Email to Rick Rehorn KCK Mayor Candidate

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

This is an email I sent to Rick Rehorn, a candidate for the mayor of Kansas City, Kansas and the CEO of the Unified Government.

Rick Rehorn,

I am interested on your views for development in Kansas City, KS. This city has the oppurtunity to become a better urban place, or to become another sprawling suburb like Overland Park. We should aspire to be like St. Paul is to Minneapolis, or like Fort Worth is to Dallas, not like Overland Park. I will vote for a leader who is truly progressive and not for a leader who is trying to imitate a suburb when our city is so much more than that. Aside from the high taxes here in KCK I am seriously concerned with the state of downtown, the pitiful public transit system, the lack of significant retail in the 'urban core', and the lack of cultural amenities that could make our city a true tourist attraction.Thanks ahead of time for your response.

Anthony Gayden
Lifetime Kansas City, KS Resident
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
Brooksider
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Brooksider »

DMW, When is that election? I'm just curious. I went to grade school with Ricky for a couple of years when he lived in Lawrence. His Dad was our pastor, his Grandmother was my faraternities housemother, and his ex-wife is our veterinarian. I thought he was a great state legislater. I think he would make a great mayor. Let us know the reply you get.
Suburban Sprawl - Cut down all of the trees and name the streets after them.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

It took a while for a response from Rick Rehorn, but here goes.
Rick Rehorn wrote: Sorry I did not respond sooner and please feel free to call me at 233-1201.

As you may know, I live in and represent urban KCK. I live in Rosedale and also represent Armourdale and Polish Hill.

I do not want KCK to be Overland Park. However, I do believe we can match the economic prowess of our neighbor to the south and at the same time maintaining the ethnic and cultural diversity that makes our community unique and special.

I also have nothing against Piper becoming a prosperous suburb in part because the tax dollars generated will allow us to reduce taxes and increase services for the inner city.

I envision our inner city neighborhoods looking more like a Brookside or 39th Street - little pockets of commerce that not only attract outsiders to our historic neighborhoods but provide services for our residents that live there.

This can be accomplished in two ways.

First, most areas of our city are working on new master plans. This allows the neighborhoods to let the UG know how they want their community to look.

Two, a consistent tax policy. West of I-435 - no more tax breaks. The speedway and Village West were put there to foster secondary development.

East of I-635, we should provide whatever assistance we can to encourage retail and housing. Between I-635 and I-435 we should probably play it on a case-by-case basis.

Also, riverfront development, if feasible, would certainly help the inner city.

I hope this answers your questions.

Rick Rehorn

(913) 233-1201
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!