Pendleton Heights rocks!

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Pendleton Heights rocks!

Post by FangKC »

Are you talking about 3624 Gladstone Boulevard?
There is no fifth destination.
Halt_I_Am_Reptar
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Halt_I_Am_Reptar »

I absolutely love this house on Gladstone Blvd, even if it is close to Independence Avenue. I'm a big fan of American Foursquare Architecture. It looks like it has a one house buffer between itself and the apartment buildings. The Foursquare Style house next door looks like they are doing some renovations, so that could be a good thing. I haven't figured out what it is yes, whether it's going to be a single family or a multi-family.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Chance of a lifetime to own iconic KC home

Post by FangKC »

I just noticed that the Flavel Tiffany mansion, at 100 Garfield, is for sale for $399,900.

The castle-styled gothic home, built in 1908, has 4282 sq. ft, and was designed by architect Clifton Sloan. It features beautiful interior elements and wood floors as well as 5 bedrooms, 2 full baths, and 2 partial baths. The home has stained and bevel glass windows and door, one garage space, and roof access.

Flavel Tiffany was one of Kansas City's first eye doctors, author, and a respected physician who had offices at 805 McGee. It's now the parking lot for the United States Courthouse. This was the second home he lived in here--the other being near 24th and Troost when it was called Millionaire's Row. That area is now where the new entrance to Beacon Hill is located.

Tiffany was one of the founders of University Medical College, and later served as chair of the medical department at Kansas City University--an early academic institution (not what became UMKC or the Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences). He had the home built after tours of Europe, and his home also had the distinction of being the first residence in Kansas City built of reinforced concrete.

The rock for the house was quarried at 2nd Street and Lydia.

Tiffany purchased 80 acres in the Northland with hopes of creating a medical spa facility there--similar to Excelsior Springs. It never happened, but the area later became known as Tiffany Springs.  He died in 1918.

Here is the real estate listing with photos of the interior.

http://www.mlsfinder.com/moks_hl/kcmlsl ... id=1694040
phna
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by phna »

$399,999 is the list price or the annual heating cooling costs? This will be interesting to watch.
Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.

Jean Paul Sartre
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes, it is a large house. However, it might not be as bad as other homes of that size because of its' construction. It's made of reinforced concrete, and the facade is thick stone. This has an insulating effect.  Stone facades don't heat up like wood or vinyl; absorb and release heat slowly; and stone has a cooling affect in summer. Added to that is the fact that the roof is a light color, and not black, which means it doesn't absorb as much heat in the summer, and reflects more UV light back up.

The biggest waste of energy is probably up through the fireplace, but the fire portal does appear to have an insulating cover. I also see several ceiling fans in the house, which helps distribute air better.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Chance of a lifetime to own iconic KC home

Post by Joe Smith »

FangKC wrote: I just noticed that the Flavel Tiffany mansion, at 100 Garfield, is for sale for $399,900.

The castle-styled gothic home, built in 1908, has 4282 sq. ft, and was designed by architect Clifton Sloan. It features beautiful interior elements and wood floors as well as 5 bedrooms, 2 full baths, and 2 partial baths. The home has stained and bevel glass windows and door, one garage space, and roof access.

Flavel Tiffany was one of Kansas City's first eye doctors, author, and a respected physician who had offices at 805 McGee. It's now the parking lot for the United States Courthouse. This was the second home he lived in here--the other being near 24th and Troost when it was called Millionaire's Row. That area is now where the new entrance to Beacon Hill is located.

Tiffany was one of the founders of University Medical College, and later served as chair of the medical department at Kansas City University--an early academic institution (not what became UMKC or the Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences). He had the home built after tours of Europe, and his home also had the distinction of being the first residence in Kansas City built of reinforced concrete.

The rock for the house was quarried at 2nd Street and Lydia.

Tiffany purchased 80 acres in the Northland with hopes of creating a medical spa facility there--similar to Excelsior Springs. It never happened, but the area later became known as Tiffany Springs.  He died in 1918.

Here is the real estate listing with photos of the interior.

http://www.mlsfinder.com/moks_hl/kcmlsl ... id=1694040

I've been in this house a bunch of times. It's beautiful inside. Lots of wood. It's a real interesting place. It's owned by a former Catholic nun from Saipan. It's sort of her family's base of operations for whoever comes over and goes to UMKC. I knew her nephew through a friend that went to UMKC with him. The government of Saipan pays for their college and they in turn have to go back to Saipan and teach for a few years to work off the debt.

It's also featured in the "Weird States" book series in the "Weird Missouri" edition that came out in 10/08 on page 118. They used one of my pics of the castle for a full page image.
There's nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot.   Harry Callahan

For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.  Hunter S. Thompson
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I went through this place in '87 when my brother was trying to buy it with a friend. It was listed then for $150,000 and it was in great shape. Yep, really nice woodwork and one helluva view. If I recall correctly, the guy who had a riverboat and gave tours lived there, so he could see his boat. He later moved it over to KS and then bought a house over there somewhere, where he could see his boat, and that's when he put this place on the market. I never went on that boat, but I do remember it being around. I don't think it lasted long in KS. Anyone know what happened to it/him?
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/03/01/26 ... ctive.html

just outside PH, but it sounds like a vocal proponent of the revitalization of the old northeast has been killed.  no name has been issued yet, but given his interests i wouldn't be surprised if the person is a kcragger or the friend of one.  r.i.p.  

if it's the house i am thinking of, it's a huge, beautiful yellow victorian in a rather shifty area - we looked at the house next door a few months ago and some random drug-addled guy tried to get in our car.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

chrizow wrote: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/03/01/26 ... ctive.html

just outside PH, but it sounds like a vocal proponent of the revitalization of the old northeast has been killed.  no name has been issued yet, but given his interests i wouldn't be surprised if the person is a kcragger or the friend of one.  r.i.p.  

if it's the house i am thinking of, it's a huge, beautiful yellow victorian in a rather shifty area - we looked at the house next door a few months ago and some random drug-addled guy tried to get in our car.

He was not a Ragger, tho he was certainly vocal.  I'm afraid lifestyle was his downfall, and not the choice of locations to live. 

BTW,  yellow?  Maybe some of the trim, but it was a huge brick victorian.

Uhh, sorry about that trying to get in the car thing.  Thought you were my parole officer.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

loftguy wrote: He was not a Ragger, though he was certainly vocal.  I'm afraid lifestyle was his downfall, and not the choice of locations to live.  
tragic nonetheless, but i guess heartening (?) that he was not just a victim of random crime.  
loftguy wrote: BTW,  yellow?  Maybe some of the trim, but it was a huge brick victorian.
yeah, i just remember the yellow trim i guess - unless i'm thinknig of a totally different house, which is possible.

loftguy wrote:
Uhh, sorry about that trying to get in the car thing.  Thought you were my parole officer.
you look a lot like andrew mccarthy after a two-week meth bender..
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

What was wrong with his lifestyle?
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

brewcrew1000 wrote: What was wrong with his lifestyle?
It put him at the business end of a bullet.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

uh, this all seems kind of shocking.  Was this a drug deal gone bad?  Sounds like it is a big setback for a neighborhood that doesn't need any more of them.  Loftguy, do you have any more detail?

The Northeast is so completely frustrating.  It is a fascinating, unique and beautiful area that is just completely depressing and f'd.  Cliff Drive and Gladstone and Benton Blvds are awesome and should be urban gems.  When I can't get my midtown living gf to consider buying a house up there, a definite perception problem exists.
are we spinning free?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The victim was Yuri Ives, a realtor in the area.

http://www.historickcproperties.com/AboutUs.do
KCAppraiser
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCAppraiser »

Crazy shit, I have done some work for him in the past.  He was a different cat but liked him.  I am curious by what you mean by his lifestyle.  Are you just talking about his choice of where to live?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Renovating historic homes and living in an urban neighborhood is a lifestyle choice. He probably also recycled and composted. Urban people are decadent and responsible for the downfall of society.  :P
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

rxlexi wrote:  uh, this all seems kind of shocking.  Was this a drug deal gone bad?  Sounds like it is a big setback for a neighborhood that doesn't need any more of them.  Loftguy, do you have any more detail?

The Northeast is so completely frustrating.  It is a fascinating, unique and beautiful area that is just completely depressing and f'd.  Cliff Drive and Gladstone and Benton Blvds are awesome and should be urban gems.  When I can't get my midtown living gf to consider buying a house up there, a definite perception problem exists.
I used to have the wrong perception about the Northeast as well, until I bought a home here.  The perception is mostly wrong.  Sure, there are spotty areas. Basically, the closer one is to Independence Avenue, the more problems you might encounter. The further away you get, less problems.

However, there are large pockets of safe neighborhoods as well. If you buy a house north of St. John Avenue, you are about as safe as anywhere in the City.  Children freely play in the streets of my neighborhood, and people sit on their porches at night. I work in my yard and have never been approached by any sketchy people in over two years.

I shop at the Price Chopper on Indy Avenue as well as the Aldi, Ace Hardware, CVS, and Walgreens--all around Hardesty, and I have never had any problems. Not once--even late at night. I go to the library on Wilson Avenue and there are no sketchy people there either. I was bothered more at the downtown library than the NE library.

I would say not to buy a house within four blocks of Indy Avenue if you have a wife or gf living there. If you are a single male, for the most part, you'd be fine.  Also avoid buying a home near one of the cheap apartment buildings.  Not that you'd be subject to crime as much as annoying behavior.

It's really when one is south of Indy Avenue that it becomes a different kettle-of-fish.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

chrizow wrote: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/03/01/26 ... .html 

we looked at the house next door a few months ago and some random drug-addled guy tried to get in our car.
There are neighborhoods in Hollywood that have the same problem--especially if you live near Charlie Sheen, Lindsey Lohan, Britney Spears, or Robert Downey Jr.  :P
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KCAppraiser
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCAppraiser »