Metro KC trail system map available, order one online, FREE!

Transportation topics in KC
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Metro KC trail system map available, order one online, F

Post by staubio »

I got mine last week. Pretty cool. It includes all trails that are planned for completion through next year and all existing trail, metro-wide.
cdschofield
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cdschofield »

I wish they would connect the Trolley Track Trail with the Indian Creek Trail, there's only 15 more blocks to go. A continuous walking/biking trail from the Plaza to Olathe.
Brooksider
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Brooksider »

I think that is in the plans but I don't know a time line on it.
Suburban Sprawl - Cut down all of the trees and name the streets after them.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

cdschofield wrote:I wish they would connect the Trolley Track Trail with the Indian Creek Trail, there's only 15 more blocks to go. A continuous walking/biking trail from the Plaza to Olathe.
For now the plan is to connect those two via on-road bike routes. The KCATA owns the Trolley Track Trail and doesn't have any more right of way beyond the current trail.

I wish Jackson County would get on board with trail building. It would be a great addition to the already excellent county parks system. Not only are they the biggest county in the metro, but also the only one without a county-wide trail plan.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

dangerboy wrote:
cdschofield wrote:I wish they would connect the Trolley Track Trail with the Indian Creek Trail, there's only 15 more blocks to go. A continuous walking/biking trail from the Plaza to Olathe.
For now the plan is to connect those two via on-road bike routes. The KCATA owns the Trolley Track Trail and doesn't have any more right of way beyond the current trail.

I wish Jackson County would get on board with trail building. It would be a great addition to the already excellent county parks system. Not only are they the biggest county in the metro, but also the only one without a county-wide trail plan.
Jackson County has a pretty strong presence in off-road trials, but those are built by Earthriders volunteers. There are plans for a lot of work extending north of Minor Park along the Blue River Greenway, which would be cool.

I suspect that Indian Creek could join up with Trolley by using a section of Holmes to connect the two. That is the route I take. I rode out to the Blue River Parkway trails on Tuesday and it looks like there is trailwork going on at Holmes on Indian Creek. It is a double-back of sorts, but I think most people aren't comfortable with trying to take Wornall from 85th St. There isn't a graceful way to cut through neighborhoods, so I think a lot of people are stranded.

Of course, Blue River Road is right across the bridge from the end of the Trolley Track and it is a nice ride if you want to extend into south JocCo. You can ride down to Blue Ridge and take that right into the fresh sprawl on State Line.

I've tried pretty much every route in the book, so if anyone wants some pointers, let me know.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

The offroad trails are mostly all volunteer. I'm talking about a county-wide program with dedicated funding. Clay, Platte, and Johnson Counties already have this. Jackson County has the best park system in the region, but they are lagging way behind on multi-use trails.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

I know this has been posted elsewhere, but it's worth checking out to see what is being planned so far.

http://www.kcmo.org/pubworks.nsf/web/kc ... endocument
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I got the map, one thing that really stands out is that KCK is blank, I mean they have almost nothing even planned. I found that interesting.

Also, much of the map says there are existing bike routes on city streets, especially in urban KCMO.

There is more to making a street a bike route than just calling it a bike route and many of the routes on the map do not have markings or even signs for bikes, let alone bike facilities like bike locks, benches etc.

Although, there were two bikes locked to bike locks on the sidewalk in front of the Downtown Library yesterday. That's the first time I have seen those even used anywhere in KC.

Just my opinion.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

GRID wrote:I got the map, one thing that really stands out is that KCK is blank, I mean they have almost nothing even planned. I found that interesting.

Also, much of the map says there are existing bike routes on city streets, especially in urban KCMO.

There is more to making a street a bike route than just calling it a bike route and many of the routes on the map do not have markings or even signs for bikes, let alone bike facilities like bike locks, benches etc.

Just my opinion.
BikeKC will be adding "Share the Road" and "Bike Route" signage on the designated on-road bike routes. It will also be remediating hazards like storm grates on these routes.

There was some big hold-up getting the federal grant money that is paying for most of this work, but they are supposed to have it now. Some sortof kick-off event is being planned for this month.

In the future, new roads and significantly reconstucted roads are supposed to have bike facilities. Depending on the situation, this could include wide outside lanes, wide shoulders, or separate bike lanes. Developers are also supposed to include things like bike racks and bike lockers in new projects, especially if they get tax subsidies.