New KC Downtown Ballpark proposal ~ Renderings + Plan

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: New KC Downtown Ballpark proposal ~ Renderings + Plan

Post by voltopt »

just a quick thought about proximity.

washington square park is at Pershing Rd. and Grand Boulevard.
it is south of the terminal railway tracks. 
Pershing Road is the equivalent of  23rd Street. 
The bars and Restaurants of Union Station-
Pierponts mainly, right?  a couple more?  a total of three to four?
The bars and restaurants of Crown Center-
There are many restaurants in the mall.  There is the American Restaurant, which is essentially 3 blocks from Pershing and Grand.  There is Skies, which is one block away. 
On the other side of the tracks...
After crossing a vehicular bridge over traintracks (either at Main or Grand)...
there is the Frieght House, about 3 blocks away.  There are galleries too.  On the other side there would be the Cashew.  also, further along, maybe 4 blocks away is Zin, Bar Natasha, DB warehouse, and other various Crossroads things. This is 18th and Main, 19th and Main.  This is 5 blocks away or so.  Power and light is another 6 blocks away, at 13th and Main, correct?  a total of 11 blocks from this stadium site?
okay, 8th and Main stadium.  across the street is the Phoenix.  within three more blocks, at 10th and Broadway, are two bars and 3 restaurants (Tanners, Quaff, Majestic, etc)
at 9th and Broadway, two blocks away, are the mexican restaurant and the Peanut.  further away on Main and Walnut, about 2-3 blocks away, is Stables bar, and Josie Ann's and John's Big Deck at 10th and wyandotte.  3 blocks away from that is 13th and Main, which is Power and Light.  Also there are hotels and hotel restaurants and bars on 12th street.  okay, so 13th and Main would be 5-6 blocks away.
this does not take into account the River Market.  it is separated by the highway, just as crossroads is separated by the railway trench.
there are as many hotels near 8th and Main as there are near pershing and Grand.  there are better connections to INTERSTATE HIGHWAY TRAVEL at 8th and Main.  8th and Main is 4 BLOCKS closer to P&L, and is also inside the Loop. 

Its a matter of what seems more important, i guess. 
i wish i could diagram this better...
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

????  There have been issues with certain threads not making the move for some reason...the one you speak of and the Nelson one are the two biggest.  I'm not smart enough to know how to bring it over manually.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
K.C.Highrise
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by K.C.Highrise »

Seriously why are you guys still talking about this. It's simple Washington Sq. Park is too small thus it can't be built there. The 8th st. location, even though it was my favorite comes in second to the children's mercy parking lot, which I now think is overwelmingly the best location. However none of these are going to happen anytime soon so why are you wasting your time arguing about it. Go pick up some trash downtown... it would be a hell of a lot more productive.
kman
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kman »

K.C.Highrise wrote: However none of these are going to happen anytime soon so why are you wasting your time arguing about it. Go pick up some trash downtown... it would be a hell of a lot more productive.
Finally, a voice of reason.
RoyalVirus
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by RoyalVirus »

I work for the Company that owns the majority of that land that is in the newly proposed plan and knowing my company like I do I can almost guarantee they would not be in favor of this plan as that land is needed for employee parking and the building on that land just recently had a complete internal makeover done.
Royal Virus

Spreading the Sickness of being a dedicated Royals Fan!

http://www.royalmania.com
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

RoyalVirus wrote: I work for the Company that owns the majority of that land that is in the newly proposed plan and knowing my company like I do I can almost guarantee they would not be in favor of this plan as that land is needed for employee parking and the building on that land just recently had a complete internal makeover done.
Which stadium location are you talking about?  North of downtown, Washington Park, or East of Western Auto/North of Children's Mercy?
K.C.Highrise
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by K.C.Highrise »

I am both reading and responding to Kcskyscrapers because I too think that the K.C. redevelopment is very important however I do want to point out the obserdity of endlessly talking about a downtown baseball stadium because there is NO possibility of building one in the near future. I would love a baseball stadium downtown, however it's not going to happen anytime soon, you know this as well as I do. But hey go ahead and talk about it. Let's also talk about when the Royals will win the World Series. Which do you think will come first a downtown basebal stadium, or the Royals winning it all?
Oh and they were talking about the Children's Mercy parking lot beautyfromashes.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Hey, we get it.  You don't want to talk about it.  Heard you the first time.  The reason it IS important to talk about is because with the rapid expansion of downtown there aren't going to be as many prime locations left in a few years.  The Union Station plot that I've talked about, for example.  If they were planning ahead for the possibility of a downtown park they might not have built a parking garage in the best possible location for the stadium.  You also have to realize that land prices are skyrocketing downtown.  If the city is smart they will designate the location they want for a stadium (or stadiumS) and try to reserve the land.  It's great that things are progressing speedily downtown but if the building is done without a master plan then it will be a waste.  It has to be done wisely.  But hey, if you're not a dreamer then go to the threads with pictures of H&R being built or the new Arena. 
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

this forum is called New KC Downtown Ballpark proposal ~ Renderings + Plan.

hence the "impossible" discussion of a downtown baseball stadium.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

Hey...I'm never gonna bed a supermodel. But that doesn't keep me from thinking about it.  :D
K.C.Highrise
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by K.C.Highrise »

Ok whatever. I won't lose sleep over it. Just think it's a waste of time.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

beautyfromashes wrote:If the city is smart they will designate the location they want for a stadium (or stadiumS) and try to reserve the land.
No, this would not be smart at all.  The last thing we need to do is to create dead spots on purpose, closing them off from development.  One of the major reasons the south loop finally descended into a total craphole was because land was assembled for the original Power and Light district.  If something wants to pop up on my preferred spot in the north loop, let them.  The last thing we need to do is hold onto those surface lots just in case somebody wants to build a stadium there.  Lets deal with that issue if and when it comes. 
K.C.Highrise
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by K.C.Highrise »

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

staubio wrote: No, this would not be smart at all.  The last thing we need to do is to create dead spots on purpose, closing them off from development.  One of the major reasons the south loop finally descended into a total craphole was because land was assembled for the original Power and Light district.  If something wants to pop up on my preferred spot in the north loop, let them.  The last thing we need to do is hold onto those surface lots just in case somebody wants to build a stadium there.  Lets deal with that issue if and when it comes. 
But it's also interesting that the South Loop and its vast array of already cleared land will be the site for the city's most ambitious project ever even if it did take decades. I don't see a problem with securing a baseball site now if many of the lots are already cleared (e.g. surface lots) or contain crappy properties. It's not like two surface lots and a rubber stamp retailer are really going to organically develop into rich, urban neighborhood.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Michael® wrote: Great point tk :D

Also, the south loop area had several plans that failed, allowing the decades to pass. Hopefully this final P&L will be worth it.

I think the city better start thinking about a site now. Especially if they want the future park to be on mass transit.

I do like the site near Hospital Hill ( 20th & Oak) if we can't make Washington Square work.
I'm to the point where I don't care where the stadium goes as long as it isn't isolated from downtown.