OFFICIAL - 909 Walnut

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

OFFICIAL - 909 Walnut construction

Post by KC0KEK »

The highest balcony I've ever been on was the 23rd floor. It's definitely not for the faint of heart. You also need to consider the wind gusts on higher floors. For example, if your balcony is big enough for lawn furniture, everything has to be weighed down when not in use, even if it's not windy at the moment. You wouldn't think that a couple of floors make that much difference in terms of wind gusts, but they do.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I didn't get a chance to post this earlier since I was travelling, so sorry this is 5 days late.

I abhor talk radio and NEVER listen to it. I don't even have any AM stations preset on my car radio. Unfortunately on Wednesday morning, when the Kansas City Star article ran, I was riding in a car with someone who is obsesssed with talk radio and I was forced to listen to a local talk show on 710 AM. I think it was Mike Murphy. Anyway they were discussing the article about 909 Walnut. He went on a tirade about the penthouse, that is was a dump and that while the view may be fantastic, anyone would get bored of it in a matter of minutes. He then went on to say that no one would pay the asking price for that penthouse when that same price could get them a huge house out in the suburbs. Not content to stop there, he went on to say that there is no rebirth taking place downtown, no surge in the downtown population, and no demand for downtown housing... that these are all myths created by the real estate industry desparate to unload properties they are stuck with.

This is why I hate talk radio. Idiots who don't know what they are talking about yammering on.
Last edited by scooterj on Sun Dec 28, 2003 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

Or perhaps you are afraid there might be a little truth in what they say.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Talk radio in KC is never about anything positive. One sided stories about how bad things are is what those listeners want to hear. 710 is not known for its balanced, both sides of an issue reporting.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

wow. i really want to see this work.

there are a LOT of Mike Murphys in this town who think downtown is, and always will be, a complete hole. i think that the KC area has lost so much touch with the urban core that it's going to be really hard for people to take. st. louis, which doesn't have a very lively downtown either, at least has stadiums and the WashAve club district, etc., so people there who hate the city can at least UNDERSTAND that things may go on there. i think there are lots of suburbanites in this town who would never go downtown if they didn't work there, and there are many (my parents included) who dont work there, dont ever want to go there, dont give a shit about it, and dont think anyone else should either.

that said, i want 909 to work. i am just very skeptical about whether KC is really ready for a residential tower of that magnitude, especially downtown. there are million dollar penthouses on the Plaza that have been on the market for years. i dont think the market is there - yet. i say play it a little safe on high profile things like this and wait until the ball gets rolling to the point where we NEED a 35-story residential tower. downtown KC is a long way from that.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

chriz...what million dollar condos on the plaza have been on the market for years? MLS numbers? Kirkwood is selling their million plus condos quickly.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Crown Center has a 32 story condo tower and it stays pretty full. KC is absorbing condos at an amazing rate right now, it will only get better.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I don't know how to stress this enough: perception is reality

Suburbadroids...and we all know a lot...see downtown as completely dead. In some ways, they are correct. Walking through the city from Western Auto to the CBD leaves much to be desired for anyone. But what is important is that there are signs of life. Investment is happening. And unless I am completely void of comprehension, there are too many housing projects from the Missouri River to 31st Street for me to begin to list.

The fact is many suburbadroids think of "life" as Oak Park Mall, 119th and Metcalf, or the commute on the 435. Urban environments aren't for everyone, but there is a strong demand among tons of "yuppie types" and empty nesters and everyone else in between. People who don't want to live in the urban core or downtown should and will stay away. When they don't stay away we get endless surface lots, Costco, and suburbanization in an urban area. I'm almost positive there are tons of surburbadroids in Chicago and New York who curse the city and stay in their respecitive 'Burb whenever possible. Naysayers, surburbadroids, and haters will always exist. But that doesn't mean you should let them dictate or influence your course of action.

Once the massive cranes go up in the South Loop, the PAC breaks ground, the Crossroads welcomes new businesses week after week, and the public finally sees a sketch of a new arena...perceptions change. If out-of-state investors and developers have reported being "bullish" on downtown KC, 909's $1 million dollar penthouse should be of little concern. Worst comes to worst, they split it up or lower the price.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think that trends in housing are changing a lot in this country. A lot of people are spending more time working than ever before. Compared to other industrialized nations, Americans work longer hours and have fewer holidays. In situations where both spouses work, they are starting to realize that they don't have a lot of free time to do yard work, and home maintenance. Retired couples would rather spend time traveling than having to stay home and do yard work. Living in condominiums is more convenient for many nowadays. However, many people don't want to feel like they are living in an ordinary, run-of-the-mill apartment. They have discretionary income and want a more luxurious home than an apartment often provides. Plus, they want to modify it to suit their tastes. For these reasons, I think that more and more people will turn to condos and urban living in the near future. People are also willing to pay for extraordinary views.
There is no fifth destination.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Many of the people who have recently moved to the metro area are from the coasts, and those folks are used to urban living. For them, towers like 909 are not unusual in the least. Wtih this infulx of new blood, I think that perceptions about the urban core will begin to change. The perceptions of downtown can often be traced to where one was raised. Suburbanites who grew up in the midwest, and in rural areas, are wanting a combination of the amenities of a big city, combined with more "rural" living environment. Those from larger urban centers will have a different perspective and appreciate the urban core. As long as we continue to have new people coming in with a more urban experience, the downtown will continue to improve and have a greater visibility throughout the area.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

http://www.909walnut.com

Website is up, not much on it now, mostly trying to pre-lease the office space.

kcteen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kcteen »

the photos on the site look cool....
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Some of them are from BNIM space in the Power & Light Building. Strange.

KCDowntown
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

OK, I'm siked, anybody think we could another forum meet and tour the place?
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

GRID wrote:OK, I'm siked, anybody think we could another forum meet and tour the place?
I'm there!
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'd be down....somebody call up the realtor and tell them we were interested in buying the 1.2M condo :)

KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

That reminds me of the episode of Seinfeld I saw last night where Kramer went into the condo as Mr Pennypacker to use the bathroom.

I would love to check that place out. Just 100 years on my grad student salary and its mine 8)
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

KC wrote:I'd be down....somebody call up the realtor and tell them we were interested in buying the 1.2M condo :)
I say we team up and buy the condo as a forum timeshare. We'll rotate on who gets to throw the party up there.
mpls
Pad site
Pad site

Post by mpls »

KCDevin wrote:yup, tallest in every midwest state except Illinois.
i must interject: there are two planned in minneapolis which could potentially unseat the 909. bridge place at 39 stories would rise to 144 meters, but thats to the top of the spire. however, there is a 50 story planned which would no doubt be higher than 141 meters.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

mpls, note the date on that post, before the skyscrapers were planned ;)
also, im sure you looked at the diagrams 909 Walnut is 141.7m
and if or when the Power & Light Building becomes residential, it already tops out at 526ft