OFFICIAL - Hotel President construction

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: OFFICIAL - Hotel President construction

Post by KC Kropf »

voltopt wrote: they could really get better tables for the drum room, those are folding tables and its pretty obvious too.

Those tables are only temporary.  They have their nice tables on order as well as all of the table for the larger room off to the East.  They are simply working w/ what they have until they finish the other room.  Will be a better spot once it is all done and the live music starts.
On to the Next One
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

i agree, and tried to tell my friends that.
they still weren't impressed.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Kropf »

I see where you are coming from... I brought a group of about 7 of us there last Friday... We went on sort of a mini downtown pub crawl... It was great for a one drink and move on spot, and I think they liked the place... And they for sure don't cheat you on the drinks.... Some of my friends asked for more mixer about half way through their drinks...
On to the Next One
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

personally, i want it to succeed... and i'll be back... hopefullly they'll have a tap and a little better atmosphere...
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I asked Hilary(a cutie, btw) behind the bar if there were plans to install beer taps, and she seemed to think there were not.

She was just a bartender, though, so her words were far from authoritative. I sure hope they get beer on tap. They could really get creative with it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I was told the area to the east was going to be a restaurant not more bar....but maybe still live music there?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

So, the Drum Room ends up being a bit of a disappointment, with the drum bar gone and the size diminished.  We'll see if more is made of it.  In the scheme of things, I'm not terribly upset if the Drum Room is just a hotel bar.  We got much more from the President Hotel than that.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Plus, the place on the Baltimore side of the Muehlebach(sp?) looks like it'll be a lot nicer.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

from the city website, looks like the hotel is applying for a 3am license...good sign for them staying open later as business grows.

voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

ha! it will be good if they can secure that liscense...  damn..
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: from the city website, looks like the hotel is applying for a 3am license...good sign for them staying open later as business grows.
All the hotels hold 3AM licenses.  It is so they can charge $400 a head for their new years eve package.  They wind up not getting used 364 nights a year.  I would not hold my breath waiting for the Pres./Drum room to be any different. 
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: All the hotels hold 3AM licenses.  It is so they can charge $400 a head for their new years eve package.  They wind up not getting used 364 nights a year.  I would not hold my breath waiting for the Pres./Drum room to be any different. 
no, actually it is so they can do catering. weddings, reunions, bar mitzvahs, ethnic weddings that start at sundown, these things all require needing to serve booze all hours of the night.

staubio wrote: So, the Drum Room ends up being a bit of a disappointment, with the drum bar gone and the size diminished. We'll see if more is made of it. In the scheme of things, I'm not terribly upset if the Drum Room is just a hotel bar. We got much more from the President Hotel than that.
well, truth be told, when i went in the drum room in the late 70's with dad, it was not that big. so, seeing pictures of how it used to be makes me believe it is smaller, but not drastically. and the standards of older lobbies are not what they are now. much smaller back then. but, for everyone citing the drum room as a dissapointment, from what chris tells me, the hotels executive chef that i worked with at hyatt, they are nowhere near ready on the drum room, furniture, menu, overall appointments, so, be patient, in time it will be nice. the owners of the president in all the star pieces told us they were not ready to open, so be patient.

give it time.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kcdcchef wrote: no, actually it is so they can do catering. weddings, reunions, bar mitzvahs, ethnic weddings that start at sundown, these things all require needing to serve booze all hours of the night.
Ok my bad, New Years plus ethnic weddings at sundown.  :D Regardless my point was to let folks know that the hotel isn't likely pursuing this 3AM license with the idea of turning the Drum Room into a year-round 3AM club.  There are other business reasons why hotels get those licenses. 
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Ok my bad, New Years plus ethnic weddings at sundown.   :D Regardless my point was to let folks know that the hotel isn't likely pursuing this 3AM license with the idea of turning the Drum Room into a year-round 3AM club.  There are other business reasons why hotels get those licenses. 
well, not just ethnic weddings lenex, ALL catering. you have been to banquets no doubt. the fun is after the speakers are done, and well after dinner, when the bars open up, and everyone starts dancing really poorly. but, catering is the main reason, make no mistake about it. but, hotels do oft give us great examples of places that make us forget they are hotel restaurants, skies, peppercorn duck club, bentons, the raphael, the savoy, i think the president will join them, or, the drum room. we have to be careful to give it time.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

my bad...didn't know that about hotels....every liquor event I had been to shut down before 1:30

Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

kcdcchef wrote:
well, truth be told, when i went in the drum room in the late 70's with dad, it was not that big. so, seeing pictures of how it used to be makes me believe it is smaller, but not drastically.

Photos can be deceiving.  The room is probably the same size.  Why would they make it smaller on purpose?  You'd think if they were going to move any walls they would have made it bigger.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

went to the walnut room for dinner last night: very good meal, well above average for hotel restaurants in KC. it even exceeded our overpriced meal at city tavern from the night before. not crowded at all, so an excellent choice if you decided to eat out at the last minute.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

went to the walnut room (again) and the server told us that the dinner there will end and move into the drum room in may, with a new menu. the walnut room will continue as breakfast and lunch only.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Beautiful building.  Was in there for drinks a couple weekends ago.  Should do well when P&L is running.  Food dishes people were eating looked really good too.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

DaveKCMO wrote: went to the walnut room (again) and the server told us that the dinner there will end and move into the drum room in may, with a new menu. the walnut room will continue as breakfast and lunch only.
Wow.  That didn't last long.