MIZZOU RAH! Is it football season yet?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I was just talking about the "bad" bowl games...lower tiered ones...not bad losses.

Attacking a school's academic credibility does not limit it to one sport...nobody is without sin in that respect around here. we're all public universities, not the freaking ivy league.

Manhattan I think is the perfect college town. Small, dependent on the school, far enough way from a big city....go to school, hit the bars, what else should a college town possess?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

A College town should possess other recreational activities besides going to bars and partying for those who don't like to party. A good community is also necessary for a college town to survive. I heard that Manhattan's population is sliced in half once college is out. I guess I am not a big fan of agricultural towns in the middle of nowhere, an occasional slip into STL or KC from Columbia was nice for a change. At least you are not stuck in the middle of nowhere.

About the JUCO comments, K-State is notorious for recruiting JUCO athletes. Which is fine but I think it undermines credibility when you are trying to boost your team's elite reputation. Why else would anyone go to JUCO if they couldn't qualify academically for an actual NCAA school? For the atmosphere? Student Activities? I think not.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Manhattan is only 2 hours from KC just like Columbia, so it's a quick slip in....being in Lawrence would be too close to KC for me.

There is actually enough other stuff to do in Manhattan....Tuttle is right there for lake activities, it's the hilliest portion of KS for some small rock climbing and there are more and more cultural activies finding their way to the little apple.

But when I was in college, all I needed was my friends, bars, and classes (in that order)

bringing in jucos to help out the team does not hurt our national perception...I actually think we get plenty of respect. I think you are really grasping at this. Just get better and quit worrying about how the previous worst team in college football is going to beat you again this year. =D>

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

(MU fans paying attention to a school besides KU? ) :shock:
hartliss wrote: I guess I am not a big fan of agricultural towns in the middle of nowhere, an occasional slip into STL or KC from Columbia was nice for a change. At least you are not stuck in the middle of nowhere.
^^^ Coming from an MU person...you are KILLING me... :lol: :lol: :lol:
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

columbia is not an ag town in the middle of nowhere.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Sometimes I forget Columbia is the cultural epicenter of the midwest, LOL.

Afterall, the town does offer some of the best billboard counting on any stretch of highway in America, Ozarkland and the world of walnut bowls.

You guys kill me.

Manhattan and Aggieville make for one of the best college atmospheres in Big XII. The Sporting News just ranked the it the 54th top sports city in America, 3rd in the Big XII only behing Austin and Norman. Yeah, it's a small, laid back college town, but if you think there's nothing to do, you've never spent any time there. Believe it or not middle Missouri isn't all that much different than the Flint Hills when it comes to scenery. Columbia aint Boulder, trust me.

http://stlouis.about.com/gi/dynamic/off ... 3FGT1=4550
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

I am really not going to argue with anyone who claims that Manhattan is equally superiour to Columbia in terms of activities offered. K-State is in the middle of nowhere, Columbia rests on the bank of the Missouri River and is constantly rated one of the best places to live.

TK, what are you talking about, MU is 1.5 hrs from either STL or KC. K-State is light years away from any civilization.

Columbia has a hell of a lot more culture than Manhattan. Sure it might not be a Boulder or Lawrence but it is certainly has more to offer than the 'little apple'.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

it's the same distance (by like 10 minutes) for KC -> Manhattan and KC -> Columbia but one is in the middle of nowhere? I'm confused.

It's a damn college town, not where I'm going to live after college....the university supplies plenty of orchestra, plays, art if needed...the city doesn't need to provide that. Manhattan has a lot to do indoors and outdoors.

You guys are getting a little too hung up on this....go to class, drink a beer, find a coed, rinse, repeat. It's college.

hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

Anyways one last comment before I am sigining off from this topic:
Taken from collegefootballnews.com

The ten schools have the easiest non-conference schedules ...

2004's Easiest Non-Conference Schedule
Auburn (108.33)
UL Monroe, The Citadel, Louisiana Tech

2. Kansas State (90.67)
3. Connecticut (90.43)
4. Alabama (89.25)
5. Illinois (88)
6. Missouri (87.88)
7. Mississippi State (87.58)
8. Hawaii (86.19)
9. UTEP (79.13)
10. LSU (78.17)
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Hartliss:

My wife is from St. Louis, my sister in law plays soccer for William Woods in Fulton. I make the drive all the time, it's 2 hours from both KC and St. Louis. Map quest it if you don't believe us.

I've spent plenty of time in Columbia, it's a fine college town, however you're not going to convince me it's San Antonio. As far as being on the bank of the Missouri, there's a bluff about 10 miles out that makes for a scenic overlook of some nice floodplains and probably some good catfish noodling. I don't know what you're talking about on that one.

Serious question, have you been to either Columbia or Manhattan?
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

M. Cat,

I used to live in Lake Lotawana, so my drive to Columbia is shorter than a drive to Manhattan.

Yes I have been to both, I just graduated from MU. I went to K-State last year for the game. I was exagerrating the comment that it rests on the banks of the Missouri River.

I am retired from arguing sports on this board, there are not enough MU grads on this board to help the cause. This board is filled with Hawkers and Cat Backers and local colleges. So no matter what I say, it really doesn't go anywhere. I am just glad I moved to Denver, away from the biased media (KU basketball, K-State football), and all of the STL fans from Columbia. I will end on this note: It is hard being a MU alumni from the KC area, not only do you have to compete with KU and K-state, just when you think you are safe in Columbia you have to bicker with the STL fans.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

hartliss wrote:Anyways one last comment before I am sigining off from this topic:
Taken from collegefootballnews.com

The ten schools have the easiest non-conference schedules ...

2004's Easiest Non-Conference Schedule
Auburn (108.33)
UL Monroe, The Citadel, Louisiana Tech

2. Kansas State (90.67)
3. Connecticut (90.43)
4. Alabama (89.25)
5. Illinois (88)
6. Missouri (87.88)
7. Mississippi State (87.58)
8. Hawaii (86.19)
9. UTEP (79.13)
10. LSU (78.17)
ranking of non-con schedules is really irrelevant. You play an entire schedule. Why teams would beat themselves up in the non-con is beyond me. It serves no purpose. As a fan it would be more fun to watch KSU/USC every year but for success of the team, it's not smart. MU learned finally.

There are plenty of MU fans on here, they just know what battles to pick...this isn't one of them.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

hartliss wrote:This board is filled with Hawkers and Cat Backers and local colleges. So no matter what I say, it really doesn't go anywhere.
^^ Is this a joke? There are exactly two (count 'em) KU fans and I'm one of them.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCPowercat wrote:ranking of non-con schedules is really irrelevant.
To KSU fans, I guess.
You play an entire schedule.
KSU doesn't.
Why teams would beat themselves up in the non-con is beyond me.
B/c it increases your BCS "s.o.s." component.
It serves no purpose.
Other than boosting your BCS composite score.
As a fan it would be more fun to watch KSU/USC every year
Fans should matter, but apparently do not at KSU. Only Bill Snyder matters.
but for success of the team, it's not smart.
If your team was really a top-10 team, it wouldn't really matter who they played now would it?
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Ahhhh where to start, pittsburghparoyal.

I'll try to make this simple.

The Big XII Championship trophy resides in Manhattan, Kansas.

Any more questions??????????
Last edited by MidtownCat on Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Hey, KcPowercat:

I just saw your post from earlier. K-State architecture grad in 2000.

How bout yourself?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

[quote=""pittsburghparoyal"]
Why teams would beat themselves up in the non-con is beyond me.
B/c it increases your BCS "s.o.s." component.[/quote]

We can tell you are a KU fan. SOS is no longer a component of the BCS. http://www.bcsfootball.org/news.cfm?headline=40
It serves no purpose.
Other than boosting your BCS composite score.
Answered above.
but for success of the team, it's not smart.
If your team was really a top-10 team, it wouldn't really matter who they played now would it?[/quote]

KSU had the #10 ranked schedule last year. Beating the "best team in the country" OU by a pretty wide margin.

You guys need a new argument....the complaining about 3 games at the beginning of our schedule isn't working.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

MidtownCat wrote:Hey, KcPowercat:

I just saw your post from earlier. K-State architecture grad in 2000.

How bout yourself?
Check your private messages above. I sent you one.

Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

MidtownCat wrote:Ahhhh where to start, pittsburghparoyal.

I'll try to make this simple.

The Big XII Championship trophy resides in Manhattan, Kansas.

Any more questions??????????
That may very well be. But that's not the topic at hand.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCPowercat wrote:[

We can tell you are a KU fan. SOS is no longer a component of the BCS. http://www.bcsfootball.org/news.cfm?headline=40
1. That doesn't work for the past 6 years when it was.
2. If the computer rankings are kept, don't they incorporate SOS in some fashion? Surely, they have to. I thoguth they got rid of margin?
KSU had the #10 ranked schedule last year.
Good schedule last year. What were the prior 10 years tho? And it won't be top 10 this year.
Beating the "best team in the country" OU by a pretty wide margin.
LSU might disagree with that statement.

You guys need a new argument....the complaining about 3 games at the beginning of our schedule isn't working.
1. "You guys" encompasses nationwide media and general college football fan's image.

2. What is it meant to "work" on anyway? I'll give KSU credit. They're a perennial top-20 team. Congrats. but their non-con is a joke.