Omaha Amusement Park in Planning

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
DTO
Colonnade
Colonnade

Omaha Amusement Park in Planning

Post by DTO »

Now we'll have one less reason to go to Kansas City. ;)

Here is the website http://www.portnebraska.com

And here's a link to some early renderings of the park. http://eomaha.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1581

We're not overly excited yet. This guy has tried to other times before to bring an amusment park to Omaha (Downtonw, Council Bluffs IA) but has never been able to secure financing. This time though he does have some backing of an Omaha Congressman and some state senators, but as of yet he has no soild financial backing. The site would be somewhere btwn Omaha and Lincoln next to the coming Cabela's Store which is also waiting approval for state tax breaks to set up and entertainment zone.

Even despite the lack of money the developer was pretty up beat and said construction could start this fall even. We'll see. He's been saying the same thing for awhile. But if he does get it built this time then don't count on seeing as many Nebraska plates at World's of Fun in a few years.  :P
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Omaha Amusement Park in Planning

Post by GRID »

Those are some real cheesy renderings  :?

I hope Omaha does not get a park, sorry, but I think WOF really needs the Omaha crowd to survive as a big-league park.  They are barely hanging on as a major park now (even silver dollar city kills them now), but if Omaha or Des Moines build parks, then WOF will get even worse, and we will all have lackluster parks.
Missionite
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Missionite »

Des Moines does have a park. (Adventureland)

Wichita has a park. (Joyland -- recently bought by new owners and should see several new rides, coasters and renovations in coming years).

Two more parks are on their way to Wichita as well. A new one in Park City is in planning stages (still a year or two off) and All-Star Sports is opening Memorial Day.

Worlds of Fun needs more competition. I think they're dragging their heels right now because they don't really have to do much to stay afloat. Adventureland hasn't added anything major. Six Flags hasn't either. The Branson parks are the only ones doing anything right now. For them, the next  few years are looking great!  :-#

Don't give up hopes on WOF yet though. From what I've seen/heard, next year really will be the big one. The U.S. Trademark office has a ride name registered for Cedar Fair. And, by process of elimination WOF is due to get that ride name. They don't just trademark any old ride...only the big ones.  :D

The Omaha park...well...what can I say? I doubt it will go through. This Minard guy is a fraud. This Papa's Park, Port Nebraska, Wild Escape charade has been going on for years. You could say this project is Omaha's version of "Oz."

Matt
Discover America's Theme Parks @ www.ThemeParksMagazine.com
cpt4599
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by cpt4599 »

Wow looks incredibly lame!
DTO
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by DTO »

I hope we do get this because driving to KC every year for an amusement park is getting old. This was a pretty big story on all of the news stations tonight. I guess the guy (at least he said :roll:) said he does have the financial backing for the park. I guess he's waiting to make a big announcement for whenever the state ratifies LB500 which would give developers tax breaks for projects like this and other developments that could be large tourist destinations.

And my my aren't we jealous, Kansas City. We're just talking about a park and already you guys get upset and bash the park. It's only on paper. And even if it looks lame it will still be newer than WoF and be built upon just like WoF has over the years. Plus if this does get built it won't be closed for part of the year like WoF because it plans on having indoor rollercoasters and other indoor attractions.
DTO
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by DTO »

Omaha World Herald wrote:

Developer eyes I-80 site to build amusement park

An announcement is planned for Friday involving an amusement park that developers hope to build near the Mahoney State Park interchange along Interstate 80.

The developer, who failed in an attempt to build an amusement park in Council Bluffs, has been looking at I-80's exit 426, the Mahoney Park exit in Cass County. But several people familiar with the theme park idea said the developer also is looking across the Platte River into Sarpy County.

What specifically will be announced Friday isn't clear.

Steve Minard, president of Metro Omaha Theme Park LLC, said in a press release that he would announce a project "that will excite people across the state."

The press release includes a statement from U.S. Rep. Lee Terry of Omaha: "This is an exciting announcement that will add to the quality of life for Nebraskans by adding family-friendly year-round entertainment."

Terry was unavailable for comment Wednesday. A spokeswoman, Jen Rae Hein, said Terry has been "loosely involved" in the project for about a year. She said he likes the project because it would encourage economic development.

Minard earlier proposed the $70 million Wild Escape park for Council Bluffs but couldn't secure financing.

He said Wednesday that he has secured financing to make the current proposal a reality. He also said he has picked a site but did not plan to reveal it Friday.

Toby Churchill, executive director of the Sarpy County Economic Development Corp., said the developers have looked at sites in both Cass and Sarpy Counties. Randy Lenhoff, president of the Seldin Co. of Omaha, said he has talked with Minard about land the firm owns in western Sarpy. Others who would speak only on the condition of anonymity also confirmed the interest in a Sarpy County site.

In recent weeks, the developers have worked to move their project forward.

Metro Omaha Theme Park registered last month as a lobbyist before the Nebraska Legislature, giving its address as the outlet shopping mall outside Gretna.

A bill on the floor of the Legislature could boost such a project. Legislative Bill 500 would allow for creation of special entertainment and tourism districts, where projects could qualify for sales and lodging tax incentives to help fund construction. Sidney, Neb.-based retailer Cabela's originally sought the bill, hoping to build in Sarpy County.

State Sen. Abbie Cornett of Bellevue, who sits on the Revenue Committee, said the developers talked with her about the bill and possibly using it to build an amusement park between Omaha and Lincoln along I-80.

Cornett said the project is unrelated to Cabela's.

From the Lincoln Journal Star

Minard says he's building park

Developer Steve Minard said Thursday that his Wild Escape theme park will definitely be built in Nebraska. Exactly where and when he would not say, although he promised a Friday press conference that would shed more light on the project.

Omaha congressman Lee Terry will be at the 3 p.m. event, at the Papio-Missouri River Natural Resources District headquarters, 8901 S. 154th St. in Omaha.

A press release announcing the conference described Wild Escape as " a community oriented theme park with entertainment, rides and attractions, dining and shopping activities."

A spokeswoman for Terry said the congressman has been working with Minard for about a year on the project.

The project was originally planned for Council Bluffs, Iowa, but Minard was unable to get the money together to make it work. He said that won't be a problem with the Nebraska location, believed to be somewhere east of Lincoln along Interstate 80. Terry spokeswoman Jen Rae Hein said Minard has given the congressman assurance that the project will be completed.

Park developers have looked at sites in Cass and Sarpy counties, Sarpy County Economic Development Corporation executive director Toby Churchill said Thursday.
Missionite
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Missionite »

Hey, I'm not jealous at all. I would love for Omaha to have a park. It means more coasters and rides for me. I make it to every park in the region at least once a year (several of them more than once) and have season passes to Silver Dollar City/Celebration City, Six Flags and Worlds of Fun. I live for coasters and parks (and also make a little money off of the hobby) so if Omaha gets a park, you can guarantee I'll be there opening day.

I wish you guys (Omaha) and Minard the best. I just have doubts. After spending years hearing about the Oz Entertainment Company (I believe it was called) babble over sites in KCK and DeSoto for years, nobody cared any more. He lied one too many times and was shady the whole way through. I hope Minard isn't like that, but his track record hasn't been so great so far. That's all.

Matt
DTO
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by DTO »

We're all hoping the third times a charm.
Missionite
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Missionite »

Oh yeah...and if I want to ride coasters year 'round, I'll still have the option of driving to Branson (SDC is open March-December) for a few spins on Wildfire, Powder Keg and Thunderation. I'll then cap off the day with a pipin' hot mug of cider or hot wassail.

:cheers:

Matt
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DTO wrote: Now we'll have one less reason to go to Kansas City. ;)
I don't understand this thinking.  KC has a zoo but people still go to Omaha for the zoo.  People travel no matter what...I'm happy to get out of the city and visit other cities.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote: I don't understand this thinking.  KC has a zoo but people still go to Omaha for the zoo.  People travel no matter what...I'm happy to get out of the city and visit other cities.
Yeah...I guess the goal is to make it so you never have to leave Omaha ever. What a boring, useless life.
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

I will always look forward to visiting KC... and while I have my doubts about Minard's latest attempt, both Omaha and Lincoln can really use SOME form of amusement park, it doesn't have to be anything spectacular.  I am sure I will continue to make trips to WOF (and the many other draws which KC provides) regardless of what happens.

Try to ignore DTO... he's Omaha's own version of 'trailerkid'

:P
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

wow, worlds of fun!  i haven't been there since approximately 1992.  isn't it just a degenerate cess pool of white trash from sugar crick and hood rats with hi-c mustaches now?
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

And my my aren't we jealous, Kansas City. We're just talking about a park and already you guys get upset and bash the park. It's only on paper. And even if it looks lame it will still be newer than WoF and be built upon just like WoF has over the years. Plus if this does get built it won't be closed for part of the year like WoF because it plans on having indoor rollercoasters and other indoor attractions.[quote][/quote]

You gotta be kidding me.  Jealous???  I seriously hope you guy's get the park.  What the hell else is there to do in Omaha in the summer.  I guess you could sit outside with your closest friends and stare at the Qwest Center and dream of landing the Big 12 bandminton championships.  The park to really look out for is Silver Dollar City in Branson.  Once Branson Landing opens in the next 2-3 years that town is going to whole 'nother level as far as entertainment.  Hell Celebration City is already better than the proposal for BlOmaha and it didn't require screwing the taxpayers either.
Calling a spade a spade.
DTO
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by DTO »

Just because we could possibly get a park doens't meen that we'll never go to WoF. It would probably just mean less frequnet trips. And for the record there's plenty to do in Omaha in the summer. Sitting and looking at the Qwest Center just happens to be a hobby of mine.  :P
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

There is nothing wrong with Omaha getting their own park.  Will it hurt WOF?  Possibly.  Should Omaha be worried about whether it does? No.  They need to do what is best for them.  If WOF wants to counter this then they simply need to step up their game and offer a superior product.  That's what competition is all about and the consumers are the ones that ultimately benefit from it in terms of quality and cost.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Silver Dollar City might be doing fine, but Branson itself is hurting big time.  one of my good friends' family recently closed their restaurant down there after many many years in business.  Branson seems to be on the way out.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

Branson tourism numbers were flat last year.  That being said Silver Dollar City still drew 2 million visitors.  That's more than the entire state of Nebraska.  Branson being on the way out?  Not with gas prices the way they are.  Even more people will decide to vacation in places like Branson instead of wasting money on gas to cross the country.  Also there are loads of retiree's moving to the Tri-Lakes area in Southwest Missouri, especially from California, Illinois, New York and other high priced housing area's.  You don't think those people won't frequest Branson..
Calling a spade a spade.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

yea, maybe this will make wof step their game up because wof sucks balls.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

ShowME wrote: Branson tourism numbers were flat last year.  That being said Silver Dollar City still drew 2 million visitors.  That's more than the entire state of Nebraska.  Branson being on the way out?  Not with gas prices the way they are.  Even more people will decide to vacation in places like Branson instead of wasting money on gas to cross the country.   Also there are loads of retiree's moving to the Tri-Lakes area in Southwest Missouri, especially from California, Illinois, New York and other high priced housing area's.  You don't think those people won't frequest Branson..
Or.... Maybe that (gas prices) is one of the reasons why there has been a decline in the tourism there.  Some of them are probably deciding to keep their butts at home and ride out the storm because the cost of gas for a trip from KC to Branson is equivalent to that of an airline ticket to most destinations in the U.S.  I don't travel to Branson but I've decided against any lengthy road trips due to the ridiculous price of fuel.  I could afford it but I simply refuse to spend that kind of money on gasoline.  I would not be surprised at all if Branson's tourism numbers skyrocket again once the cost of petroleum goes down (if it ever does).