New tenant for old Jacobson's

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

It is pretty interesting that they were not able to lure a more high end store to locate there. I think that speaks to both the economy and the actual performance of the shopping center.

Regardless of whether they stay at Metcalf South, since they've already exercised the option to extend their lease, they are liable for the lease payments for at least 10 years.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

I don't get this part:

[quote]“Without question, customers wanted a department store,â€
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

The Jones Store has hometown orgins, I never understood what was so special about LTC. It had just opened when I move here from TX and it seemed the people here thougt it was so posh, even though The Plaza is here, never understood that.
The tenants should be happy that the huge unoccupied area is filled.
There is nothing elegant about a vacant, bankrupted store.

I hope it works out. I would rather go to TJS there than the one in Oakpark Mall. More jobs, that is good.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

What's up with this town and its inability to attract new high end retailers?

Areas like the Plaza, Town Center and Zona Rosa can do better than they are.

BTW, Oak Park sucks. I hate malls, but why is Oak Park so popular, it's just a horrible mall archtitechully (sp) and has absolutely no style.

Indep Center has the style and architecture, but needs to be bigger and more connected to surrounding retail centers.

Metro North is a joke

And thats it for a metro of 2 million?

I am amazed that this town does not have at least one trully awesome mall that most major cities have.

Just a thought.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Don't mean to get into yet another mall debate, but Grid's right.

Oak Park is the world's blandest looking mall, but I actually think it has the best selection of stores of any mall I've been to...it has almost everything.

Town Center sucks and I pretty much guarantee it'll be vacant once a megamall pops up south of 135th. Maybe the failed mall planned by Copaken was an attempt to demolish Town Center rather than coexist with it.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

trailerkid wrote:Town Center sucks and I pretty much guarantee it'll be vacant once a megamall pops up south of 135th.
Dunno, but they're building condos, offices and more retail across 117th from Town Center in what appears to be an attempt to make the entire area more dense with population and pedestrian friendly. Some people are actually startin' to realize that it's stupid to build places with a life span of only 10-15 years.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Midtownkid wrote:I wish the spot had remained empty...some other stores may have terminated their leases and then TCP would have gone down hill! 8)
Jus' what we need, more empty retail spots and vacant shopping centers in the KC metro.
trailerkid wrote:What the heck is there anyway? The Limited, Pottery Barn, Panera, and Victoria's Secret?
They do have a Sharper Image.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I go to Oak Park Mall sometimes, they do have the best selection of stores under one roof in the metro. But, I would never ever take an out of towner there (apparently everyone else does), like a StL resident would take someone to the Galeria for example.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

the Galleria is going down hill too...it used to be comparable to the Plaza, but now it has a lot of the same stores as Oak Park.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Town Center also has a new store called "Standards" I believe that was just recently opened. They carry both mens and womens clothes and higher end retail like Diesel, Paper Denim & Clothe and Etro.
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

From Joyce Smith
Coming soon

The Jones Store plans to open its Town Center Plaza store Nov. 3.

Part of the opening celebration events will be a Charity Day to benefit area nonprofit organizations. Participating organizations will have the opportunity to sell $5 admission tickets provided by the Jones Store for a preview of the new Leawood store at 5100 W. 119th St. on Nov. 1.

For more information or to participate, organizations should call (800) 835-9718.
I wonder if Jones will attempt to do an upper end version of their new store at TCP. Although the standard bargain basement type stores they have around the metro will probably do well at Town Center, the snobby So Jo Co demos would eat up having mini-boutiques for St. John or Chanel as other upscale department stores have. I know Dillard's has a flagship store at Northpark in Dallas and it seems like May Co. would do well to attempt to make their So Jo Co store their Jones "flagship" for KC-- at least until they build a new grand dame of retail downtown or at the Plaza. :wink: