www.saveourstadiums.com

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: www.saveourstadiums.com

Post by kard »

bahua wrote: Yeah, we need to confiscate more signs on Ward Parkway.
Just drive down the sidewalk mowing them over.  They're rather difficult to pull from the ground.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Propaganda baseball! We don't need no steeinking mailboxes!
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Kard, there is NO organized "vote no" effort.  It's just the usual anti-tax groups like the Jackson County Taxpayers Association or the Neighborhood Action Group.  Their concern is taxes, not the broader discussion about the best stadium strategy for the community.  They will probably oppose a downtown baseball stadium if we ever get to vote on one.

If you are looking for an all-encompassing "no" campaign with a snazzy web site and lots of yard signs, then I'm sorry tell you that it's not going to happen.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

dangerboy wrote: If you are looking for an all-encompassing "no" campaign with a snazzy web site and lots of yard signs, then I'm sorry tell you that it's not going to happen.
How would someone go about starting one?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

beautyfromashes wrote: How would someone go about starting one?
Regsitering a politcal action committee with the state ethics board, soliciting donations, buying signs, advertising, etc.  It's too late to start a new committee at this point.  Six months ago would have been the time to start the paper work and stuff.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

I guess I'll just print up my own sign and stick it in my yard.  Grassroots movement!
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

dangerboy wrote: Regsitering a politcal action committee with the state ethics board, soliciting donations, buying signs, advertising, etc.  It's too late to start a new committee at this point.  Six months ago would have been the time to start the paper work and stuff.
I don't really like people telling me I can't do something. I'm sure there is someone who could spearhead this, at least enough to get yardsigns.  I will personally donate enough to buy 500 yard signs.  Who likes a challenge?
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

beautyfromashes wrote: I don't really like people telling me I can't do something. I'm sure there is someone who could spearhead this, at least enough to get yardsigns.  I will personally donate enough to buy 500 yard signs.  Who likes a challenge?
Well...I don't want to get in trouble, and I think these guys running the "plaster Ward Parkway with big blue signs" campaign would definetly challenge anything that's not done "correctly".

Maybe I or someone else can whip up a PDF people can have printed themselves?
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

You can make whatever signs you want on your own, create your own web site, etc.  The legal issue is raising money.  You have to create a campaign committee if you want to take donations.

BTW, whoever suggested removing the other side's signs... That's illegal.  People have gone to jail for doing it.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

dangerboy wrote: BTW, whoever suggested removing the other side's signs... That's illegal.  People have gone to jail for doing it.
It's illegal for those signs to be there. Signs can only go up 30 days before the election and also they are on public property, not private residences.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

I don't know about the 30 bit...  But the ones I've seen on Ward Parkway were on the house-side of the sidewalk, if that makes any difference at all.  They were encroaching over the sidewalk, which I thought was a tad annoying.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

LenexatoKCMO wrote:  Shields stooped to suggesting they would be contracted.  Kietz pointed out that MLB has put contraction to bed  . 
i heard this replayed on between the lines yesterday afternoon, at 6. umm, kietz debated well, so did helling, but one point i liked, "this will be so and so amount of dollars over the life of the tax".............to which reeder said, when you buy a house, do you say you are buying a $185k house, or do you say over the 25 year life of the loan and principle, i am buying a $260k house. and that is accurate, kietz keeps on talking out his ass about it will be so many more dollars over 25 years................no fucking shit. called intrest, and inflation. bottom line, the MOST jackson county taxpayers are on the hook for ( question 1 ) is $450m. no more. so, to keep saying it will be over 650m over 25 years, that is great and all, however, it is not accurate. 450m from taxpayers, plus 50m from a state fund, plus 100m from the teams, and intrest and inflation, yeah, it goes way over 600m. but the taxpayers ONLY pay the 450m. bottom line.

and the quote i highlited is BULLSHIT. show me anywhere, and i mean anywhere, where mlb put contraction to bed. they did not. they said with the last cba, that contraction would not happen in 2002, but in 2007, the union, and mlb, would NOT fight contraction. contraction, did not go away, it went on a stay of execution. either way, the royals are not a prime target for contraction, the marlins, devil rays, and twins are way higher on the list then us.
Kard wrote: I don't know about the 30 bit... But the ones I've seen on Ward Parkway were on the house-side of the sidewalk, if that makes any difference at all. They were encroaching over the sidewalk, which I thought was a tad annoying.
yeah, i called the city of kcmo today, and talked to them, they have NEVER heard of this.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

I'd be happy to buy some signs, even set up a website if no one else is going to do it.  The guy with the "No, I can't afford it" committee, he seems reasonably down to earth, anyone remember his name?  There has to at least be a website for the NO side, if nothing else.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I actually agree with Chef, Kietz is poorly informed on contraction. It is in the new CBA that the league can contract in 2007, as long as they notify the union by June 1, 2006. They don't have to say which two clubs they plan to contract.

Do I think they will contract? No way in hell. They will use it as a hammer to get new stadiums in Florida, Minnesota and Oakland, and renovations in KC.

Regardless, I think its a long way from happening. The legal ramifications of contraction will take years to entangle before any teams can be folded. Jackson County would sue, KC would sue, the state of Missouri would sue. If Jackson County rejects the April renovations vote, we still have PLENTY of time to negotiate a better deal, whether that be at the TSC, or elsewhere in the metro. The myth that renovation supporters propagate that the teams will move immediately if voters reject this boondoggle is absurd.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCMax wrote: I actually agree with Chef, Kietz is poorly informed on contraction. It is in the new CBA that the league can contract in 2007, as long as they notify the union by June 1, 2006. They don't have to say which two clubs they plan to contract.

Do I think they will contract? No way in hell. They will use it as a hammer to get new stadiums in Florida, Minnesota and Oakland, and renovations in KC.

Regardless, I think its a long way from happening. The legal ramifications of contraction will take years to entangle before any teams can be folded. Jackson County would sue, KC would sue, the state of Missouri would sue. If Jackson County rejects the April renovations vote, we still have PLENTY of time to negotiate a better deal, whether that be at the TSC, or elsewhere in the metro. The myth that renovation supporters propagate that the teams will move immediately if voters reject this boondoggle is absurd.
if april 4th fails, the royals will NOT be contracted, and the chiefs will NOT relocate. however, the county really should step up to the mike and say their ultimate fear............we will lose one or both teams within our own metro. that is the real fear.

contraction? it may or may not happen in 07. i think probably no. but even if it does, kansas city is not in the first or second tier. you have florida, minnessota, tampa bay, and dc, all ahead of us.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I'm voting yes. Professional sports is much more important than education or commerce.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kcdcchef wrote: ............we will lose one or both teams within our own metro. that is the real fear.
ooooh I am shaking in my boots.  What a horrible, horrible outcome. 
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: ooooh I am shaking in my boots.  What a horrible, horrible outcome. 
what, that the teams go and play in kansas, in free stadiums out there?
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

kcdcchef wrote: what, that the teams go and play in kansas, in free stadiums out there?
Free to us JaCoers.  If I have to drive out to a stadium in a sea of parking, wouldn't it be in MY best interest that taxpayers in another area foot the bill?  I could not care less where the location of a suburban stadium is.  JaCo, JoCo, WyCo, whatever.  I sure as hell don't want to pay for it though.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

lock&load wrote: Free to us JaCoers.  If I have to drive out to a stadium in a sea of parking, wouldn't it be in MY best interest that taxpayers in another area foot the bill?  I could not care less where the location of a suburban stadium is.  JaCo, JoCo, WyCo, whatever.  I sure as hell don't want to pay for it though.
you would not have to. it will be just like the tax breaks and freebies kansas gives to all of the other missouri business they steal. it would be free to you. like now.