I-70/I-435

Have a development question you want answered? Ask it here and you'll get your answer
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I-70/I-435

Post by dangerboy »

Grid might be able to answer this... What's up with the long-talked about plan to rebuild the I-70/435 intersection?  I'm continually amazed that we still have to squeeze what should be six (or even eight) lanes of I-70 into just four lanes under I-435. 
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: I-70/I-435

Post by GRID »

Well, it nearly went to construction a while back, but then the state and city did the I-435 MIS from the triangle to I-35.  That study changed things and the state decided to take a closer look at I-70.  They have done a few MIS studies now that include that interchange so I think the bottom line is the state has been delaying it due to lack of funds and a few other reasons.  A KCK firm is designing a tri level interchange to replace it now and MoDot should find a way to fund it soon.  It's one of the last major improvements left after the Paseo Bridge and Triangle are complete.

The problem with I-70 is not the 4 lanes under 435 but the six lanes east of 435.  You will only make things worse right now by re-building that interchange and not widening I-70 to at least I-470.  Right now during rush hour, you trickle east through that interchange and as soon as 435 dumps all that traffic onto I-70 just east of 435, it's backed up worse than it was west of 435.  You also have the stadium issues that need to be resolved too.  If the stadiums stay at the TSC, they will probably upgrade the ramps to and from the complex when they re-build I-70.  They would have to.  After you widen 70, you will have to do something different to get EB traffic off at Blue Ridge, like pull the exit for Blue Ridge clear back to west of 435 for EB I-70 traffic.  I-435 is designed to accommodate a fifth lane in each direction south of 70 to 350 when the new 70/435 interchange opens.

It's complicated and expensive.  But it's coming.  Finally in the next 5 years.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Yeah, that crazy interchange is a big reason why I always take the Manchester exit, when I'm driving to Royals games.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

bahua wrote: Yeah, that crazy interchange is a big reason why I always take the Manchester exit, when I'm driving to Royals games.
Why?  I have always wondered why people get off on Manchester and take Lee's or Hwy 40.  Squeeze past 435 and and you are in the ballpark in 2 minutes by using the double and triple lane access on the freeway exit and on the entry roads into the lots.

Even during the biggest chiefs games, I can practically drive right to a parking space without much of a slow down while everybody is merging for no reason.

Nobody ever uses the dual lanes into the lots, let alone the third.  Three lanes enter the main ticket booth from Blue Ridge, the third is rarely used.  Then once you pass all those cars that cause back-ups to 63rd and Front Street on 435 you have two or three empty parking booths too.

Same thing getting out.

You can drive right to I-70 and use the second WB turn lane while people are backed up to raytown road.  This of course after you triple lane exit the parking lot onto Blue Ridge and pass another 5000 cars.

It's freaking bizarre.  But I love it.  No problem getting in or out of either stadium from any direction.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I have had a couple of bad experiences using the Blue Ridge Cutoff(worst street name ever, BTW) exit, and I've never had any problems with the Manchester route.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Thanks for the info. I thought I'd read construction was at one time supposed to start in 2006, along with the Noland Road bridge replacement.  My perception is that there's a big crunch eastbound as people merge left to into the two through lanes, and then it goes wide open as soon you go under 435 and the third lane returns.  But I'm just perceiving that to be the worst.  At least the traffic coming from 435 to 70 eastbound doesn't have to merge, their ramp becomes the third lane.

For games, I just take Brush Creek/Cleaver/Swope/Blue Parkway/whatever it's called all the way over.  Even with the traffic lights it's faster than getting to the highway and then waiting out the congestion.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

bahua wrote: I have had a couple of bad experiences using the Blue Ridge Cutoff(worst street name ever, BTW) exit, and I've never had any problems with the Manchester route.
Really?  Manchester is such a scenic route ;)

Today I-70 did not back up till I got past 435.  435 dumps a lot of traffic onto I-70.  Same deal in the morning.  I-70 backs up between 435 and 470 and it's not because of the lane drops, it's just very busy between those beltways.  Once I get past 435, half the traffic is gone in the morning.