GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by ericwyner »

with remote work, how much of the federal building is occupied? and hasn't the amount space occupied in the AT&T building been downsized?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

ericwyner wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:31 pm with remote work, how much of the federal building is occupied? and hasn't the amount space occupied in the AT&T building been downsized?
70-80%ish. They’ve consolidated a few mish mashed agencies to the offices in the past few years. Also the Army corps seems to have expanded their footprint in recent years there.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:06 pm
ericwyner wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:31 pm with remote work, how much of the federal building is occupied? and hasn't the amount space occupied in the AT&T building been downsized?
70-80%ish. They’ve consolidated a few mish mashed agencies to the offices in the past few years. Also the Army corps seems to have expanded their footprint in recent years there.
I thought that the ATT building was mostly computers and not desks?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

langosta wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:11 pm
I’m talking Richard Bolling, i can’t speak to the At&T building
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

langosta wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:11 pm
those certainly aren't room sized anymore
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

It's probably mostly servers now, right? Like many have pointed out, longlines/telephone buildings like this are almost impossible to decommission for any number of reasons. Every city has one
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:27 pm It's probably mostly servers now, right? Like many have pointed out, longlines/telephone buildings like this are almost impossible to decommission for any number of reasons. Every city has one
That is my understanding. Even if switch gear has shrunk, all lines feeding the same place is a major cost to move. Also, whose to say they haven’t back filled anything space that’s come available with more capacity or data centers.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:42 pm I attended the game today. Yes, it was windy, but the kids enjoyed getting splashed with water from the fountains. People were having a good time too. Leaving with a win is the highlight of today.

The fact no one shows up to the games is because of three factors.
1. Location. Why attend a game where you can only arrive by driving, sit in traffic to leave, and have to manage how much you drink so you don't drive home drunk?
2. Team performance. The last few years, the team has sucked. They're over .500 for the first time since 2022. I know it's early, but this is a decent position to start the season in.
3. TV blackout. Perhaps the most important thing that needs to be addressed is getting the games broadcast back on a local TV network. I have several friends who have the free trial of the Bally's app and they all say the experience sucks. It's not a service they want to pay for. When you have a literal live-game blackout like that, of course people won't attend games. They don't know how the team is doing.

If the team performs similarly well over the course of the month (from April 7th to May 7th), attendance numbers should increase some, but will never get close to being full.
It's essential the royals fix their tv rights. They are losing generations of new fans based off an outdated model.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:44 am
Chris Stritzel wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:42 pm I attended the game today. Yes, it was windy, but the kids enjoyed getting splashed with water from the fountains. People were having a good time too. Leaving with a win is the highlight of today.

1. Location. Why attend a game where you can only arrive by driving, sit in traffic to leave, and have to manage how much you drink so you don't drive home drunk?
2. Team performance. The last few years, the team has sucked. They're over .500 for the first time since 2022. I know it's early, but this is a decent position to start the season in.
3. TV blackout. Perhaps the most important thing that needs to be addressed is getting the games broadcast back on a local TV network. I have several friends who have the free trial of the Bally's app and they all say the experience sucks. It's not a service they want to pay for. When you have a literal live-game blackout like that, of course people won't attend games. They don't know how the team is doing.

If the team performs similarly well over the course of the month (from April 7th to May 7th), attendance numbers should increase some, but will never get close to being full.
It's essential the royals fix their tv rights. They are losing generations of new fans based off an outdated model.
The contract expires at the end of the season
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:51 am

It's what they do with it that matters. It might involve taking less television money in the short term. It's essential that people can watch the team and get to know the players.

Bally's has been disastrous, ever more here because so many people use Google right when the team was disastrous.

No one is paying extra for that.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:53 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:51 am

It's what they do with it that matters. It might involve taking less television money in the short term. It's essential that people can watch the team and get to know the players.

Bally's has been disastrous, ever more here because so many people use Google right when the team was disastrous.

No one is paying extra for that.
Ownership has acknowledged the issues with it, and fully understands that more cultural relevance is key. I doubt they fumble that one
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Could the team work out a deal with any of the local tv stations (Fox4, KMBC, KSHB, or KCTV)? Or would that have to be through the station’s parent organizations.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

There are something like 50 over-the-air stations live in KC right now. Put the Royals on any of those and start building a regional network again.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Media rights are a bit more complicated than the discussion being had here. There is a still a chance Royals could be on Amazon streaming (or otherwise) within this season. https://archive.ph/sTL1N
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

bspecht wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:52 pm Media rights are a bit more complicated than the discussion being had here. There is a still a chance Royals could be on Amazon streaming (or otherwise) within this season. https://archive.ph/sTL1N
I still foresee a long term restructuring that includes MLB bringing in rights to their umbrella, and less or no blackouts in the future. They have to know they’re killing their potential and reach, right?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Royals now second in AL Central. #1 in bets for the Wildcard. Won against the Astros 11-2 tonight. 7 of those runs were in the 3rd inning.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:27 pm
bspecht wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:52 pm Media rights are a bit more complicated than the discussion being had here. There is a still a chance Royals could be on Amazon streaming (or otherwise) within this season. https://archive.ph/sTL1N
I still foresee a long term restructuring that includes MLB bringing in rights to their umbrella, and less or no blackouts in the future. They have to know they’re killing their potential and reach, right?
I agree with this but not sure on the timeline.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

30 media rights deals in MLB. All are owned by individual teams. That is why games are unavailable in local markets on MLB.TV. MLB.TV doesn't have the rights to broadcast in those markets.

Amazon is finalizing its buyout of Diamond Sports. It could be late summer before that is wrapped up so I would doubt there will be a platform change this season. All other teams have various end dates for their contracts. So the Amazon deal might be a bridge to collect those contracts as they end and bring them under MLB's control.

Royals broadcast deal ends this year so beyond 2024 is up for grabs. If I owned the Royals I would want to get them on broadcast TV so I could control add revenue and set fees for cable and streaming services.

Either way, I think we have a messy few years coming up for MLB. They have been lapped by the NFL and are losing ground to MLS. Both have, in their own ways, parity and central control of their media. MLB will never go in the direction of MLS, and to get revenue sharing and salary caps there will likely have to be a prolonged lockout.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Royals are whooping Houston’s ass in the last game of this series. Bottom of the 1st: 9 runs.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:47 pm Royals are whooping Houston’s ass in the last game of this series. Bottom of the 1st: 9 runs.
And how many people are there?

I had a conversation with someone here I won't name, but they can if they want.

What if you could just walk in to a game? Sit at a bar and watch over lunch. It's time to rethink baseball stadiums.