Library Lofts

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Library Lofts

Post by Thrillcekr »

I was browsing some rental ads and I noticed that Library Lofts offers a pretty good sized pad for a cheap price.  I am looking for a house but, if for some reason I don't find what I'm looking for, I might be interested in these.  Anyone out there got any good info on this place?

http://www.forrent.com/search/detail.asp?site=999906341
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Library Lofts

Post by KCDowntown »

I live in this building...Here is my take.

Everything about the building's common areas are kept in good order.  The fitness room is the nicest amenity inside.  Depending on where your at in the building, you can have a pretty sweet view for pretty cheap.

My biggest complaint is the washer and dryer combo.  My hasn't worked since January, and the maintenance staff and the office staff have been pretty incompotent about the whole thing.  However, even if it worked it still is a piece of garbage.  A load of laundry takes 3 hours, and everything will have to be ironed to be worn.  Fortunately, they have washer/dryer rooms on most floors, but it will cost you 2 bucks a load.

Neighbors are always a crapshoot.  Fortunately for me, mine are very nice.  The walls are slightly above average for keeping out sound.  Generally most sound is kept out.  But, if your neighbor has a barking dog you will know.  On the north side of the building your loudest neighbor will be John's Upper Deck.  The karoake during the week will sometimes go to 1:30 AM which is not pleasant, and makes me love this weather.  Bands play Thursday through Saturday.  On Thursday they stop at midnight and Friday - Saturday at 1 something.

The biggest positive is the area, it is always pretty active (if graded on the typical downtown Kansas City scale of activity).

Overall, it is a pretty nice place to live,  but if you value your sleep stay off the north side.

KCDowntown
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Well, they don't look bad from the web site.
KC is the way to be!
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

I have a nice view of this place from my workplace on the north side of City Center Square. Other than the Garment District, it's my favorite part of downtown, very walkable and dense, with at least a few amenities, including the library (obviously) all within a stone's throw. Plus it's like a five minute walk to Power & Light, which will be an added bonus to residents.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
Denver Josh
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Denver Josh »

Damn those are awesome views!  Sign me up for a 1 bedroom!

Oh, wait.....
"My ego's like my stomach, it keeps...shitting what I feed it."  Tim Kasher   / www.joshoakhurst.com
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

I was very impressed by the square footage.  It's well above what is being offered by most in the same price range.
AimlessLad
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by AimlessLad »

I've lived @ Library Lofts for one year, and just renewed for a second. I live in the West building (the one with the gym, office, etc...) on the 10th floor, north-facing. Rent is $855, and I  know you can some for much cheaper as well as much more expensive. They're paying for my parking in year two. The washer/dryer combos are fine if ONLY used for socks, underwear and maybe t-shirts. Otherwise I just use coin-operated stuff, found on each floor. I've never had anything break so never had to deal with repairs, but any other time I've called maintenance they've been right on top of it (hot water heater being the only thing that comes to mind).

Below are some views from my place, shot just five minutes ago.

ImageImageImage
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

I love that north view of the trainyard, highway and airport.  It is like a transportation montage framed by the river.  I'd sit there all day and watch them sort trains while the planes took off.

Awesome place, man!
AimlessLad
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by AimlessLad »

What's so cool about these lofts (and unfortunately what I take for granted since I've been here long enough) are the gigantic windows and view for miles - assuming you're in a loft with a view. I was blown away by how much sky you can see. It's awesome for thunderstorms, and I had prime seats for the air show last summer.  :lol:
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Those views wouldn't stretch for miles if it weren't for all of the accursed parking lots downtown.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah it's kind of sad you can be on the 10th floor in the middle of the cbd and see all the way to the airport because of that stretch of surface lots.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Nougat
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Nougat »

some of the advertised low prices for high square footage lofts there are more than likely for the tax subsidized spots, which aren't available in all their buildings.  and you have to make below a certain amount to qualify. 
one of those buildings though is the hanover building which is closer to 10th and main.  its smaller, but has some interesting views, namely the activity going on just below at the transit plaza.  its pretty good about sound though, the busses dont bother me much.  but anyway, you are probably looking at the advertised price of 495 or so.  if you dont qualify it sounds like you will be spending at least 800 something. 
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

Nougat wrote: some of the advertised low prices for high square footage lofts there are more than likely for the tax subsidized spots, which aren't available in all their buildings.  and you have to make below a certain amount to qualify. 
one of those buildings though is the hanover building which is closer to 10th and main.  its smaller, but has some interesting views, namely the activity going on just below at the transit plaza.  its pretty good about sound though, the busses dont bother me much.  but anyway, you are probably looking at the advertised price of 495 or so.  if you dont qualify it sounds like you will be spending at least 800 something. 
That figures.  I ran into the same thing when I checked into the lofts in NKC.  Even if I were a family of 4 I still made too much money.  I didn't realize I was so "wealthy" while cruising around in my banged up little economy jalopy.  I'm probably one of the brokest dudes in Platte County.  :shock:
driver 8
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by driver 8 »

First off this is my first post on this board and I have to say that i've found this place to be a pretty cool and informative message board in the past few months that i've been lurking here since I discovered this place.  I'm moving from the burbs in Gladstone next month to the Library lofts. I have a one bedroom on the top floor of the Board & Trade building reserved and I can't wait to move in! I looked around at a number of lofts like Soho South, Soho West, Vine Street and 7th Street lofts but the combination of the awesome view and garaged parking made me choose this place. Down the road I would like to buy a loft-condo because this is one suburbadroid who has escaped the wasteland that is the northland and isn't going back anytime soon! :lol:
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

driver 8 wrote: First off this is my first post on this board and I have to say that i've found this place to be a pretty cool and informative message board in the past few months that i've been lurking here since I discovered this place.  I'm moving from the burbs in Gladstone next month to the Library lofts. I have a one bedroom on the top floor of the Board & Trade building reserved and I can't wait to move in! I looked around at a number of lofts like Soho South, Soho West, Vine Street and 7th Street lofts but the combination of the awesome view and garaged parking made me choose this place. Down the road I would like to buy a loft-condo because this is one suburbadroid who has escaped the wasteland that is the northland and isn't going back anytime soon! :lol:
Welcome to the forum and to the city, driver!  Glad to have you.  There should be plenty that will interest you here with everything going on downtown that you'll be living right in the middle of.  You've got the best location since you are equi-distant from P+L, River Market and Quality Hill, with transit options galore right next door.  Have fun!
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Hey driver8-welcome.

Do I know you from any other forums?
driver 8
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by driver 8 »

staubio

Thanks for the welcome and yeah I love the central location of these lofts and i'm very excited about all the development that will be happening just few blocks away from where I will live! :D

nota

Unless you are an audiophile than I doubt we've been on the same forums but thanks for the welcome!
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

driver 8 wrote: staubio

Thanks for the welcome and yeah I love the central location of these lofts and i'm very excited about all the development that will be happening just few blocks away from where I will live! :D

nota

Unless you are an audiophile than I doubt we've been on the same forums but thanks for the welcome!
There is a driver8 on another forum I frequent.
driver 8
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by driver 8 »

Well i've moved into my loft and I finally have my internet, phone and cable up and running again after two weeks without it because of a mixup with Time Warner.  :x  The view here from the 12th floor is amazing and I like being in walking distance from many cool places.  I don't hear much sound from my other neighbors except John's Big Deck of course and these units seem to have pretty good construction though they seem to be growing some pretty big rats in the basement! :shock: Now I just need Oggi to hurry up and deliver the furniture I ordered.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

I too had major problems with Time Warner when I moved to Westport. Something about the last tenant in my unit owing an unpaid balance, and I had to prove that I myself indeed was not the former tenant. What a pain in the arse all that was.

photoblog.