I-70

Transportation topics in KC
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Re: I-70

Post by shaffe »

to appease the masses...

but first, the play by play, if you will.  he started to drift over into me, so i naturally swerve to avoid him thinking it's just the usual 6" drift that trucks sometimes do.  unforunately my tires quickly encountered the "drunk bumps" on the shoulder, and then gravel, and there was no sign of him stopping.  so rather than go further and flip my car over by driving 60-65  sideways through a ditch, i stopped getting over.  a set of his wheels made contact with my passenger side, i spun about 90* so my front end was facing the right side of the road, cranked the wheel to turn out of it, and promptly did a 180 and landed ass backwards in the ditch on the right side of the road.  the truckers behind me that stopped said two cars swerved to avoid me.  the whole time i was thinking "alright, who's going to t-bone me at 60".  oddly enough, i never did think about death.  anywho, here's the damage.

this one happened when i went backwards into the last ditch
Last edited by shaffe on Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Edit your post, and there should be a link for "Additional Options," that if you click it, will bring up, predictably, additional options. Among these are a file upload/attachment form. That's the way.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i HATE i-70.  i was driving to columbia from st. louis last week and this asshole semi driver decided to pass me on the right, at about 90mph, AND cross the median line about 5 times while doing it.  i honked at him for about a minute, and the asshole intentionally flicked his lit cigarette on my car.  i wanted to assassinate him. 

it kills me when exurban suburbadroids call the city "dangerous" due to crime, but think nothing of traveling on this deathtrap for an hour each day. 
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

HATE i-70.  i was driving to columbia from st. louis last week and this asshole semi driver decided to pass me on the right, at about 90mph, AND cross the median line about 5 times while doing it.  i honked at him for about a minute, and the asshole intentionally flicked his lit cigarette on my car.  i wanted to assassinate him. 

it kills me when exurban suburbadroids call the city "dangerous" due to crime, but think nothing of traveling on this deathtrap for an hour each day. 
I take it no "How am I driving call 1-800-IMA-RDNCK"?
Calling a spade a spade.
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

I would have died if i was shaffe,  then my wife would get a shitload of money and marry a young stud!! :-s
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

Hear hear...collect those tolls and add some freakin lanes...at LEAST make the current lanes wider!

Every time I have to drive to Columbia, I get all tense and nervous just thinking about it.  I-70 should not be this painful...about the only place I have felt less safe on a highway is I-95 through Connecticut!
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

. . . in nation, truckers say: www.etrucker.com/apps/news/article.asp?id=56766.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

should i feel dirty after browsing a website for truckers? i still can't believe that headline... "rougher than a corncob"!
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

I always laugh when I'm at a rest stop and see a newspaper called "Rural Missouri Dating." I've seen similar pubs in other states, such as Iowa.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

DaveKCMO wrote: should i feel dirty after browsing a website for truckers? i still can't believe that headline... "rougher than a corncob"!
Cue the Dueling Banjos . . . .
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

Their survey is highly suspect.  They rated California #1 for worst four wheelers and #3 for best four wheelers.  They also ranked Texas #5 for Toughest Truck Inspections and Law Enforcement and #3 for Weakest Truck Inspections and Law Enforcement.  Plus, Pennsylvania appears on almost every list.   While I agree that Pennsylvania sucks, you gotta choose.  Worst or best.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Article is very short, but says it is years off although still a possibility.  Any thoughts about a widening to 4 lanes and if we need "truck only" lanes?  Where else do they have these and are they typically on the right or left?  Would MO ever get carpool lanes near StL/KC metros and how would this interfere with a truck lane?

http://www.kctv5.com/news/15772152/detail.html
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Wake me up when we can get a 4th (or even in some cases a 3rd) lane on I-70 in metro KC.  Then we can talk about the stretch between KC and StL.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I'm not bothered by driving with trucks, but I know a lot of people who have panic attacks driving along them.  I'd rather have four open lanes than two for cars and two for trucks.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

WoodDraw wrote: I'm not bothered by driving with trucks, but I know a lot of people who have panic attacks driving along them.  I'd rather have four open lanes than two for cars and two for trucks.
Cars are worse than trucks.  If trucks didn't have to move over to pass a freaking car, the trucks wouldn't be as big an issue.  I know I have said this before.  If you are being passed by 18 wheelers on your right on a regular basis, get off the interstate and take the surface roads.  Plus, trucks know to move over when they can most of the time.  I have to pass cars on the right.  Enforce that and we can save a billion dollars by not having to build one of those lanes.  Till people learn to drive, nothing will do any good.  We need to teach people how to drive on urban instates, teach them how to drive on rural interstates (it's different) etc. rather than just handing out drivers licenses because you can identify a stop sign.

On a more serious note.  Just make the damn thing six lanes and don't allow trucks in the far left lane.  But again, if Missouri can't even bring I-70 in Jackson County out of the 1950's, why are we talking about this?

Pie in the sky.
Last edited by GRID on Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

So, why is MoDot so interested in truck lanes if most states DON'T have them?
KC is the way to be!
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

AllThingsKC wrote: So, why is MoDot so interested in truck lanes if most states DON'T have them?
That's kind of what I'd like to know.

I don't have much a problem with trucks.  Sure, some drive way to fast for as large as they are, and it would make things safer if they had their own lane, but why can't we just enforce rules we already have in place - and ones that bring in income!  Anyone heard of speed limits?  Agressive driving tickets?  Do they need their own lane?  I'm all for making I-70 larger in spots, but I don't think lanes need to be designated.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

as somebody who was run off i-70 2 years ago by a semi truck driver i support this measure.  however the liklihood is just too small to even worry about it right now.  all you need is a 6 line highway, that will drastically reduce congestion and eliminate the need to have designated lanes.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

The thing about trucks is that something like 30% of the traffic on I-70 is 18 wheelers. It might even be more.  The idea is that if you move the trucks off to their own lanes you will cut traffic by 30% and then you don't need to widen I-70.