OFFICIAL: H&R Block HQ

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
The Summit
Pad site
Pad site

Post by The Summit »

ShowME wrote:The Summit I agree with you that St. Louis people have more pride in there city saying that you really have the same problem with St. Charles County except St. Louis' situation has one more variable. Companies move from the City to the County then to St. Charles County. Here they move for the most part from KCMO to Johnson County.
I see, I did not know a decision has not been made. So first they are coming to Downtown and then they are going to OP? So where does everyone think they are going? It just seems silly that they would turn their back on KCMO like that with everything that's on the line.

I would think they would have a PR nightmare on their hands. Not to mention such a big nationally known company would have to entertain their visitors and potential employees with a glass box in a parking lot. Although modest, their current HQ is better than anything in OP.

StL has similar problems, but it's not as bad. At least it's in the same state and the people in St. Charles are still big time "St. Louis". I see all over the internet and in person where people in OP and Olathe are anti-KCMO mainly from examples right here on these forums. The only times I hear people in JoCo say positive things about KC is when they refer to the Chiefs and Royals.

Now if St. Charles and West County were in Illinois, it would be similar.

I personally like KC better than StL now, it's really grown on me, but I have never been to a city where so many suburbanites are so clueless about the city and have such little pride or interest in it. It's the same way in Lee's Summit, although I think to a lesser extent. That might be because it's in Missouri or because many LS residents are from KCMO. It could also be that KCMO is right next to LS. I don't know.

I bet most of you don't know that almost every major metropolitan area now has regional funding and governments to not only stop the kind of corporate welfare that is killing KC, but also assist in building arenas, stadiums, transit, arts centers and more.

KC is a great city. Too bad so few people realize it.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

I agree that KCMO is misunderstood in the 'burbs. I suppose that is why we need to take the time to tell them. I don't think it is with contempt that they regard the CITY, it is just a lack of understand/experience. I've often referred suburban friends to offerings in the city. They don't have any incentive to find out unless we tell them it is there.

The urban neighborhoods don't do a good job of promoting themselves. While I think the overwhelming downtown momentum is changing that as it changes the city, we still have a job to do.

On topic, I think it benefits EVERYONE, including OP, if Block opts for downtown. OP stands to gain from a vibrant urban center. Lively downtowns lure young and educated people into the metro. This is the prize demographic, so investment in downtown KC is an investment in the quality of the workforce available all over the metro. Perhaps we need to start sending this message as well.

Great suburbs are built upon great cities. No number of Super Wal-Marts is going to set Kansas City apart. Suburbs are ubiquitous, and though ours are cozy, it is the vibrancy and culture of the city that is going to attract the kind of people that companies need to succeed.

I'm here because I wanted to get on at the first stop. I think we are all on board as well. There is a tremendous amount of civic pride on here and I think the tides are turning overall. For what others lack, lets make up for it.

Locating downtown would be mutually beneficial for the city and Block. Lets hope it happens. Will a bold company make a move like this to start changing the perception of the city, or will we have to boldly change perception to attract the company? We'll soon see, and regardless, I think it is going to take some of both. This could be a great first step.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

This is off the subject, but I was wondering how long it took for Mayor Kay Barnes to respond to those of you that have written her letters/emails? I wrote Mayor Ed Eilert an email three days ago and still haven't received a response. Maybe I'm impatient, or jus' maybe my mayor didn't like what I had to say.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
TheDude
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by TheDude »

Mr. Ed, er Mayor Ed, dont give a sh#t cause he aint running for re-election! as soon as one of fearless leaders lackeys gets of their smoke break i am sure they will respond to you on her behalf.

ok, more from the rumour front--heard that HR Block is making the announcement on Thurs 12/17 they are headed downtown. My money is on downtown.
"ALWAYS be closing"
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

TheDude wrote:ok, more from the rumour front--heard that HR Block is making the announcement on Thurs 12/17 they are headed downtown. My money is on downtown.

Is it Thursday or is it 12/17? :)
TheDude
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by TheDude »

sorry, Thurs 12/18
"ALWAYS be closing"
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

If/when this happens, I think those of us that urged them to move downtown should call or write H&R and the Star commending them for wanting to enhance urban KC.

Bob Schneider
H&R Block Public Relations Manager
bschneider@hrblock.com

You can submit your letters via email at letters@kcstar.com or mail them to 1729 Grand Blvd., Kansas City, MO. 64108.

When other companies see the overwhelmingly positive response of the public to H&R's commitment to KC, it will hopefully guide them to similar actions.
Last edited by trailerkid on Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

TheDude wrote:ok, more from the rumour front--heard that HR Block is making the announcement on Thurs 12/17 they are headed downtown. My money is on downtown.
Dude, you're a rumor roller-coaster! ](*,)
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

QueSi2Opie wrote:
DeadManWalking wrote:H&R Block had better at least stay in the metro area. I wonder why you think it would hurt the metro area for H&R Block to be in Kansas. Does it hurt the metro area for Sprint to be in Kansas. Even if H&R Block moves to Overland Park, the people in Missouri and Kansas who work for them can still be able to keep their jobs.
First off, Sprint was founded in Kansas and has always been headquarted in Kansas.

Secondly, it's not jus' a matter of jobs, it's a matter of abandoning the urban core for the Kansas burbs. If H&R Block goes to JOCO, I'd imagine that the proposed entertainment district and downtown arena would see major set backs, if not die out all together. This would seriously damage downtown KC while OP continues to steal all of KC's thunder. Yes, they're still in the KC Metro, but the shift across state line would be both insulting and damaging to the city. We want to revitalize downtown with a major headquarters, not continue to let the arrogant and greedy leaders of JOCO bribe businesses away from Kansas City.

Maybe Krispy Kremes will anchor the downtown entertainment district. Welcome to Krispy Kremes Arena, home of the Kansas City Donuts indoor soccer franchise.
Blah,Blah,Blah. You dont hear St. Louis people boycotting when a business chooses Clayton over them. Thats because the business stays in their state. But you scream bloody murder. This is a metro area, as long as the jobs stay here and don't move to say Omaha, we should be happy. What it really comes down to is that Missourians dont like Kansas. They want only Missouri to shine,while we sit over here in our farmfields. Maybe there is enough room for us all to shine. Maybe instead of bitching because a business moves to Kansas, you could except that it was their choice and helps create a larger metro area. You can say what you wish, but I have no problem with businesses being in Kansas. The downtown area is expensive to build in, that is a fact. Some want a centrally located corporate office, others dont. We cant change what those companies decide to do.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DMW....there is room for all to shine but when one state just picks off companies from the metro's other state, it's a zero win game....all it gives is more tax breaks. Both sides of the state line need to be looking OUTSIDE the metro to pull in new business.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

KC wrote:DMW....there is room for all to shine but when one state just picks off companies from the metro's other state, it's a zero win game....all it gives is more tax breaks. Both sides of the state line need to be looking OUTSIDE the metro to pull in new business.
Its not like OP just takes businesses from Missouri, KCK has lost business to them as well.

KCK IS BACK!!!!
TheDude
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by TheDude »

KC you have a great point; the only problem is that organizations like KCADC do their job bringing companies to the metro area, but once a company decides to locate here its like tossing a wounded fish into a tank full of hungry sharks. every community is going to bend over backwards to get the big fish in their respective community, and if they dont, their boards/constituents/mayors will be asking whasssup? this game will ALWAYS be played at the lowest common denominator.
"ALWAYS be closing"
LyRiCaL GanGsTa

Post by LyRiCaL GanGsTa »

What it really comes down to is that Missourians dont like Kansas. They want only Missouri to shine,while we sit over here in our farmfields.
You got it... finally a Kansan that gets it. Kansas has been hanging on our shirtails forever, you even named your state after us. Missourians wouldn't be so uptight if Colorado or another cool state was next to us...but we got kansas....ugh. Kansas is associated with the area and we hate it. It doesn't help that you named your state after us (we were incorporated first). I confess I cringe when I hear Kansas - the state -even associated with the KCMO metro. Now everyone in Kansas is trying to get closer to the city - KCMO - and moving to the eastern part of the state, that makes me even more sick to my stomach. I wish the San Andreus fault ran between the state line and an earthqueke would knock Kansas into oblivion and Colorado would jam up against us. Better yet.... Kansas should allow itself to be incorporated by Missouri and then ALL Kansans should move to Oklahoma.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DMW....notice I'm not pointing to one state or community. I don't like it happening any direction. Mo to KS, KS to MO, within KS, within MO....nobody is winning.

KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

LyRiCaL GanGsTa wrote:
What it really comes down to is that Missourians dont like Kansas. They want only Missouri to shine,while we sit over here in our farmfields.
You got it... finally a Kansan that gets it. Kansas has been hanging on our shirtails forever, you even named your state after us. Missourians wouldn't be so uptight if Colorado or another cool state was next to us...but we got kansas....ugh. Kansas is associated with the area and we hate it. It doesn't help that you named your state after us (we were incorporated first). I confess I cringe when I hear Kansas - the state -even associated with the KCMO metro. Now everyone in Kansas is trying to get closer to the city - KCMO - and moving to the eastern part of the state, that makes me even more sick to my stomach. I wish the San Andreus fault ran between the state line and an earthqueke would knock Kansas into oblivion and Colorado would jam up against us. Better yet.... Kansas should allow itself to be incorporated by Missouri and then ALL Kansans should move to Oklahoma.
What a freaking idiot :-k
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
LyRiCaL GanGsTa

Post by LyRiCaL GanGsTa »

Jayhawk... you Kansas retard.
Don't you have some hay to bail or a sister that needs raping?
Why are you hangin' out on this KCMO website.
You don't think Kansas has hung on our shirtails? Look at Corporate Woods, all those companies USED to be in Missouri. Are you stupid? Anyone who coddles to Kansas and thier interest in stealing companies from KCMO should be shot.
Last edited by LyRiCaL GanGsTa on Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheDude
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by TheDude »

all good points, but the one that is resounding is the KS hates MO and MO hates KS--that is a simple fact. during lunch w/ a very prominent development player a few days ago, he reinforced this point by saying there is an all out war right now in the econ dev arena between KS and MO. having attended several chamber/edc meetings on both sides of the state line it becomes very evident that this is the case.

back to HR block--paper shows that a $400 mm entertainment/office development plan (Kansas City Live!) is going to council today for approval while HR will announce on Mon what they are going to do. i would bet that they are waiting for council to approve the plan then will announce on monday that they will occupy the first phase of the office development. i am reservedly (is that a word?) excited about this cause if it passes, and if cordish has some major tenents lined up, and if hr locates there, this will create the momentum we need to make downtown a destination spot. we are on the cusp of something great, historical, awesome. but, having said that, i have been let down before and will believe it when i see it.
"ALWAYS be closing"
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

LyRiCaL GanGsTa wrote:Jayhawk... it's tongue-in-cheek, you Kansas retard.
Don't you have some hay to bail or a sister that needs raping?
typical :-s
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

KC wrote:DMW....notice I'm not pointing to one state or community. I don't like it happening any direction. Mo to KS, KS to MO, within KS, within MO....nobody is winning.
In a perfect world everything would be downtown, but Kansas City is far from perfect. If a business wants to move inside the metro area, but to a different state or city so it can remain competitive, that is a good idea. I could see legislation passed not letting either state offer special incentives hurting the metro area as a whole. Instead of a business moving to Overland Park, or Kansas City, it will leave Kansas and Missouri for Nebraska, or Illinois, or Texas, and we will be left sitting here with our thumbs up our ass wondering how we could have kept those jobs, that money, at least in the area. Being from KCK and having my city lose jobs, business, and people to Johnson county and Kansas City, MO I know how bad this kind of thing is, but at least I was still able to get a job in Shawnee so that I could come back to KCK and spend my money. At least there is job growth in the area, so after I graduate college, I might still be able to live in my hometown and not have to move away.

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Dude....agree on ALL points.

If ANY councilperson votes no on this plan knowing that H&R is probably just waiting for the approval before announcement, they should be sent to KC Masterpiece to eat BBQ for a lifetime.