Transportation topics in KC
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by hartliss »

langosta wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:17 am
langosta wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:56 am
langosta wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:06 pm I am expecting the largest Southwest schedule ever at KCI to be announced tomorrow. Fingers crossed!
out now
WN is adding Burbank (daily) and Columbus (Sunday only).

MBJ is returning
RDU, PDX and SEA are now weekends instead of Saturday only.

Im not sure PDX and SEA have been flown by Southwest in a while. Those routes do not show on Route Connections as existing service and SWA.com does not show PDX and SEA as existing direct routes.
Solid adds! I think SEA was seasonal post-covid, not sure PDX ever came back after COVID. Pre-Covid both were year round if memory serves me correctly.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

hartliss wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:40 am
langosta wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:17 am
langosta wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:56 am

out now
WN is adding Burbank (daily) and Columbus (Sunday only).

MBJ is returning
RDU, PDX and SEA are now weekends instead of Saturday only.

Im not sure PDX and SEA have been flown by Southwest in a while. Those routes do not show on Route Connections as existing service and SWA.com does not show PDX and SEA as existing direct routes.
Solid adds! I think SEA was seasonal post-covid, not sure PDX ever came back after COVID. Pre-Covid both were year round if memory serves me correctly.
Portland and Seattle flew Saturday only this summer
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

FI added Pitt and Halifax today. Could be further new routes to come but I’m not sure we are even gunning for them. Wouldn’t be bad if we landed Icelandair.

Austin-San Antonio Metroplex lost Virgin Atlantic to London. That route will end permanently in January.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

langosta wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:38 pm FI added Pitt and Halifax today. Could be further new routes to come but I’m not sure we are even gunning for them. Wouldn’t be bad if we landed Icelandair.

Austin-San Antonio Metroplex lost Virgin Atlantic to London. That route will end permanently in January.
American cut AUS to MCI amid major service reductions in Austin. Route will end in February.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

What's going on in Austin causing the "major service reductions" there?
KC is the way to be!
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

AllThingsKC wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:21 pm What's going on in Austin causing the "major service reductions" there?
American Airlines ending their focus city. 21 Austin routes cut today.
DMNBT_RCJH
Pad site
Pad site

Post by DMNBT_RCJH »

langosta wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:28 pm
AllThingsKC wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:21 pm What's going on in Austin causing the "major service reductions" there?
American Airlines ending their focus city. 21 Austin routes cut today.
Going to be interesting to hear candid conversations (if they will ever happen) about the arms race in a very gate limited AUS airport that no doubt was a money pit for both AA and DL.

Wife and I booked tickets yesterday on AA to Austin leaving December 23 and returning on December 28 for 245 round trip a piece. That's the cheapest flight I've ever seen into that airport. We would regularly pay 650-800+ from RDU/GSO/CLT-AUS.

Disappointed to be losing that route, and, as a 10+ year AA Plat/Plat Pro member due to steady business travel, very confused by AA's route strategy not just on this route but more generally.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

^Another AA frequent flyer here (EXP 17 years) -- KC is my #1 destination market, and it's irritating to lose the layover opportunities in NYC and now Austin. KC used to be a Delta city, but AA had made a comeback and was the primary legacy carrier (US Airways designated KC as a focus city many moons ago, too).

I live in South Florida, so Delta is a nonstarter for me (everything goes through Atlanta). United is even worse -- connections in Dulles? No thank you.

But between the loss of the codeshares with JetBlue (they dominate the Florida-Northeast routes) and now these latest reductions, I worry about AA long-term. Hoping they re-allocate these Austin jets somewhere useful.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

like KC!
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

AA should use those extra planes at Miami or create some more point to point Caribbean routes from the Midwest. Would be nice to see a daily from to CUN instead of the Sat only.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

The Dutch Government has changed course on their previous restriction proposal for AMS, and their proposed 460,000 annual flight cap. This could provide another opportunity for TATL service for MCI, as AMS provides some of the best connectivity to ancillary markets in Europe. Link below:
https://x.com/schiphol/status/1724446528276721693?s=46
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:07 pm The Dutch Government has changed course on their previous restriction proposal for AMS, and their proposed 460,000 annual flight cap. This could provide another opportunity for TATL service for MCI, as AMS provides some of the best connectivity to ancillary markets in Europe. Link below:
https://x.com/schiphol/status/1724446528276721693?s=46
Schipol easily the best for me. Its just one big terminal and its got a good mix of amenities as opposed to a designer shopping mall, like LHR or CDG.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Schipol is great if your connecting, it's miserable if your are departing or arriving in AMS. It's severely understaffed. It can take an hour getting thru customs and even longer in summer.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:25 pm Schipol is great if your connecting, it's miserable if your are departing or arriving in AMS. It's severely understaffed. It can take an hour getting thru customs and even longer in summer.
It’s got fantastic connections to the city and region once through customs, though. I’m a huge fan of that simplicity
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Even though it was overkill, we arrived like 5 hours early for our flight out of Schipol last year. Lines were insane but once checked in the process really wasn't that bad. It's just a self-perpetuating problem, as others hear about the lines people start getting there earlier and earlier and people start just getting there as soon as you can check in.

Only flew out from AMS, but took the Thalys from Paris to Amsterdam which does have a stop in Schipol. You can board a Thalys direct at the airport and connect to a wide range of cities.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Schipol is just a super weird airport too. People just wondering around waiting to figure out where to go say every step.

It's not bad, but I don't love the design.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:22 pm Schipol is just a super weird airport too. People just wondering around waiting to figure out where to go say every step.

It's not bad, but I don't love the design.
Yeah, design and layout is lackluster, but they have great amenities, and their runway and gate capacity gives reason to hope the an MCI direct wouldn’t eat up a valuable space, as compared to LHR or even CDG.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:31 am
brewcrew1000 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:25 pm Schipol is great if your connecting, it's miserable if your are departing or arriving in AMS. It's severely understaffed. It can take an hour getting thru customs and even longer in summer.
It’s got fantastic connections to the city and region once through customs, though. I’m a huge fan of that simplicity
I agree, Brussels airport has a great set up also in terms of getting to other areas of Europe directly from the airport. I'm surprised more American Based airports don't look at Brussels for point to point flying, it's not as big of a cluster AMS has become
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:24 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:31 am
I agree, Brussels airport has a great set up also in terms of getting to other areas of Europe directly from the airport. I'm surprised more American Based airports don't look at Brussels for point to point flying, it's not as big of a cluster AMS has become
I think Brussels serves a pretty unique flight pattern. United flies Chicago, Newark, and DC to there and that sounds about right. Even assuming united had any presence here, that would be a weird ass flight to market 😂

I don't mind the airport though!
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I never understood why Rhine-Ruhr (Cologne, Dusseldorf, Essen, Bonn) region has barely, if any nonstops from the US? It's one of the most populated areas in all of Europe and it's a major business area, makes no sense to me.