Fixing the KC Zoo (ongoing)

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Re: Fixing the KC Zoo (ongoing)

Post by QueSi2Opie »

trailerkid wrote:Zoo director Wistoff is talking to the Star about the $30 million bond issue. He says he is excited the bond issue has come up so early in his time with the zoo. The zoo will have a new master plan by the vote on April 9. A few ideas already in place for the money...
--Conversion of the original zoo building (built in 1909) into a jungle or rain forest exhibit.
--Dumping the continental themes and just making sure to put the animals in front of people
--Adding a polar bear exhibit in the central valley
--fixing buildings, deferred maintainance

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 736295.htm

I think I support plugging money into the zoo, but I would like to see a master plan that is goal-oriented. How much more capital must be plugged into the zoo to bring it up to par and increase attendence? What should the zoo look like in 10 years?
The best idea I've still heard is gettin' skyway gondolas at the zoo.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

"Other improvements could include a petting
zoo..."
A petting zoo? Yay! :o

:cheers:
There is no fifth destination.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

FangKC wrote:A petting zoo? Yay! :o

:cheers:
That would be good because they would bring prairie dogs back to the zoo.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Here is the breakdown of finances from The Star...

• Question 2 on the April ballot asks voters to approve $30 million in bonds for zoo projects.

• Approval would not require a tax increase.

Breakdown of the $30 million zoo bonds:

• $11 million for deferred maintenance.

• $11 million for polar bear exhibit.

• $ 4 million for tropical building.

• $ 2 million for petting zoo.

• $ 2 million for new paths, shortcut to Africa

“Our mission, our vision, is to make Kansas City one of the best zoos in the country,â€
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

trailerkid wrote:The zoo will have a new master plan by the vote on April 9. A few ideas already in place for the money...
--Conversion of the original zoo building (built in 1909) into a jungle or rain forest exhibit.
--Dumping the continental themes and just making sure to put the animals in front of people
--Adding a polar bear exhibit in the central valley
--fixing buildings, deferred maintainance

I think I support plugging money into the zoo, but I would like to see a master plan that is goal-oriented. How much more capital must be plugged into the zoo to bring it up to par and increase attendence? What should the zoo look like in 10 years?
Will we have the opportunity to take a peak at the Master Plan being unveiled in 8 days?

I'm in agreement with tk on this one. Before KCitians are asked to vote, more info such as a Master Plan must be made available for review.

Question: how much money has been spent by the KC Zoo in the last decade? Two decades?
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Dan, do you know the operating budget and funding is of the StL Zoo? I would bet it totally blows away the KC Zoo.

Doesn't the StL Zoo have a permanant funding source that includes all of StL County and City and possibly more?

Regional funding for regional projects is the answer. KCMO needs to fund basic repairs and get the Zoo up to par, then the metro area should fund the master plan with a semi-permanant tax (that should be renewed to keep in check) and lower tickets or make the Zoo free.

Same goes for Union Station and other major civic assets.

I know, I'm dreaming.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

The Pitch has a story detailing how the zoo got to where it is now from 15 years ago. They say the once-popular "naturalist" approach has faltered elsewhere. Seattle and other cities spent money fixing the designs while KC plugged along.

http://www.pitch.com/issues/2004-04-01/ ... index.html
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Doing away with the naturalist approach may bring more visitors, but is that all we're trying to do? Maybe we could put bumper cars and strippers if we're just trying to up the attendence.

From the Pitch letters....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bull Run
Animal kingdom: Reading Kendrick Blackwood's "Bear Market" (April 1) has me thoroughly depressed. For the record, I am a member of the KC Zoo and probably will be as long as I have young children.

I was never a fan of zoos in general, mainly because of the stuffy, confined quarters that most of the animals had to endure. The recent modifications to the zoo in KC, namely the huge expansion of land (and, therefore, the animals' "quarters") changed my mind about zoos. I was very happy to see that the animals had at least somewhat ample room to operate. Why shouldn't the animals have more room? It's only humane to think of them, and we should do what we can to make them as happy as possible.

What disturbs me the most is the talk around town concerning the zoo. It seems to me that all I hear about is all the "walking" you have to do when you go to the zoo. God forbid people should get off their lazy asses and walk some on the weekends! I have a four-year-old daughter who loves to go to the zoo, and she walks just about the entire time. Kids need to learn the value of walking -- it's good for them! In this day and age of rising obesity in this country, people should welcome a chance to spend a day in the sun with their kids getting some exercise. Blackwood's article states that a round-trip walk from the parking lot to Africa is a whopping 3.2 miles. A chance to get some fresh air, see some animals in a somewhat natural environment, some quality educational time with your children, and on top of that, you'll burn some extra calories.

Quit whining, people! Get out to the zoo and walk -- er, I mean, grab a Coke and some chips, and let's turn on the game!
David Chael
Kansas City, Missouri
ChicagoSTLman
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by ChicagoSTLman »

I ran into this site on accident. I am from Chicago and I find it funny that KC thinks so highly of itself. I have been to and lived in STL and have visited often to Omaha, my sister lives there now, and Kansas City is nothing. Compare it to Memphis, Chicago, NY, Dallas, STL...it is nothing. I would put it in the same area as Omaha, but there is more to do in Omaha. Apparently none of you people have spent an extensive time in Omaha or you would see that the clubs, food, concerts, and people are better. The only thing KC has is WOF and better shopping, but no for long. Next time you want to dog on a city, remember people in other cities make fun of yours much in the same manner.
plus KC has 1.7 million in the metro, Omaha has 1.2, and you are compareing it to Witchita,KS with 400,000 and Des Moines 500,000 and Springfield do they even have 100.000?
Why don't we compare KC to Chicago 14 million and see how far we get.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

This thread is about the zoo...I believe you are looking for this topic, "Misinformation and me flaming about KC sucking."

I think Chicago is trash anyway--- a busted Midwest crap version of NYC.
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

Wonder what was up that guys a$$??

Well, you probably don't need to hear this from me... but I think there is alot more to do in KC than in Omaha. I just happen to be happy with the things we have to do in Omaha (and still like living in a '20 minute' city).

And for the record Chicago ... there are more like 2 million people in KC and 800,000 in Omaha (ie KC is fast approaching 3X the size).
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

ChicagoSTLman wrote:I ran into this site on accident. I am from Chicago and I find it funny that KC thinks so highly of itself. I have been to and lived in STL and have visited often to Omaha, my sister lives there now, and Kansas City is nothing. Compare it to Memphis, Chicago, NY, Dallas, STL...it is nothing. I would put it in the same area as Omaha, but there is more to do in Omaha. Apparently none of you people have spent an extensive time in Omaha or you would see that the clubs, food, concerts, and people are better. The only thing KC has is WOF and better shopping, but no for long. Next time you want to dog on a city, remember people in other cities make fun of yours much in the same manner.
plus KC has 1.7 million in the metro, Omaha has 1.2, and you are compareing it to Witchita,KS with 400,000 and Des Moines 500,000 and Springfield do they even have 100.000?
Why don't we compare KC to Chicago 14 million and see how far we get.
You have to be kidding me, eomaha, if I say something offensive, don't take it personally, but this guy is clueless. KC is much larger than Omaha, the official population as of 2004 is very close to 2 million and there is close to 2.5 million in the region (including Lawrence, St Joe etc.). Omaha has a nice zoo, but it really doesn’t compare to KC, sorry. KC IS comparable to StL and Denver though, very much so. Where to you get that Omaha has 1.2 million people anyway? I am not going to get into this, but if you keep up with the ignorant rants, I am sure the KC forumers can rip Omaha to shreads. But why?, Omaha is a nice town.

BTW, I have been to nearly every major metro in North America, it sounds like you have not even been to KC except WOF.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I didn't even see your post eomaha.com. Nice job.

So anyway, back to the zoo and there is nothing wrong with wanting KC's zoo to be like Omaha's. I went to the "World Famous" San Diego Zoo last summer and I think Omaha compares very well if not beats it.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

ChicagoSTLMan = 2 posts = both flamebait = ignore list

Everybody now!

Oh, and Omaha is cool -- just smaller with all that comes with being smaller, which isn't my taste -- but cool. Way cool.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Nothing wrong with Omaha-- I hate how this always turns into crap.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

chicagoSTLman....you are funny......just admit where you are really from and it will all be good.

No problem with you pimping you city on here, just come clean :D
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
ChicagoSTLman
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by ChicagoSTLman »

I was born June 1, 1980 at Barnes hospital (nowBarnes-Jewish Hospital) In STL. I lived in Florrisant,MO until 1993 when I moved to Chicago. I am currently liveing in Niles,IL (right by O'hare) No I am not from Omaha. I am however into watching cities grow. I keep A VERY close eye on cities that are expanding fast. (i.e. LV, San Antonio, KC (KS side), and Omaha caught my eye with its billion $ facelift. When my sister married a Linden Police Officer, they moved to Omaha to live with his mother. So I went and visited them for the first time last summer. I was very surprised by Omaha and the fun that I had and still have when i go there. KC is not the only site i sound off on... Milwaukee thinks they are better than Chicago now lol so I had to put them into place. My remarks unfounded? A solidaded metro area consiste of the city's center point (downtown) and a 50 mile radius of that point. KC 1, 887,100 Omaha 1, 172,400 Des Moines 623, 323 (Urban Area est. 2003 Urban Comparison Report, City of Skokie,IL) Which are the number usually used by developers (term is census drawing or city drawing power) I am just saying Omaha isn't a small town, I think i read on the eomaha guy's website that there are 5 fortune five hundred co.? Keep youre eye to the north. I think these 2 cities better get along, rummor has it Sprint and Qwest with good 'ole gramdpa buffet are looking into a franchise of a professional bskball. team come 2007. (sound fimiliar 1970's Omaha/KC kings???!!)
JivecitySTL
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by JivecitySTL »

ChicagoSTLman-- where did you get the notion that Chicago has 14 million people? The entire metro area has just over 9 million.

Also, I think KC has a lot more to offer than Omaha.

But I don't think KC can favorably compare to Denver or St. Louis. There is just so much more to do in STL at any given moment. Sorry, that's the truth. The population disparity between KC and STL is roughly equal to the size of metropolitan Omaha. I'm not the one who started this comparison here, but for god's sake, KC and St. Louis are still in different leagues when it comes to city stuff.

Omaha is to Kansas City as Kansas City is to St. Louis.

As for the zoos, St. Louis has one of the best in country, let alone the Midwest. It's not only free, but it is also one of the very biggest, with more species represented than any other zoo in the Midwest.
Last edited by JivecitySTL on Sun May 23, 2004 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can't spell STYLE without STL.
www.stl-style.com
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

JivecitySTL wrote: As for the zoos, St. Louis has one of the best in country, let alone the Midwest. It's not only free, but it is also one of the very biggest, with more species represented than any other zoo in the Midwest.
Zoos are torture chambers...you should be proud.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

JivecitySTL wrote:ChicagoSTLman-- where did you get the notion that Chicago has 14 million people? The entire metro area has just over 9 million.

Also, I think KC has a lot more to offer than Omaha.

But I don't think KC can favorably compare to Denver or St. Louis. There is just so much more to do in STL at any given moment. Sorry, that's the truth. The population disparity between KC and STL is roughly equal to the size of metropolitan Omaha. I'm not the one who started this comparison here, but for god's sake, KC and St. Louis are still in different leagues when it comes to city stuff.

Omaha is to Kansas City as Kansas City is to St. Louis.

As for the zoos, St. Louis has one of the best in country, let alone the Midwest. It's not only free, but it is also one of the very biggest, with more species represented than any other zoo in the Midwest.
I... just... can't... take it... anymore!

Man, cool it with the comparisons. These are driving me insane. Do you just saunter in here and post "STL is better" posts to make yourself feel better? Do you have some advanced scientific criteria by which you've made that determination?

You couldn't possibly know everything there is to know about Kansas City or STL, and even if you did, your interpretation is subject to your own biases and your judgement.

You know, I like both cities. I prefer Kansas City and have more fun here. Does that make it better? Nope. It is my taste. A different set of factors are important to me.

It is refreshing to see that people are so proud of their cities, but it would be nice if it didn't have to be reinforced by trying to make yourself look tough next to your peers. I think we can move this beyond a 5th grade level of discussion and say something constructive besides "STL is clearly better because I say so."

You know as well as I do that such statements are useless, so save it. If Kansas City is so dull, stop wasting your time posting here and go out and do something in St. Louis.