San Diego

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Re: San Diego

Post by bahua »

SD(city and metro) is about twice as populous as KC. The city is actually about three times the size.

But no, that's not why the cost of living is ridiculous there. SD, nice as it may be, is not immune to being in California, where real estate is an obsession. SD has downtown baseball, a thriving downtown, and a heavily used trolley system, but that doesn't make it unique. Not even in California.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

bahua wrote: SD(city and metro) is about twice as populous as KC. The city is actually about three times the size.

But no, that's not why the cost of living is ridiculous there. SD, nice as it may be, is not immune to being in California, where real estate is an obsession. SD has downtown baseball, a thriving downtown, and a heavily used trolley system, but that doesn't make it unique. Not even in California.
What?  SD is not that much bigger than KC and if you have ever been there, it "feels" about the same size as KC.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I've been there.

The city is about 1.2 million, and the metro is about 3 million.

I agree that it doesn't feel the same as other top ten cities in America, but to me, it definitely feels bigger than KC.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

It's about 3 million, KC is about 2 million.  So it's not three times bigger, but a third bigger ;).

I have been there too.  When I say it feels like KC, I mean the region, not the urban core hustle and bustle.

Too much going on in SD for KC to compete, transit, ballpark, a zillion condos, waterfronts, etc.  KC has way too many dead spots and dead time periods and a lack of bustle outside the freaking plaza.

Anyway, I know what you are saying.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Yeah, and I say the twice as large thing for the metros, because I vehemently disagree with the arbitrary designation of the KC metro as inclusive of a dozen or so rural counties that are patently not in the KC area, just to drive the metro population up closer to 2 million, from roughly 1.6 million in the five-county actual metro.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

SD County is bigger than our five counties put together.  90% of our population is in 20% of our MSA land mass.  SD has just as much exurban development, if not more than KC.

Just saying.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

San Diego is the 17th largest metro area in the US with 2.9 million.  It is the 7th largest city with 1.25 million.

Source:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... litan_area
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

GRID wrote: It's about 3 million, KC is about 2 million.  So it's not three times bigger, but a third bigger ;).

I have been there too.  When I say it feels like KC, I mean the region, not the urban core hustle and bustle.

Too much going on in SD for KC to compete, transit, ballpark, a zillion condos, waterfronts, etc.  KC has way too many dead spots and dead time periods and a lack of bustle outside the freaking plaza.

Anyway, I know what you are saying.
No.  San Diego itself has close 1.3 million.  Kansas City, Mo has 450,000.  That'd be pretty damn close to three times larger.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Thrillcekr wrote: No.  San Diego itself has close 1.3 million.  Kansas City, Mo has 450,000.  That'd be pretty damn close to three times larger.
he's talking metro, which is what counts. 
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

You're fired!
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

chrizow wrote: he's talking metro, which is what counts. 
The name of the thread is San Diego.  Not San Diego metro.  The author of the thread was speaking of the city of San Diego.  Not San Diego county.  Hence the reason he didn't mention Ocean Beach, Loma Vista, National City, Bonita or a host of other cities in San Diego County.  Therefore it isn't what counts. 
Last edited by Thrillcekr on Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Thrillcekr wrote: The name of the thread is San Diego.  Not San Diego metro.  The author of the thread was speaking of the city of San Diego.  Not San Diego county.  Hence the reason he didn't mention Ocean Beach, Loma Vista, National City, Bonita or a host of other cities in San Diego County.  Therefore it isn't what counts. 
Exactly. If I visit San Diego, I'm going to the city, with one very short trip, either on the way there or back, out to San Marcos for some STONE.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

clarification:  clearly the city of SD is the focal point and probably the most interesting place to live/visit in that region, but when comparing populations it makes more sense to compare metro populations, given the arbitrary nature of city limits.  the city of jacksonville has more people than the city of boston, but the boston metro is like 10 times the size of jacksonville.  the city of san antonio has more than twice the people of KCMO, but the two metros are nearly the same.  the metro population is a much more accurate depiction of what goes on there.  the city of STL has 350,000, but it is the anchor of a 3M metro.  that is significant.  the city wouldn't/can't be what it is w/o the surrounding metro.

and so on.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

chrizow wrote: clarification:  clearly the city of SD is the focal point and probably the most interesting place to live/visit in that region, but when comparing populations it makes more sense to compare metro populations, given the arbitrary nature of city limits.  the city of jacksonville has more people than the city of boston, but the boston metro is like 10 times the size of jacksonville.  the city of san antonio has more than twice the people of KCMO, but the two metros are nearly the same.  the metro population is a much more accurate depiction of what goes on there.  the city of STL has 350,000, but it is the anchor of a 3M metro.  that is significant.  the city wouldn't/can't be what it is w/o the surrounding metro.

and so on.
STONE
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

bahua wrote: STONE
haha.  yes, Stone IPA is of a high quality.  i had many from the tap at The Ginger Man in Austin.  i'd like one right now. 
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

chrizow wrote: clarification:  clearly the city of SD is the focal point and probably the most interesting place to live/visit in that region, but when comparing populations it makes more sense to compare metro populations, given the arbitrary nature of city limits.  the city of jacksonville has more people than the city of boston, but the boston metro is like 10 times the size of jacksonville.  the city of san antonio has more than twice the people of KCMO, but the two metros are nearly the same.  the metro population is a much more accurate depiction of what goes on there.  the city of STL has 350,000, but it is the anchor of a 3M metro.  that is significant.  the city wouldn't/can't be what it is w/o the surrounding metro.

and so on.
Significant if a metro to metro comparison were the topic of this thread but it's clearly not.  Michael was talking about the "city" of San Diego. 
Marreekarr
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Marreekarr »

Most places around the world don't have this wierd obsession Americans have with separating the population of the suburbs versus the central city.  Some of our cities are further balkanized by establishing 'metros' within a greater metropolitan area (Riverside, CA vs. LA County).

Does the San Diego trolley discriminate against the suburbs?  Of course not! It rolls right through National City and Chula Vista just as easily as it reaches La Mesa and El Cajon.  In other words, it sees a population center as a whole greater than the sum of its parts, and that is precisely what stymies efforts here in KC to be more transportation friendly.