moving to DT KC...advice?

New to downtown life? Have questions? Urban living expert, come share your thoughts.
sokkerdewd
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

moving to DT KC...advice?

Post by sokkerdewd »

'Sup Forum!  (Long time lurker, first time poster here.)

I'm moving to downtown KC in a month from Omaha for my first "real" job following grad school.  I just had a few questions that I thought you guys (and girls) could address...

First - I've found about 10 different buildings after some extensive searching for DT lofts that I want to look at.  I was thinking that perhaps there may be some other options that aren't as well-publicized on the internet as the ones I've found.  I want to spend about $600-$800/month and really, really want a washer & dryer in the unit, secure & covered parking, and an office/nook/etc. in either a one bed/one bath, or in the absence of such an office, a 2 bed/one bath.  I need at least 800 sq. ft. for all my junk.  I also want to be less than a mile (walking distance) from the City Hall/Courthouse complex (where I'll be working.)  Any recommendations?  Any areas to avoid?  Some people have said places East of Oak, and especially East of Troost are pretty high in crime...but then again, I've heard of cars stolen from the Quality Hill Towers "secure" parking lot, which is west of both streets.

Second - Are US Banks pretty common down there?  I bank with another one right now...but noticed that my current bank doesn't have any KC branches.  I was looking for one with branches there and back home (originally from near Minneapolis.)

Third - any Chicago or Detroit deep-dish pizza places DT or near there that are decent?  Any that deliver?  How about Mexican food?  (Love the stuff!)

And fourth - are the summers really that gawd awful there?  Most everyone from Minne says I'm crazy for living that far south, saying that I'll melt/die from heat and humidity from May-September.  I mean, Omaha sucks in the summer for heat & is totally devoid of any semblance of winter sports (love my snowmobiliing, skiing, hockey, etc.) and I was just wondering if it was much worse than Omaha down there.  Perhaps someone who's lived both places could help me on this one...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions -
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: moving to DT KC...advice?

Post by dangerboy »

It's usually around 5 degrees warmer in KC than in Omaha.  The summer is only really oppresive in July and August.  May and September are great here, and June is often very decent.  The winter sports situation is probably worse than Omaha.  Snow usually melts within a few days, instead of covering the ground all winter like in points north.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

For your budget and need for in house laundry, your best bets would be Quality Hill and Library District.  I know there have been a lot of investors buying units in the Metropolitan to rent out and that would put you closest to the government district but I dont think many of those have been completed yet.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

moderne wrote:     For your budget and need for in house laundry, your best bets would be Quality Hill and Library District.  I know there have been a lot of investors buying units in the Metropolitan to rent out and that would put you closest to the government district but I dont think many of those have been completed yet.
Not to mention that  though both of these neighborhoods would be a slightly longer walk, the quality of life of those two neighborhoods would make the walk well worth it.

I don't know of any Chicago style pizza places in the dowwntown area... the closest thing to a deep dish would be the pan pizza from Minskys in the River Market (northern edge of downtown, they deliver).  Pizzeria Uno in the Plaza and Waldo Pizza in Waldo (both reachable by MAX) are the only true Chicago-style places I know.

As for Mexican, you'll be overwhelmed by the choices along Southwest Boulevard... about a mile southwest of the downtown loop.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

There are US Banks in KC. Check their website to find one close to you.

I've lived in DC and KC and the summers are about the same. Its not all that hot, just humid as hell. It tops out about 90, with maybe a week or two at the 100 degree level in August.

I have never lived there, but I highly recommend Quality Hill. It looks like a great little neighborhood, and I'm still trying to convince my girl that we should move there.

I don't know about Chicago style pizza (I've never even heard of Detroit pizza!), but by far the two best pizza joints in KC are Waldo Pizza and d'Bronx.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Might also check out Clubhouse Lofts and maybe Soho South for living options.  Thought of buying?  You could get a 800 sf. condo in certain buildings for as much as rent.  You won't find many renting options east of the govt district.  Everything will be west in the CBD loop or Rivermarket or Crossroads.

Everybody else hit all your other questions pretty well.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Gorlock
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Gorlock »

I heard that Soho South is going condo.
sokkerdewd
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by sokkerdewd »

Thanks for all the info - I've toyed with the idea of buying, and think it was be a great investment at this point (seems like DT KC is really taking off with loft conversions, the new P&L district, Block HQ, Sprint Center, etc.. and I'd expect prices to soar.)  But I'm fresh out of grad school and have student loans  :( so coming up with a down payment right now just ain't an option.  I've got these places down on my list to look at in the next couple weeks & really appreciate the info.  Here's to looking forward to my move  :cheers:
madespecial

Post by madespecial »

SOHO lofts, the best there is. Love them.

Seen a couple US banks in the burbs by the way, so we have them.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

12Wyandotte has a huge us bank sign on it, so I know they have a presence downtown as well.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

KCPowercat wrote: 12Wyandotte has a huge us bank sign on it, so I know they have a presence downtown as well.
It seems that a slight majority of the ATMs I come across downtown are US Bank.  Commerce and Bank of America also make up a good share.
myxomatosis
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by myxomatosis »

Gorlock wrote: I heard that Soho South is going condo.
I do not recommend living in the Emery, Bird, & Thayer (primary) building.  The walls are thin, and the floors/ceilings are wood.  While I loved the look/feel of my unit, it's just too easy to be in trouble for being too loud.  I'm not sure what their building on Grand is like, but the one north of 16th was nice (as long as you like the look of  exposed cement ceilings). 
Sparty
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sparty »

There is a US Bank at 12th and Grand (heart of the downtown loop), and one at Armour (35th) and Main (which is between downtown and the Plaza).
Boognish
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Boognish »

madespecial wrote: SOHO lofts, the best there is. Love them.

Seen a couple US banks in the burbs by the way, so we have them.
I thought you made your home downtown?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

US Bank bought out Mercantile, which was a St. Louis-based bank with lots of KC branches.  I'd say US is #4 behind BofA, Commerce, and UMB.

If you want to buy, there are lots of options with little to zero down payment.  Talk to a mortgage lender.  If you can buy now, do it.  I'm still kicking myself for not buying five years ago when prices where almost half of what they are today.
shelroni
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by shelroni »

best advice is several things:
get a realtor who knows the area. And not the realtor on the project you are checking out. There is no way that you will think of all the important issues that you should reveiw prior to investing.

get a copy of the bylaws, declarations, and financials for the projects you are looking into. a bankrupt HOA spells big assessments in the future. It can make what seems to be a good investment today turn into a nightmare.

investigate the developer, builder, building history, and the managment company. You are buying the products and services of these companies/groups and your investment is only as sound as their work.

get a financial plan. your home purchase...especially in downtown...is a huge investment that you will be adding to your portfolio. think smart, think long term, and think in terms of the gravity that this sizeable investment represents.

find a lender that knows about condo loans. most of them dont.

research the crime in the area. people overlook this way to often. (enough said)

consult an attorney if the sales contract is written specifically for the development and/or by the developer. A couple hundred dollars of investment in professional consulting is well spent if it keeps you from signing something that leaves you high and dry on a $100,000 + investment that you could be stuck with for 30 years. (worst case scenerio)
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

shelroni wrote: find a lender that knows about condo loans. most of them dont.

research the crime in the area. people overlook this way to often. (enough said)
On these points...

Consider your risk tolerance.  Consider what developments will come to an area and what direction it is headed.  Consider how long you plan to hold the property.  In some cases, it may be in your interest to take on property in an area with more crime problems or worse infrastructure, investing in the future prospects of that neighborhood.  Higher risk, yes, but huge rewards if it pays off. 

Lenders.  Yes, ask specifically whether they have experience with condos.  My lender supposedly did and it was still a big hassle.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

shelroni wrote: best advice is several things:
get a realtor who knows the area. And not the realtor on the project you are checking out. There is no way that you will think of all the important issues that you should reveiw prior to investing.

get a copy of the bylaws, declarations, and financials for the projects you are looking into. a bankrupt HOA spells big assessments in the future. It can make what seems to be a good investment today turn into a nightmare.

investigate the developer, builder, building history, and the managment company. You are buying the products and services of these companies/groups and your investment is only as sound as their work.

get a financial plan. your home purchase...especially in downtown...is a huge investment that you will be adding to your portfolio. think smart, think long term, and think in terms of the gravity that this sizeable investment represents.

find a lender that knows about condo loans. most of them dont.

consult an attorney if the sales contract is written specifically for the development and/or by the developer. A couple hundred dollars of investment in professional consulting is well spent if it keeps you from signing something that leaves you high and dry on a $100,000 + investment that you could be stuck with for 30 years. (worst case scenerio)
Shelroni,

You seem to have a lot of good adive, so can I ask you what you think of the new Coffee Lofts at Soho in the Garment district???

Is it a pretty good/trustworthy redevelopment company???
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I believe that's Embassy. They're good in my book.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
shelroni
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by shelroni »

mean wrote: I believe that's Embassy. They're good in my book.
Embassy is a property management company.

I believe that Coffee lofts was developed by Master realty.

You should research them. Ask people that live in their rental buildings, talk to some employees, ask people who have purchased at their other developments.
skim82 wrote: Shelroni,

You seem to have a lot of good adive, so can I ask you what you think of the new Coffee Lofts at Soho in the Garment district???

Is it a pretty good/trustworthy redevelopment company???

I really like the garment district. There are a lot of unknowns in that area (as with all the other areas). All I know is that you should think about what you are buying and think..."could I live here for 30 years?"

Only time will tell if it is a good buy...just make sure you can live with it good or bad.