The Official Kansas City Weather Thread

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: The Official Kansas City Weather Thread

Post by KCMax »

mlind wrote: Not to rub it in, but it was in the low 70's on Sunday in Oakland CA where I live now.
I heard even Phoenix got into the 40s this week, but the CA Bay Area seems to stay at 65 degrees no matter what season it is.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

How is that NOT rubbing it in? :)

Honestly every area has weather ups and downs....bragging about how one day is better here or there seems silly...unless we should bring up how awesome it is in kc during the next California earthquake?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

mlind wrote: Not to rub it in, but it was in the low 70's on Sunday in Oakland CA where I live now.
There was some bad blood between Oakland and KC when the A's left town and, of course, the conflicts between the Chiefs and Raiders and the above reflects one comment I remember, paraphased alittle.

The problem with (whatever, in this case 70's) in Oakland is that it is in Oakland.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: There was some bad blood between Oakland and KC when the A's left town and, of course, the conflicts between the Chiefs and Raiders and the above reflects one comment I remember, paraphased alittle.

The problem with (whatever, in this case 70's) in Oakland is that it is in Oakland.
what in the fuck are you talking about?  weather?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCMax wrote: I heard even Phoenix got into the 40s this week, but the CA Bay Area seems to stay at 65 degrees no matter what season it is.
Houston had 4 straight days where the temp dropped into the low 20's.  Last Friday, there were over 1000 accidents around the city as freezing drizzle came in on Thursday night.  Fortunately, most major employers shut down otherwise, it would have been far worse. 
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

GRID wrote: what in the fuck are you talking about?  weather?
Oakland was the pits.  So no matter how bad it was here, and in this case the weather, it was always better than the weather in Oakland.  In other words it was always better in KC.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Oakland was the pits.  So no matter how bad it was here, and in this case the weather, it was always better than the weather in Oakland.  In other words it was always better in KC.
There is no "there" there.

mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

Living in CA, I miss the seasons.  I never minded the snow in KC. 

Being a weather broadcaster must be really boring in SF bay area.  "Overcast in the morning, clearing by noon."  A lightening storm is a really big deal.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Sirens in JoCo and WyCo.

bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Where's Gozer?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

That is a sweet picture
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

Looks like the Apocalypse everyone was waiting for. All it needs is horse man coming down sounding his trumpet.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

I thought that after the previous debacle of the "rain wrapped tornado's" when the news stations sounded the alarm that  3 invisible "rain wrapped tornado's" where traveling down I-70 that didn't really exist, that we had heard the last of the "rain wrapped tornado".

I was wrong. Johnny Rollins was is news chopper nine looking for tornado damage in Claycomo that didn't exist. So in desperation he brought out the "rain wrapped tornado." You see, according to Johnny, there really was tornadoes, we just couldn't see them because they were invisibly rain wrapped.

Next Beth Chapman. She was live in Louie's Burg, KS where a funnel cloud lifted a truck for ten seconds and slammed it nose first into another car.

According to Beth it was "ironic" that neither person was hurt. Ironic? What was it ironic about it? I'm not sure where Beth was educated but the word ironic was obviously not used in a proper context. How about "fortunately nobody was hurt".
Last edited by justin8216 on Wed May 25, 2011 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Ask Sedalia if their tornado existed.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
UMKCroo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCroo »

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/05/24/29 ... k=misearch

I thought this was an interesting take on the subject.  I've lived in the Midwest nearly my whole life, and sirens don't alarm me the slightest.  I knew several people in Joplin during the tornado, and they all said the same thing.  They heard the sirens, but didn't take them seriously.  I went down to Joplin Monday morning witnessed the unbelievable devastation first hand, and yet yesterday afternoon as sirens were sounding for over an hour downtown I wasn't compelled to take shelter/cover etc.  Shouldn't the only time you hear tornado sirens be when there is an imminent tornado threat?  I understand weather professionals would rather err on the side of caution, especially with such an unpredictable weather phenomenon.  But, could that approach be inadvertently effecting public safety?  The same goes for television broadcasts.  I really dont know what the answer is, but an interesting topic.
GO ROOs!!!!!
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Huh. I was always taught that when the sirens blow, you stop whatever the F you're doing, and you take cover. Probably nothing will happen. Certainly don't freak out. But get your ass in the basement. I've never not done that.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

mean wrote: Huh. I was always taught that when the sirens blow, you stop whatever the F you're doing, and you take cover. Probably nothing will happen. Certainly don't freak out. But get your ass in the basement. I've never not done that.
Agreed.

I don't think the authorities have any other choice. A small tornado can drop out of the clouds in a split second, wreck a few things on the ground, and then disappear. If you happen to be in the way, you'd better be prepared. I sat in a downstairs bathroom for a short while. Thankfully, Kansas City was mostly spared.
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

mean wrote: Huh. I was always taught that when the sirens blow, you stop whatever the F you're doing, and you take cover. Probably nothing will happen. Certainly don't freak out. But get your ass in the basement. I've never not done that.
I've always interpreted them as a reason to stop what I'm doing and search the sky for explanation.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Yesterday was kinda odd because it was a Wednesday near noon. Usually they test the sirens the first Wed at noon. Had the weather not looked freaky outside, I probably would have thought nothing of the sirens because I figured it was a test.