Sprawling south: New 71 Hwy intersection

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

New $9 million intersection at 185th Street and US 71 Hwy. MoDOT is paying half, even though it has plenty of existing roads that need the money. This project isn't needed to relieve congestion, it's simply to open up more land for development.

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... aily6.html
cdschofield
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cdschofield »

This project isn't needed to relieve congestion, it's simply to open up more land for development.
Tell that to the people sitting in a line of cars at the Belton exit spilling out onto 71 Hwy.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Cool, so if it's in the KCMO city limits, I hope Shoal Creek developments sprout up there...
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

KCDevin wrote:Cool, so if it's in the KCMO city limits, I hope Shoal Creek developments sprout up there...
Cool?

Devin, are you just salivating over larger numbers at any cost? All the suburban development you can handle. How about we sprawl to St. Jo and take over so we can finally clear that elusive 2 million mark in just contiguous area?
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Hey, we need to grow as much as we can, we CANNOT limit ourselves to our urban core... Do you want 100-200 square miles of uninhabited land (or land with less than 500 ppsm) in the KCMO city limits???

Who gives a crap if it is projects like shoal creek... It's something called infill... The urban core is not the only place that needs it...
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

It's not something called infill. Infill = filling in undeveloped holes that are surrounded by development. You are talking about sprawl. And at any rate, no, that is not within the KCMO city limits.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Hey, just because I don't care about southern KC doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about... Hehe...

I figured this was closer to Swope Park, then I remembered he said it was 180th terrace so I realized it wasn't in the city limits... However I'd support a project like this if it was in the city limits of KCMO.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

As far as traffic concerns goes, route 58 & 71 is way over capacity, especially during rush hours and Modot plans to add a third lane on 71 to 58 soon which will make the interchange worse.

Having said that, there is soooo much underused or even vacant land all along 71 from Belton all the way to Downtown.

But that's just not how things work when Raymore and Belton and Cass County have there own agendas that are the same as Grandview, SKC etc.

Politics. So we get a new interchange at 185th while 155th is still a freaking country road and Route 150 still waits to be widened east of 71.

Oh and Devin, your stats are not realistic.