50s/Main development

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: 50s/Main development

Post by Tosspot »

What did they sell at this store?

------------------------

Re -- accursos moving to the new building - i tend to sympathize, i wonder what the motivation was behind this, because that place they've been in forever has gotta have way more atmosphere than this new building.

and by the way... could we have at least added one or two extra stories above these new buildings? In true Kansas City fashion we eschew land use intensity that would benefit us long term for gawd knows whatever dumb reason...

I approve of the Planet Sub moving into the firehouse, however!

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Tosspot wrote: What did they sell at this store?
Middle Class Values peddled assorted liberal paraphernalia to earnest brooksiders and midtowners - i.e. the "somewhere in texas a village is missing its idiot" and "visualize whirled peas" bumper stickers that adorn many a subaru wagon in the greater kansas city area.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

chrizow wrote: Middle Class Values peddled assorted liberal paraphernalia to earnest brooksiders and midtowners - i.e. the "somewhere in texas a village is missing its idiot" and "visualize whirled peas" bumper stickers that adorn many a subaru wagon in the greater kansas city area.
Ah, sounds like something right up your alley, eh chriz?  :lol:

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I'm extremely disappointed at Accurso's moving.  The atmosphere of that old place was AWESOME.  All the way down to the bathroom that was hardly big enough for you to turn around in.  Very old school, dirty and dingy, red and white checker vinyl table cloths.  It was perfect.  Now, I'm sure the taste of the food will change too.  If it's a brand new kitchen, it's going to take a long time to develop the burnt, charred character to impart flavors on the food.  Certain foods always taste better when cooked on equipment that has seen decades of heavy use.  Such as bbq or pizza.  Accurso's is no exception.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

PumpkinStalker wrote: I'm extremely disappointed at Accurso's moving.  The atmosphere of that old place was AWESOME.  All the way down to the bathroom that was hardly big enough for you to turn around in.  Very old school, dirty and dingy, red and white checker vinyl table cloths.  It was perfect.  Now, I'm sure the taste of the food will change too.  If it's a brand new kitchen, it's going to take a long time to develop the burnt, charred character to impart flavors on the food.  Certain foods always taste better when cooked on equipment that has seen decades of heavy use.  Such as bbq or pizza.  Accurso's is no exception.
Totally agree here.  I've eaten there a few times, but never just gone in for a tipple.  I hope I have a chance to enjoy the old school bar before it shuts down for the move.  Unless it already has?
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Are we positive they will be getting new kitchen equipment?  I guess it's safe to assume they will, but maybe they could save some $$ using the old stuff?
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Is sad to hear Accurso's is moving to newer digs.  I wasn't particularly a fan of the food but it was passable neighborhood grub that felt like it was integrated into the hood's past.  These are the dying breeds of KC's past.  I also miss the broader range of counter diners BTW, which are also declining in KC bigtime.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Midtownkid wrote: Are we positive they will be getting new kitchen equipment?  I guess it's safe to assume they will, but maybe they could save some $$ using the old stuff?
Purely speculation.  I don't see why they wouldn't.  I'm sure it's appealing and it would be a royal pain to move all that crap a block down. 

I think I might go down tonight and have myself a farewell dinner at the bar.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I went a few weeks ago for the first time and found the food to be quite good. Great feeling of a neighborhood place with very friendly service.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Well things must have changed there over the years, as I've been privy to old-tymey stories of Soup-Naziesque hostilities emanating from the owner. That was a long time ago though.

photoblog. 

PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Had a relative that worked there in the kitchen for several years and he always spoke highly of Joe Accurso, but I can see where you might have heard of those types of stories Toss!
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

What the fucking hell?!  According to the Accurso's website, the old building will be demolished!  Why?  What's wrong with it?  The website says they will have a bright shiney sparkling modern buildig down the block. Who wants that?!  I'll kick their ass! 
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

PumpkinStalker wrote: What the fucking hell?!  According to the Accurso's website, the old building will be demolished!  Why?  What's wrong with it?  The website says they will have a bright shiney sparkling modern buildig down the block. Who wants that?!  I'll kick their ass! 
The Peanut as well as far as I know.

Kansas City history running in circles, as we can see.

photoblog. 

ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

:(  The only way this can be prevented is for the hood to stand up and fight.  And that probably won't be enough with our ditsy 'urban renewal' minded council.  It's equally as awful when the Morton's/Dove theatre strip was torn down.
Last edited by ignatius on Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Just had a spicy chicken penne pasta dish. Came with a great salad and garlic bread for $17. Little pricey but was very good. Bartender and the guy next to me (apparently had some connection to the place since he walked into the kitchen after chatting and having a few drinks) talked a bit about the bldg. Apparently built in 1904 and they joked they hoped it lasted another couple months before everyone fell into the basement. Said the floor joists are bad and whole bldg would have to be gutted and rebuilt. Bartender said the plan was for a wholefoods type of store but didn't think that is going through. Could also be a condo tower. Old double dragon restaurant and lounge is owned by people that own Baja 600 on plaza. They are raising capital to try and open an Irish Pub. The old gas station across the street from accurso's is apparently tough for many reasons including the obvious like environmental and parking issues. That's all I know for now. I still call bullshit. 
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

PumpkinStalker wrote: What the fucking hell?!  According to the Accurso's website, the old building will be demolished!  Why?  What's wrong with it?  The website says they will have a bright shiney sparkling modern buildig down the block. Who wants that?!  I'll kick their ass! 
That sucks.  If we, as a 'forum community' wanted to stop just talking, and actually do something...this sounds like an opportunity.  Lets stop this tear down from happening!  Sadly, I can't join in the fight...and probably nothing will happen anyway.  But, just throwing out the idea.  People seemed to want to start 'doing something' with this forum.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Haven't seen anyone mention Station 32 Pizza in the same old firehouse where Planet Sub moved.  Anyone try it yet?
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

^I saw that but haven't been yet.  Is it run by Planet Sub?  That's 4 pizza places in that area now with Spin coming, Minsky's and Pizza 51 (one of my faves) down the road.
Cheffreygo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Cheffreygo »

I must have missed something -- where is the SPIN going in?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Cheffreygo wrote: I must have missed something -- where is the SPIN going in?
Right next door to the Planet Sub building in the new 'strip'.  Makes no sense to me to have two pizza places so close together.  But, I guess it is somewhat of a college hangout area.