Sasaki Team Posits Another Future BallPark Site

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Sasaki Team Posits Another Future BallPark Site

Post by ComandanteCero »

Pretty interesting:

(for full article check out the Sasaki thread [glow=red,2,300]http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/newforum/i ... pic=4956.0[/glow]

One of the more high-profile redevelopment strategies suggested by the Sasaki team for the east Crossroads area was a ballpark. That area has not been suggested in previous ballpark studies done by the Downtown Council and the Urban Society of Kansas City.

Madden said her group was intrigued by what they called the Rail Corridor Site, much of which is an 1,100-space parking lot used by Children's Mercy Hospital employees. It generally is bound on the south by the Kansas City Terminal Railroad, the north by 19th Street, the west by the Oak Street viaduct and the east by Cherry Street.

The location would provide plenty of room for a ballpark and be close enough to tie in with other downtown development, she said. The group also looked at two ballpark sites reviewed by the Downtown Council — one at 16th and Main streets in the Crossroads, the other near Eighth and Main streets on the north side of downtown.

She said the Eighth and Main site, the current favorite of downtown interests, could work but would be a tight fit. The 16th and Main site was faulted for being too close to other developments, including the Kansas City Live entertainment district, the planned Sprint Center arena and the performing arts center proposed for 16th and Central streets.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
scooterj
Ambassador

Re: Sasaki Team Posits Another Future BallPark Site

Post by scooterj »

It's about time someone higher up noticed that site...  that had been my prefered site from the very begining of all this until I saw the North Loop renderings.

It's a HUGE site, it's level, probably very cheap, very little to demolish (and none of it noteworthy), reasonably near attractions, could help tie in 18th & Vine, etc.

The only major drawbacks are the same semi-poor access as Washington Square, no view to speak of, and a surrounding bar/restaurant area would literally have to be built from scratch.  (Though there are an abundance of buildings ready for this purpose.)
kurtiebird
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kurtiebird »

Hey Scooter, how about putting together a color coded map that shows this site in relation to the entertainment district and 18th and Vine area?

:D
BBTSB
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

kurtiebird wrote: Hey Scooter, how about putting together a color coded map that shows this site in relation to the entertainment district and 18th and Vine area?

:D
You mean like this?

In this one, yellow = 19th & Oak site discussed above, blue = Wash Square for comparison

Here's the 19th & Oak site by itself.  Surface parking and a few nondescript 1-story warehouses. 
This site measures 3 blocks east-west by 1-3/4 blocks north-south on the west side
to 1-1/3 blocks north-south on the east side.

Here's my view of that site from work.   In this picture, the yellow is the stadium site, the blue is a spot I proposed for inserting a parking garage between the 2 major elevated roadways here.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

You know, I like it!  It's not as good as the site next to US (I'm just about done beating that horse) and it's one of the secondary sites that I saw.  Plenty of space and close to a lot of other ammenities.  I'll have to say that Washington looks too small.  Thought that from the beginning.

Scooter- I signed up for the free keyhole program that you use.  It's really nice.  How do you copy pictures like that?  Great program.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

One small problem - no baseball team wants to play there!
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kurtiebird
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kurtiebird »

Nice job, Scooter. More positive karma for you :)

If the outfield pointed north-northwest, that'd be a great view of downtown, dontchathink?
BBTSB
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

kurtiebird wrote: Nice job, Scooter. More positive karma for you :)

If the outfield pointed north-northwest, that'd be a great view of downtown, dontchathink?
It would be... it would be a specatular view... but would they point a stadium in any direction that includes the word "west"?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

This site sucks. It has all the disadvantages of Wash Square Park and none of the advantages. I'd take it if it is this or nothing, but it's not impressive having the stadium next to a large hospital complex.

I don't get why Wash Square got bashed so bad for not having access to surrounding gritty 'hoods when this site seems isolated and in the middle of nowheresville. The North Loop site is absolutely tiny and you'd have to close three streets and tear down a bunch of crap so I'd favor this site over that, but not over the Wash Square site. The North Loop would need a stadium village going over the freeway so I don't see how that's any different that what you'd need at the Sasaki site or Wash Square.