Re: Bond Bridge (formerly Paseo)

Post by mykem »

The video has been removed...
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Amazing how much the new St. Louis I-70 bridge looks like the Bond Bridge.  But with 2 slightly taller & narrower (400 foot) towers.  The road deck is narrower, 4 lanes expandable to 6.  Will be the third longest cable stay bridge in US.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

moderne wrote: Amazing how much the new St. Louis I-70 bridge looks like the Bond Bridge.  But with 2 slightly taller & narrower (400 foot) towers.  The road deck is narrower, 4 lanes expandable to 6.  Will be the third longest cable stay bridge in US.
Somehow I'm not surprised.

KC = 4th largest road system of any American city
..Probably also has the least amount of funding per mile.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

moderne wrote: Amazing how much the new St. Louis I-70 bridge looks like the Bond Bridge.  But with 2 slightly taller & narrower (400 foot) towers.  The road deck is narrower, 4 lanes expandable to 6.  Will be the third longest cable stay bridge in US.
Yeah, they are suppose to prep the area next to the bridge so they can build a twin next to it in the future. Prime example of what happens when you wait too long, you get something over priced, and half assed!
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Going north as a passenger, I notice that almost all the steel for the north span from the tower to the levee has been laid out on temporary supports.  Guess this means that come spring cable will be strechted quickly while the south span goes more slowly over the main channel.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

And how much the Bond bridge looks like several other new bridges.  The STL bridge got downsized because Illinois wouldn't let MoDOT put tolls on it to help pay for it.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

There aren't many cable stay bridges west of the Mississippi.  In addition to the new one for St Louis there are 2 going up across the Mississippi in Arkansas.  Is interesting that the design was developed in post WWII Europe as a cheaper and quicker way to replace bombed out bridges.  The Bond Bridge tower is looking like a good place to put another Sky Station on top.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Will there be a crotch topping ceremony as the legs meet?
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

kcicon staff say there will be a ceremony, but they don't have a date yet and it's likely to be short notice.

modot is on track to dedicate the new bridge on july 1, 2011.  they anticipate having one lane of traffic -- northbound on-ramp traffic -- operating on the new bridge by november.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

It is going to be quite a sight when they start raising cables.  I am glad they did not go with a 2 pier-2 tower design, which would have been less impressive than this.  It is going to resemble a huge pyramid from a distance.
ThaMexican
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ThaMexican »

This will be a cool bridge to see from far away hopefully it will add some amazing views with KC DT in the background.
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

final concrete pour on the kcicon bridge pylon took place last friday, march 5, according to modot project staff. forms and tarp will be removed this week.  no word about a ceremony.
March 08, 2010

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - This week, the pylon for the Christopher S. Bond Missouri River bridge will be finished. The final concrete pour for the last section of the delta-shaped pylon took place Friday, March 5, 2010. The concrete has cured and the forms will be removed this week, along with the black tarps protecting the cure from cold weather. The finished pylon will soon be visible.

"This new, 316-foot-tall, cable-stay bridge will dramatically change Kansas City's skyline for the next century," said kcICON Project Director Brian Kidwell. "The pylon is already visible from a variety of vantage points throughout the city, and completing it definitely marks a construction milestone."

Bridge construction is quickly moving forward as crews continue to build the deck and prepare to install the first of 40 stay cables. "This will be the busiest construction season to date on the project," said Kidwell. "We appreciate the public's patience while we work toward our July 2011 ribbon-cutting."

The $245 million kcICON project will reconstruct/rehabilitate 4.7 miles of Interstate 29/35 from just north of Route 210/Armour Road in North Kansas City into the northeast corner of the downtown Kansas City, Mo. freeway loop. The project includes improving outdated interchanges and the construction of the Christopher S. Bond Bridge - a new landmark, cable-stay Missouri River Bridge.

Additional information is available on the project's Web site: www.kcicon.com or on facebook "kcICON Project.
Last edited by enough on Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

Taken in the early evening on July 13, 2005.

Taken around 11am on April 11, 2009.

Taken in the early evening on October 18, 2009.

Taken around 9pm on October 31, 2009

There's nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot.   Harry Callahan

For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.  Hunter S. Thompson
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

great pics!!! 8)
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Love the reflections in the water!  Hope you get some shots when the new bridge is completed before the old one is torn down.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

moderne wrote: Love the reflections in the water!  Hope you get some shots when the new bridge is completed before the old one is torn down.
I'm about due for another set of shots on the bridge and will be getting pics for another year or two.

The shots that "look" like I was down in the work area got me into a little spot of trouble, but I did give KC Icon permission to use the shots. Don't know if they actually did or not, but while we we're on the topic of this particular bridge I did ask for an invite to the opening. Didn't get a reply back on that question.

I like the design, but am not overly enthused like some folks because...

1. There's another one just like it on the other side of the state with the exact same name. I think they should name K.C.'s version "The Bond Hubris Bridge".
2. http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/sunsh ... teresting/
There's nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot.   Harry Callahan

For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.  Hunter S. Thompson
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

Anybody know the depth of the Missouri river?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The Corps maintains a 7 foot navigation channel.  I am sure the river is much deeper than that now as it seems to have risen quite a bit since last week.
The braces holding the bridge pylon legs apart have been removed.  It almost looks flimsy without them.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The first 4 (innermost) cables have been attached to the pylon and road deck.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

Taken last night.