggest tools on the planet.  He's smart enough to know how terrible this plan was for the people of Jackson County, but he chose to just go right along with it.  Then he pulls this "na na nananana" crap.  What a joke of a journalist.  I'm sure he'll exhibit this kind of behavior on Ruckus as well.

Seriously....WTF????  If he has kids, they should be embarrassed of daddy's drivel.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

lock&load wrote: Who predicted 12k for today?  Pretty good guess.  Imagine what it would be on a weekday game downtown?  Easily double that.
Rockies are equally shitty and their 2nd game drew 18,553 at a downtown park....kind of small sample size but just giving an example.  Could argue KC is a bigger baseball city though too....lots of factors, not just location of the park.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Lets move Downtown to the TSC.  That might turn out to be easier.  ;)
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

skim82 wrote: In KC, Lamar put in 17%, and Cheap ass Glass put in 7%.....  That means the taxpayers got hosed, not to mention as of right now, we're not getting a SuperBowl, or a Final 4. 
It is for this reason that I can only laugh at JackCo people that fired darts at JoCo residents about Bi State II failing. 

WE AREN'T THAT STUPID.

Evidently, just over half of JackCo voter ARE stupid when it comes to cowering in the shadow of their beloved Chiefs and it's owner.

17%.....BFD!
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze