OFFICIAL - 909 Walnut

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
K.C.Highrise
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: OFFICIAL - 909 Walnut construction

Post by K.C.Highrise »

Right back at cha GRID.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

This is good news. I'm glad that space sold and that they are investing so much in it.  They could initiate a trend of wealthy people moving downtown instead of the Plaza for high-rise living.  Other than One Park Place, that apartment probably has some of the best views in the state.  It will probably end up being the coolest condo in Kansas City.
There is no fifth destination.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

FangKC wrote: Other than One Park Place, that apartment probably has some of the best views in the state.  It will probably end up being the coolest condo in Kansas City.
For certain.  I wish I knew these folks.  I'd love to attend the house-warming party.  Think about it, a 3.5 million dollar project is fairly significant in its own right and this is just a single condo, but probably the most visible residential location in KC.
jaysonv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by jaysonv »

Highlander wrote: For certain.  I wish I knew these folks.  I'd love to attend the house-warming party.  Think about it, a 3.5 million dollar project is fairly significant in its own right and this is just a single condo, but probably the most visible residential location in KC.
They should definitely hold a house warming and invite all the current residents.  I'll auction off my "plus one".  :-)
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

FangKC wrote: It will probably end up being the coolest condo in Kansas City.
It will undoubtedly be impressive.  However, it sounds like they're trying to recreate a luxury JoCo house in the space.  That would not be my first style choice.  It will be very interesting to see how this unit fares on resale.  They're putting a huge amount of money into this that might be tough to get back.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If I had bought that penthouse, I would turn it into a 1920s art nouveau fantasia ala architect and designer Joseph Urban.
advocrat
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by advocrat »

On the subject of 3.5 million. That amount of money spent on what will be the local economy has gotta be good for the City on any given day. And that's just one (albeit not so small) residence.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

yeah, the style is not the best...but oh well baby steps right?  First get the JOCOs into downtown, then change their style...maybe they'll ditch the 8 tons of drywall (eww) for bare concrete and minimalist furnishings (by the time it's out of style...haha) I've heard that Baroque-nuevo is the way of the future anyway...see - Gramercy Park Hotel in NYC
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

The placeholder rendering that 909 has had up for sometime, depicted the unit with a very cool, contemporary interior - completely drywalled.  Just because they are using drywall (and are from JoCo, ghast! &&) doesn't mean that they space can't be hip and modern. 
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

The placeholder rendering does show a large quantity of drywall - but the space itself has some very interesting intrinsic materials.  The walls are a combination of concrete columns, modular brick, fire brick, and wrought details.  Complementary drywall buildouts (for light coves & interior walls) and dark, natural and imperfect weathered wood accent wall coverings would look very nice with the existing skeletal construction. 

"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

Who cares about how the decorate the space.  It is there home now.  They can decorate it in a Thai Whorehouse motif for all I care. 

The sale of this space is another small step in the bigger picture of DT KC coming back.  If they convince two of their wealthy JoCo friends to buy downtown great.  Four out of town friends?  Even better.  Keep 'em coming and everyone will benefit from the dollars invested downtown.

Woo Hoo!     
CyDanny
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by CyDanny »

KCTigerFan wrote: Who cares about how the decorate the space.  It is there home now.  They can decorate it in a Thai Whorehouse motif for all I care. 

The sale of this space is another small step in the bigger picture of DT KC coming back.  If they convince two of their wealthy JoCo friends to buy downtown great.  Four out of town friends?  Even better.  Keep 'em coming and everyone will benefit from the dollars invested downtown.

Woo Hoo!     
Exactly. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Perhaps they will be like so many other americans these days and have purchased so much house that they can't afford to furnish it - picture two folding camp chairs, an inflatable couch, and a chest cooler sitting in the middle of that great space.  :lol:
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

KCTigerFan wrote: Who cares about how the decorate the space. 
Architects do!  Its there job to care how space is used!
I doubt we are being critical of what John and Jane JoCo are going to do with the space - I'm as happy as the next guy that they are investing in downtown.  I think its more of a tangental discourse as to what one could do with the space if so inclined.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
CyDanny
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by CyDanny »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Perhaps they will be like so many other americans these days and have purchased so much house that they can't afford to furnish it - picture two folding camp chairs, an inflatable couch, and a chest cooler sitting in the middle of that great space.  :lol:
Hah.  I think a couple that can afford a $3.5mil housing purchase probably arent going to be house-poor.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

CyDanny wrote: Hah.  I think a couple that can afford a $3.5mil housing purchase probably arent going to be house-poor.
My comment was in jest.  However, you might be surprised at just how many large McMansions dotting the suburbs are very sparsely decorated inside due to most of the owner's income going to the mortgage - that and the phenomenon of coastal transplants who triple their square-footage because it is such a "bargain" and find themselves with only enough furnishings for half the house. 
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

Agreed.  Hypothetical discourse is great.  I just fear that the thread would devolve into an indictment of their decorating style and then a debate on how the JoCo element is destroying the uniqueness of DT.  Public space, semi-public space, assumed public space and private space are all worthy of debate and discourse.     
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Looks like a completely awesome place for a party.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

I don't care how they decorate it but you couldn't pay me to cover those walls with drywall.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

That space is perfect for an eccentric bachelor, a hermit, who stands at the windows at night plotting world domination and petting a fluffy white cat.  :lol: