OFFICIAL - 909 Walnut

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: OFFICIAL - 909 Walnut construction

Post by KC Kropf »

Lived here since Oct as well.... It's the bomb! 

Management is great! Building is amazing.  My only complaint is we got this huge lawn for a rooftop garden instead of a pool, and no outdoor grills on the rooftop. 

PS.. Sign up in 929 Walnut stating the Scooters Coffee shop is coming soon.  Inside still looks pretty raw though.
On to the Next One
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

KC Kropf wrote: and no outdoor grills on the rooftop. 
Maybe they're afraid of someone pulling something like this:

A fool and your money are soon united.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I don't get the no outdoors grills.  Concrete doesn't burn.    More people would use the garden if they could grill.  My department's windows look out over the garden and the only time we ever see anyone out there is to take their dog out.
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Kropf »

scooterj wrote: I don't get the no outdoors grills.   Concrete doesn't burn.    More people would use the garden if they could grill.   My department's windows look out over the garden and the only time we ever see anyone out there is to take their dog out.

Well then you havn't seen me working on my tan and using the "Amazing" shower that is up there instead of a pool.  I mean its fun to lay out and then get wet under something that reminds you of the hazard showers they had in chemistry class and all... but I want a pool, and hot girls, is that too much to ask?  That is why P&L Condos will be head over heals better than 909... Guessing they will both hit the market close to the same time... Damn I am impatient....

On the grills.... I was told by the owner that they didn't put grills up there, because they didn't want a bunch of "Frat Guys" with their shirts off grilling all day on the rooftop...    What is wrong with that, I don't know... but it would sure beat the random use that it does get from people and their doggs....  I also had my Bday party up there, but had to bring in my own grill, it was fun to play bocci (sp?) ball and washers on grass in the middle of the city... 
On to the Next One
f4hondaphile
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by f4hondaphile »

Well, I suppose the folks who ponied up the extra dough for the patio and balcony units on the 5th and 6th floor are the only ones who get to do any grilling out at 909.  That aside, i am pleased with living there, primarily because they did such a good job with the units.  I have wondered about that shower and what the hell it is for, just kind of strange, you'd expect to see it at a beach, but as you pointed out there is no pool.  I would definitely settle for a rooftop pool and some hot chicas, but alas just the garden.  I try to use it, sitting outside with beers and something to read or cigar smoking at night, its a nice place to hang out.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

I see nothing at all wrong with shirtless frat boys grilling.  :lol:
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Kropf »

Scooters is moving along.  Inside is looking more complete, and exterior awnings make it look for real.  Check it out:

On to the Next One
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

That development is looking great...
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

KC Kropf wrote: PS.. Sign up in 929 Walnut stating the Scooters Coffee shop is coming soon. 
Wow!  Scooter's loft must be HUUUUGE!!!  Seriously though, I hope this place is good and Starbucks doesn't push them out of business.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

a friend of mine who just moved out of our building and got a rental at 909 invited us over saturday night. i must say this is the most interesting rental property in kc, bar none. the view from the green space over the neighboring building is amazing, and i certainly hope the people that live there use it often. the units were nicer than most apartments and it was good to hear that the place is nearly full and still planning to go condo in a few years.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

biz journal reports that handmark (http://www.handmark.com/) is moving into 17,000sf of commercial space at 909 walnut on feb. 20. they had been located in the river market since 2000.
cpt4599
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by cpt4599 »

There is an interesting article in the Star today bout the penthouse selling to Johnson Cty suburbanites.

http://www.kansascity.com/105/story/70212.html
K.C.Highrise
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by K.C.Highrise »

This is actually a really big deal. With this one purchase it puts a new price point into downtown revitalization and shows that downtown can compete with anything the suburbs have. I really think this will help drive prices up to the point were new high rise residential is possible. IMO in 5 to 10 years downtown will overtake the Plaza as far as price and desirability for condos.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

This is awesome they sold that place.  It a symbol for downtown rebirth.

I need to become friends with these people.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

16 tons of drywall to cover up concrete walls? Blasphemy.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: 16 tons of drywall to cover up concrete walls? Blasphemy.
Just proves that they are buying because they "want" to be downtown (it's not another 2 year flip project) and they have no problem customizing it to there own unique tastes.

I agree with K.C.Highrise (which I typically do).  This is a very big story for downtown.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

This is probably the most expensive habitation space downtown in comparative cost terms since the heyday of Quality Hill 130 years ago!  It could help convince someone to buy the penthouse spaces in the Metropolitan and Manhattan, or purchase into the Cordish and Power and Light Condos.
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

When I was at One Park Place, they were bragging how one of their upper units sold for $800/SF although I doubt it was as large as the one at 909 Walnut.  I think I calculated the sale at 909 Walnut at $575/SF.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

they are spending $3.5M total, but I believe the listing price was right at $1.2M...for the raw space.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kccrackednut
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kccrackednut »

My question is why not spend the extra $50,000 to have the construction supplies airlifted to the the top.  In a $3.5 million purchase, is an $50,000 really that much?  I can think of so much more I would do with $3.5 million, but to each his/her own.