Metro North Mall

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Metro North Mall

Post by Thrillcekr »

I just heard a rumor yesterday about Metro North from a coworker.  He said someone told him that Metro North was going to be converted into a college campus.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

interesting... possibly cleveland chiropractic?
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

Dunno man.  He really didn't have any details. 
Gorlock
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Gorlock »

It won't be Cleveland Chiropractic, as far as I know.  It must be some other school.
KCJason
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KCJason »

Its about time..

Colorado firm will redevelop Metro North, Metcalf South

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... st=b_ln_hl

"Metro North will be renamed The Streets at Barry Towne and be redeveloped into 2.1 million square feet of retail, residential, restaurant and entertainment space, including a theater, a commons area for community events and park-like areas."

Sounds promising... This will allow the major retail to either migrate to the ZR area or the Liberty/Shoal Creek  area.  I just hope they are not planning another movie theater, AMC is too close.  It will be interesting to see renderings.
Check out my new blog at http://kcnorthland.blogspot.com
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by zlohban »

My neighbor works for JCPenny and he said today that a new free standing JCP will open in November 2007 in the Liberty Area.  I am not a fan of JCP but I wonder if the Metro North store will stay open?
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

Sounds like great news to me.  It doesn't make sense to have a building that occupies that much space on such a significant artery when it no longer yields a respectable amount of revenue for the city.

It sounds to me like they're going to be tearing the old mall down.  Not sure there would be any other way to convert it into the vision they have in mind without completely razing what's there now.  Wouldn't hurt my feelings any.  Nota might be furious though.  :lol:

I'm gonna dig around and see if I can find some of their other projects so maybe we can get a visual idea of what it is they plan on doing.
KCJason
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KCJason »

According to the Star, The Streets of Southglenn in Colorado is another one of their projects.  It is currently under construction but was a similar project, rehabbing an old mall.  From what it looks like, they demolished most of the mall.

See the following links

http://www.newsouthglenn.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southglenn_Mall
Check out my new blog at http://kcnorthland.blogspot.com
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

Excellent find Jason.  Alberta's website is probably the worst I've seen so this site is probably the only one that could give us some kind of a clue as to what's in store for metro north.  There was a link on that page to the official website for that project for anyone interested.

http://mail.albdev.com/southglenn/
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

What's interesting is that when I was at Metro North a couple of weeks ago, I noticed a couple of new stores there.

I wonder what the timetable really is. No question I won't be here to see it.
BadBIrdlb
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by BadBIrdlb »

what kind of stores?

A lot of shops sign seasonal leases for the christmas/thanksgiving.
Marreekarr
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Marreekarr »

Calling Metro North and Metcalf South, both suburban malls, 'The Streets' seems odd to me.  When I go to a mall I want to get off of the 'streets'.  But indoor malls have never made sense to me anyway so what do I know?  I'd raze Metcalf and stick another big box there. 
KansasCityChiefs
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KansasCityChiefs »

Looks very similar to Zona Rosa. But that's probably just because all retail/residential/restaurant communities look the same to me.
Kansas City, Bleeding red since 1963.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I noticed in the Dillard's ad there was a little box saying every regular price item at MN only was 20-70% off-- no mention why. Can't help but conclude it'll be shuttered sometime in the new year.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

The rumor in the North is of course that Dillards is moving to Zona and that the Dillards at Metro North will become a Dillards outlet or clearance center or whatever they call that one they have down south.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

nota wrote: The rumor in the North is of course that Dillards is moving to Zona and that the Dillards at Metro North will become a Dillards outlet or clearance center or whatever they call that one they have down south.
Dillard's at Zona is confirmed. There no longer is a Dillard's clearance center here and how it's handled other store closing in the metro doesn't seem to be a good sign this location will be converted. JCP will probably leave soon after and roll out its new concept stores at Tiffany Springs and somewhere in Liberty.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

The Dillard's clearance store at Great Mall was pretty good, as long as you didn't mind the disorganization that's common in clearance stores. The good deals were worth it.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Metro North is about 3-5 years late on renovating.  The demand isn't there for the regional mall retailers to have locations at the new shopping centers and MN.  If they'd have reinvested in the mall a while ago, maybe they wouldn't have lost what they had.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The same company that is proposing to turn Metro North into the Streets at Barry Towne is going to build the Streets at Shoal Creek.  The 800k shopping center, much like Zona Rosa will go in at 152 and Shoal Creek Parkway.

They say they are still planning on doing something with Metro North, but I have my doubts that they do both.
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

I'd be happy if they'd just take the 'Montgomery Ward' signs off the building.
A fool and your money are soon united.