Bond Bridge (formerly Paseo)

Transportation topics in KC
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Bond Bridge (formerly Paseo)

Post by dangerboy »

missingkc wrote:  My point was that I agree that the tops of the levees would make great path locations and don't think a properly maintained path would be a danger to the levee.  I don't think that the members of the levee authority really think it would be problem either.  I guess they don't have a shred of evidence to the contrary. 
It's an outdated mindset that is slowly changing.  New Riverside-Quindaro Bend Levee has a trail on top, and it's been a great example of how levee trails don't bring the end of the world.  On the south bank the Riverfront Trail will soon be extended east to Chouteau.  So there is some real progress on levee trails.
supastudio
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by supastudio »

Here are some time lapse vids for you:

"Architecture is to be experienced by moving through it rather than looking at it."
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Final pair of cables just went up on the south side.  Now just a "drawbridge" section to be plopped down and the void is crossed.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Bridge looks great from the Paseo Bridge (I crossed it last week returning to south KC from the airport) but the stretch of highway from the Paseo Bridge to the I-35/I-29 split and continuing on I-29 to 635 was in a pretty bad state of disrepair and is far too constricted for the traffic volume.  I hope the new bridge is adequately designed so it can accommodate more than two lanes in each direction. 
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Highlander wrote:  I hope the new bridge is adequately designed so it can accommodate more than two lanes in each direction.   
The bridge deck has room for eight lanes, all they have to do is restripe and narrow the shoulders. I-29 to I-635 is six lanes and never very congested.  The big constraint is the Downtown Loop.  It could never handle four lanes of southbound traffic coming off of the bridge.  A major, multi-million dollar reconfiguration of the Loop would be required before the new bridge could be restriped to eight lanes.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

dangerboy wrote: The bridge deck has room for eight lanes, all they have to do is restripe and narrow the shoulders. I-29 to I-635 is six lanes and never very congested.  The big constraint is the Downtown Loop.  It could never handle four lanes of southbound traffic coming off of the bridge.  A major, multi-million dollar reconfiguration of the Loop would be required before the new bridge could be restriped to eight lanes.
I-35 north of the Paseo Bridge to the I-29 split was very congested when I came through at about noon.  North of the split, I-29 traffic wasn't bad but the highway was in a state of disrepair.  A lot of KC roads were in disrepair when I was in town.   
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I-29 from the split to 635 is NOT 6 lanes.  It is 4 lanes until 169.  By the way there is a spectacular view of the new bridge from the Chouteau bridge bike lane.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The Bond Bridge now spans the Missouri River from bank to bank.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Highlander wrote: I-35 north of the Paseo Bridge to the I-29 split was very congested when I came through at about noon.  North of the split, I-29 traffic wasn't bad but the highway was in a state of disrepair.  A lot of KC roads were in disrepair when I was in town.   
Highlander - most of that "disrepair" is the construction associated with rebuilding the bridge approaches to match the six lanes on the bridge.  This is all part of the same general project (hence the name of the thread).  The stretch from the bridge on north had been built on a very narrow, raised berm that could barely fit the previous two lanes of traffic each direction.  The whole corridor had to be redone - new overpasses, new ramps, etc. 
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

New northbound  lanes open between Front St and about where the old Paseo ramp was. Is the width of the 3 future lanes but stiped for the present 2.  Major retaining wall being poured into the steep hill below the housing projects.  Paseo will have a proper right side entrance for a change.  Looks like the northbound 29/35 will be the first side to be routed across the new bridge, southbound will come a bit later.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Port Authority gets stimulus funds for new Front Street realignment.

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... tory7.html

There is no fifth destination.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote: Port Authority gets stimulus funds for new Front Street realignment.

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... tory7.html
this was originally part of the regional TIGER grant application, but didn't receive any funding when the winners were announced. does the rest of the article mention that? i'm not a subscriber...
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

No mention of the TIGER grant.
There is no fifth destination.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Does this mean that development can occur on either side of the new Front Street and the park will be accessed by what now becomes a dead end street? 
Does not seem conducive to getting people to use the park.
bones.25
Pad site
Pad site

Post by bones.25 »

The greatest thing that they could do is to somehow add a bike/running lane to the grand ave. bridge that goes from the river market to Berkley Park although it's currently not wide enough.  I can't tell you how many times I've seen people almost get hit.  I know you can take the Main Street path but it would be nice to have two ways to bike or run down there without getting hit by a car. 
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

bones.25 wrote: The greatest thing that they could do is to somehow add a bike/running lane to the grand ave. bridge that goes from the river market to Berkley Park although it's currently not wide enough. 
This is in the plans.  The original Grand Boulevard Viaduct was supposed to be two side-by-side structures with four lanes and a path.  Budget constraints in the 1990s meant that only one got built.  With Front Street being four-laned below the bluff, the next step will be add the second viaduct and the Port Authority has already said it will include a path.
bones.25
Pad site
Pad site

Post by bones.25 »

dangerboy wrote: This is in the plans.  The original Grand Boulevard Viaduct was supposed to be two side-by-side structures with four lanes and a path.  Budget constraints in the 1990s meant that only one got built.  With Front Street being four-laned below the bluff, the next step will be add the second viaduct and the Port Authority has already said it will include a path.
That is great news!  With the new front street construction and the bike path on the Grand street viaduct a lot more people in the downtown/River Market area will discover and utilize this hidden Gem aka Berkley Park that will be a beautiful area all the way to Isle of Capri.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

DaveKCMO wrote: this was originally part of the regional TIGER grant application, but didn't receive any funding when the winners were announced. does the rest of the article mention that? i'm not a subscriber...
This project ended up getting EECDBG (Energy Efficiency and Community Development Block Grant) stimulus funds, not any of the transportation stimulus funds.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Bridge dedication today.  Northbound Front St. exit to 29/35 to be routed onto new bridge.
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Kropf »

moderne wrote: Bridge dedication today.  Northbound Front St. exit to 29/35 to be routed onto new bridge.

Screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech!!!!!!!!!  (that was the sound of my tires as I peel out to try to be the first to cross the new bridge)

I wish I could, but I will be crossing that way tomorrow, hopefully on the new bridge!    =D>
On to the Next One