Another Reason Legends is Failure

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

The idea of a movie theater at the Legends was one that envisioned a high class theater out there that was an original experience for the KC area. With the opening of the Dickinson Pallazzo in south Overland Park, the Legends Theater is coming too late to the game.

Lets think about it, the planning for the theater was taking place 2 years ago!!!! All of the Kansas City movie theater companies (AMC, Cinemark, and Dickinson) passed on the Legends, knowing it was a bad deal and that they would be canibalizing their other theaters. Even a Wichita company passed on the Legends. All of this in spite of the fact that KCK is practically financing the entire project. Anyway, KCK gets some unknown company to build the theater, yet they still haven't even started construction. Meanwhile Dickinson quietly builds an upscale theater in Overland Park with no public financing. This is really embarrassing for KCK. If or when KCK gets its theater, what will be the incentive for a JOCO person to visit it? They already have an upscale theater.

At this point I say we scrap the original idea for the Legends. I have an idea for a corporate woods style office park in that area.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

So far reasons why Legends is a failure in a nice easy to read list

1. Lackluster selection of stores
2. Uninspiring design
3. Way behind schedule
4. Movie theater not a unique experience
5. Too far from the population of the city
6. I got my hopes up, and they were squashed by the sheer mediocrity of everything that ever happens in Kansas City, Kansas
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I would think KCK would be ripe for a theater complex and it would be best put in the Legends. Are there any large theater complexes in KCK now? I seem to remember some out on State Avenue.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Hold on DMW before you call the theatre a failure. Word still is that the theatre complex will be "destination" and "unique" compared to anything in KC. I do believe they said they would have the largest screen in the metro.

They made a misstep in losing Warren. I believe the parting was mutual rather than Warren leaving them. They tried to get Muvico who build giant, themed megaplexes, but that didn't work out. The Pallazzo in OP is basically the future of theatres. All of them will start to be more "themed" with the experience of going to the theatre itself a bigger event than the movie. I'm not impressed with what I've seen of the Pallazzo and I think they can do better, but we'll see if the Wy Co complex is good or not.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

While it might be a little embarrassing to KS (especially considering you have the KS Cosmosphere, the Sedgwick Co. Zoo, and Exploration Place to name a few), aren't Cabella's, Nebraska Furniture Mart, and the KS Speedway the top attractions in the state ? If so, there is a lot of traffic going into that area. I think Legends will be fairly successful since it will have three large attractions bringing people to the area. It just needs to exist and it should do good business.

Will it be anything special to the KC area? Doubtful. It will be a nice revenue boost to Wyandotte Co. and will provide some amenities to folks who live out in that area. No different than Zona Rosa in the Northland. Its a nice place for the folks in the Northland, but doesn't add much special to the overall metro scene.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I personally don't get it. KCK is basically building that theater with STAR bond money. They just want a decent chain to bring the popcorn and the name brand and open a theater in an area of 150-200k residents of WY & LV counties that don't have a major megaplex.

And they still are having a hell of a time getting it done.

At the same time Palazo opens in OP where Ward Parkway and Olathe 30 have both shuttered a ton of screens and Great Mall 16 is hanging on by a a thread as they beg the mall for cheaper leases every year.

I believe Town Center 20 is pretty busy and I'm sure OP could support a new theater, but what is up with KCK?
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

My understanding was that the WY Co. gov't wanted some kind of unusual control over the theater operations. I was excited when Warren Theaters was the original group that was going in there. But he backed out due to unusualy demands the Co. gov't was making. That would have been the best scenario to have one of Bill Warrens theaters here. Whenever you're in Wichita you need to see a film at one of the three Warren Theaters in Wichita, its a completely different experience IMHO than what you get anywhere here in KC.