OFFICIAL: The Legends at Village West

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Legends tenants

Post by KCK »

New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Legends tenants

Post by KCPowercat »

you know what I could see out there? Gameworks or Dave & Busters.....I really don't see something like HRC although they have been mentioned in the business journal article this week.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Legends tenants

Post by KCK »

KC wrote:you know what I could see out there? Gameworks or Dave & Busters.....I really don't see something like HRC although they have been mentioned in the business journal article this week.
I agree HRC would look stupid out in the middle of a farm field. GameWorks would kick ass though, but imagine it downtown instead. As long as its in the metro area I will be happy.

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Legends tenants

Post by KCPowercat »

I agree I'd rather have it downtown at KC Live! but I especially Dave & Busters I always see in suburban areas.

KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Legends tenants

Post by KCK »

I dont know if this is going to work out or not. Look at this pic. This is Nebraska Furniture Mart. Legends will be built where the cars on the dirt are parked. By the looks of it, it will be more plaza-like than big boxish, but dont quote me on that.

KCK IS BACK!!!!
TheDude
Strip mall
Strip mall

Legends tenants

Post by TheDude »

have heard that Dave and Busters may make it out there; i just dont know anymore. heard that legends is having some trouble due to a lack of a theater and also now due to perceived or actual competition in downtown.
"ALWAYS be closing"
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Legends tenants

Post by KCPowercat »

Phoenix theatres and Amni's Galleria?

In the words of the Missouri president's wife

" Them crackers is shakin' "

KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Legends tenants

Post by KCK »

Just curious KC, where in the area did you live?

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Legends tenants

Post by KCPowercat »

Before I went to college I lived on like 78th then moved out to Turn 3 of the Kansas Speedway, parents moved when I was in college...went to school in the hood though.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Legends tenants

Post by trailerkid »

Doesn't it seem like the Legends needs a real hotel to go along with all this wacky stuff?

I would never have any reason to stay at Great Wolf and the themed Hampton Inn isn't what a lot of people would have in mind. The Anniversary Inn also had a themed, tacky thing going on.

I remember seeing some plans for a hotel/convention center somewhere on the site plan. It seems like for Legends to be a "tourist destination" it should have a Hilton or a Sheraton for people wanting a normal place to stay.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Legends tenants

Post by QueSi2Opie »

trailerkid wrote:Doesn't it seem like the Legends needs a real hotel to go along with all this wacky stuff?

I would never have any reason to stay at Great Wolf and the themed Hampton Inn isn't what a lot of people would have in mind. The Anniversary Inn also had a themed, tacky thing going on.

I remember seeing some plans for a hotel/convention center somewhere on the site plan. It seems like for Legends to be a "tourist destination" it should have a Hilton or a Sheraton for people wanting a normal place to stay.
There's an American Inn and Holiday Inn down the road.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Legends tenants

Post by KCPowercat »

GiL reports a deal done with Dillards and possibly one other tenant such as Sears.
Last edited by KCPowercat on Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Legends tenants

Post by GuyInLenexa »

Hey! That was me!!!! :D

On the Sears, the new concept is called "Sears Grand" it will be over 200,000 square feet, much like a Super Target or a Wal-Mart Supercenter
groceries, everything.
The Sears deal in not complete. It would not really surprise me though, I read about Sears making some bold attempts for a come back.
I know these tennants are not Harrod's or Neiman-Marcus, but they are succesful retailers that will draw people in.
The Legends will still be a unique shopping area, despite some of the vanilla flavored tenants
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Legends tenants

Post by trailerkid »

I think the Sears Grand thing is cool, but I would be a little scared about how long it would stick around. Sears is a somewhat troubled chain and there are only a few Sears Grand stores in the country. The only one I know of is at one of the Mills malls outside of Chicago.

I can't really see the vision for a flaghip Dillard's as I thought Legends was more of a retailtainment thing (weirdo stores you can't see anywhere else). If flagship just means that it is basically the best and biggest kind of store they build, they usually have those "flagship" stores at major retail centers like Plaza or StL Galleria that have upscale stores surrounding it.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Legends tenants

Post by GRID »

Dillards? Sears Grand sounds interesting but Dillards will not make it out there. I don't even see how Sears could sell groceries in an area where anything bought frozen would be melted by the time a shopper reached home.

Anyway, I was at NFM over the weekend and the parking lots are not near as full as they once were. Is the newness already wearing off.

BTW, NFM is an ok place to look at a lot of stuff, but it's not a freaking tourist attraction, it's a store that many people go to in order to compare furnature prices etc, like Benchmark etc.

Oh and BTW, QUE, you are always making fun of how Missouri people dress. I would bet that half the people in that place are from Missouri by looking at the plates in the parking lots and when you go inside, the other half are wearing some type of ku or kstate gear. Do kansans have any other weekend clothing? ;). I guess they gotta show off thier teams to others in the biggest tourist attraction in KS :mrgreen:.

NFM is ok though, not close to much of anything, but it's ok. Really need to start putting up some homes and apartments out there though, you see cows at like just west of 635, instead they are going up NW of the speedway when there is 15 miles of open land that could be filled in east and south of the speedway.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Legends tenants

Post by trailerkid »

Grid...I am with you about NFM.

First off, this is Kansas City...not Nebraska, not Omaha...giant furniture stores with boring furniture are not going to attract that many tourists. The Omaha store is a little different as it is a city landmark, a campus with multiple buildings attached to each other, a food court, etc. They might have had a lot of customers in the the Kansas City area, but a lot of people have never been, don't know what it is, and couldn't care less. Even in Lawrence (less than 30 miles away) I have heard little to no talk of anyone going there. It is not a must see. To be honest, I'm not sure it would've even done well had it not been attached to Village West. IKEA would've been a better choice as it has more name recognition and offers a wide selection of products not currently available in the KC market.

I think Dillard's is a misstep as companion fashion stores like Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, or whatever else won't be touching Village West. I would imagine what will be there is destination-type retail (Old Navy Flagship, Virgin, Build-A-Bear, maybe Nordstrom Rack). Traditional shopping centers fit Dillard's better than something like this, but I could be wrong.

Sears Grand would be cool because it is such an oddity. I guess there is a store in Utah and one opening soon at Gurnee Mills outside Chicago. It is basically a "next generation" Sears store that could be everywhere if they succeed. They have a leg up on Target and Wal-Mart by offering higher end brands...Nike, Land's End, Craftsmen along with all the grocery merchandise. They could attract the "supercenter" shoppers who don't like the lower quality clothes, housewares, tools, etc. of Target and Wal-Mart.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Legends tenants

Post by trailerkid »

I didn't know that in addition RED was offering discounted rent to all the Legends tenants. Looks like the taxpayers will not only own the theater, but will also help pay the rent for the Legends tenants.

Check this out....
Those kinds of figures, Lowe says, also help RED find tenants that would not have considered Kansas City’s immediate demographics otherwise. Thanks to the costs defrayed by Star Bonds, the company will also lure tenants with below-market rents (market rates range from $15 per square foot to $25 per square foot); some high-volume stores will pay percentage rents, too.
http://www.reddevelopment.com/news/2003june1.asp
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Legends tenants

Post by dangerboy »

If they are bringing in Sears and Applebees, it sounds like the rumors of Hard Rock Cafe and Virgin Mega Store were greatly exaggerated.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Legends tenants

Post by GuyInLenexa »

The Legends will be a destination spot. The vicinity already is. I am kind of impressed about Dillard’s locating there. Dillard’s is one of the surviving department store chains but they are having to reinvent themselves like all the others.
The new store that will be at TLs is going to be a new concept store compared to the Dillard’s we see in most regional malls.
The Legends is more or less a new reinvention of the old regional mall we are used to from the 20th century. Look at other major malls currently under construction now and you will see the buzz words like “destinationâ€
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Legends tenants

Post by trailerkid »

I think it is hard to compare Legends to anything other than the Mills malls or the Cordish developments. Jordan Creek is reliant on demographics in its neighborhood. Legends has no ties to any demographics of KCK, just metro demographics. Stores and restaurants are not coming to Legends because they see West Wy Co as a booming suburb, they are coming there for tourists and tax incentives.

It is the same as downtown. Right now, downtown KC could not support a massive entertainment/retail district based on its demographics, but it could support it based on tourists.