MIZZOU RAH! Is it football season yet?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Computer rankings might have some sort of SOS, no doubt, but not as heavy as it was.

Previous years are varied....we have played the likes of USC, Cal, & Iowa in the non-con.

the best team comment was in quotes for a reason...at that time everybody thought KSU didn't have a chance, including you I'm willing to bet.

Actually nationwide, the media has been about right on with KSU. Not too much credit before it's due. A lot more now that they could actually get over the next hump of beating a quality team in a big game. Image of college football fans I care little about. I'm a fan of the team no matter what, I don't need Joe Smith from Tennessee's ok that KSU is a solid team.

although you are right, the preseason polls still underrate KSU every year: http://preseason.stassen.com/over-under/teams.html

Final Rankings (03-93): 14, 7, NR, 9, 6, 10, 8, 17, 7, 19, 20....averages out to a 13 and that's including the first years we were coming out of being the worst program of all time in college football.

I know it eats the other local programs up, it's OK, we're used to your jealousy.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCPowercat wrote:Previous years are varied....we have played the likes of USC, Cal, & Iowa in the non-con..
Powwwwwwerrrrrrrrr......telllllll theeeeeeee trrrrrrrrruth now.......
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I've never hide the fact that 3 games at the beginning of the year are weak. What the haters hide is we have played some quality oponents and hear nothing about that, or the fact that we play 8 tough games in conference every year. No concentrate on those 3 games. I wouldn't want to look at that streak against what was once the worst team in football either.

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

MidtownCat wrote:Sounds great.

Just in case you haven't been keeping track, Kay State has beaten the Tigs by an average of over three touchdowns a game and rolled out three shutouts over the course of the last 11 year win streak.

The Big XII Champs might have a thing or two to say about that 1 point win.
Truly impressive is Kay State's little winning streak. However, the fuskers came into columbia feeling all jiggy looking to continue their own 23 year winning streak against MU....and looked what happened to their sorry arses. And historically, the Fuskers have been many times the team national titleLESS Kay State has been. Something tells me the Tigers might just have what it takes to tame the Purple Pussies this year.

MU has talent.....they are not some bottom feeder like Baylor or IOWA! State.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

nobody said they were a bottom feeder???
And historically, the Fuskers have been many times the team national titleLESS Kay State has been.
Ahh, hello pot, I'm kettle, we're black.

I'll be in Farout field again this year...I expect nothing but the same ass kicking :D

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

maybe so, but at least youll have another glimpse at an awesome college town. :lol:
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KCPowercat wrote:nobody said they were a bottom feeder???
and i never said MU was going to win by 1 pt
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I meant MU fans kicking old lady KSU fans asses, MU fans are the worst. (just kidding, pushing a stereotype)

Real college town? :roll: I still have yet to find the Columbia bar district

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KCPowercat wrote:I meant MU fans kicking old lady KSU fans asses, MU fans are the worst. (just kidding, pushing a stereotype)
???? that must be a stereotype only found held by those from kay state....i've no idea what you are referencing.????
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

whatever.

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KCPowercat wrote:whatever.
seriously

please explain
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

haha really?

there are at least 5 bars on 9th st alone, and that many on Broadway near 9th street, and lots right off 9th on cherry or locust. i bet there are a minumum of 15 or 20 bars in a 10 block area.

like any great college town, columbia's downtown is chockful of bars and restaurants on every block. downtown ITSELF is the bar district. it's even called "The District."

but surely youre not suggesting that a bar district is the only thing that makes a college town? liberalism, relative diversity, great restaurants, daytime street life, hippies, a great local AND indie/bigtime music scene, etc.

8)
Last edited by chrizow on Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'll admit, I've never looked....always left after the game.

Dan...I've heard more stories about MU fans throwing bottles, batteries, etc. than any other school. I've never had a problem except people yelling at me for wearing purple...no biggie. Oh I think Truman hit me once...with that funky smelling costume he wears. :D

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KCPowercat wrote:Dan...I've heard more stories about MU fans throwing bottles, batteries, etc. than any other school. I've never had a problem except people yelling at me for wearing purple...no biggie. Oh I think Truman hit me once...with that funky smelling costume he wears. :D
the only story that i've ever heard like that was one out of lawrence where ku students threw batteries at mu fans.

then, they went out and slashed Husker Fan's tires after that game

i don't recall any such stories involving MU fans

but, i can see how po' little kay state fan would like to play 'the victim'
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

actually I've never heard these stories from KSU fans.

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KCPowercat wrote:actually I've never heard these stories from KSU fans.
:lol: THERE YA' GO! :lol:
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

I hate these long days!

Hartliss- IO know you have retired, but first, I expect an apology to all of the 20,000 idiots attending JCCC, plus the populations of Maple Woods, Longview, KCKCC, Peen Valley, and all the other JuCo;s in the city. I know you believe that no one who goes to those schools could possibly be literate, or they would have attended a four year school, but I'm sure some of them can read!

Seriously, that JuCo argument (along with the schedule) is one of the farthest off base. Some kids go to JuCo because they had low test scores. Others go to work on their game. K-State is sitting in the middle of the richest JuCo recruiting are in the nation- it would be pure incompetence not to use it.

Second, Missouri has had plenty of legal problems itself. Clemons is not the only one.

And, could you please let us know exactly what Columbia has to offer outside the university?

PA- SOS has never kept us out of a bowl game- $o$ has. In 98, we finished 3rd in the BCS standings. If we had beat A&M we would have finished 1st. We were passed up by the bowls because there are more people in Florida than in Kansas, plain and simple.

Where do people get the idea that a non-con game in September is more important than a game against a conference power in November? Why play the regular season? We may as well play the non-con, since the conference is irrelevent, and then play the bowls in October! Your arguments, though they may make you feel better about having your butts handed to you every year, just have no chance to stand up to reason.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

There are plenty of MU fans on here, they just know what battles to pick...this isn't one of them.

Hmmm, do you mean STL Dan, Chrizow and myself. That is plenty compared to K-Stater's and Hawkers.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

dude, columbia is freakin' awesome.

restaurants/food: everywhere and GREAT and pretty diverse. Thai, vegetarian/organic, mexican (5 places), chinese (4), subs (5), great pizza (3), italian (4), meditteranean (3), diners (3), american/eclectic bistros (10+), brewpubs (2), coffeeshops (at least 6), etc - all just downtown. this is in addition to the usual chain culprits (and many many more unique places) elsewhere in town. we also have more than one great winery nearby and many specialty grocery stores (middle eastern, asian, organic, gourmet, etc.) - also downtown.

nightlife: bars/clubs for all tastes from the indie rocker (mojo's, blue note, shattered, the ranch) to the frat-tastic (harpo's, tonic, shiloh, fieldhouse, tp's, willie's, big 12, and at least a dozen more) and plenty of places for yuppies and older folk to drink and converse (tellers, the artisan, cherry st. wine cellar, and on and on.) - -all downtown as well ----- we also have at least 2 nice gay bars. surprisingly great nightlife. we also have a great comedy club (deja vu) that hosts national comedians (if they come to KC or STL, they also come to COMO) and the missouri theatre hosts lots of comedians as well (margaret cho in 2 weeks!). we also have a great not-for-profit art-house movie theatre (ragtag) that brings in great independent and foreign films (and hosts music and speakers and other events too).

music scene: lawrence wins in this area, but columbia has a great local music scene as well as gets cool touring acts. just this year we're hosting the pixies, sonic youth, wilco, alicia keys, herbie hancock, ani difranco, ryan adams, and literally dozens of other awesome artists. not to mention columbia has a surprsingly good symphony, community band, choir, and many many many ethnic dance/music ensembles.

community: the city offers a great quality of life, from great street fairs and support for the arts to great bike trails and a state of the art recreational center. the city's Twilight Festival every thursday in June and Sept. is a great way to see what columbia has to offer. thousands of columbians (and their families) pack the streets and interact with bands, street vendors, dancers, political workers/activists, and other fun things. the roads are about 10x better than KC's, the sidewalks are maintained, police are good, etc. columbia is a great city. we also have many small and great farmer's markets and an organic/local co-op store to bring in healthy great food AND help out regional farmers. CoMo has fantastic and very well-funded schools too.

aesthetics: columbia is also very attractive. downtown is quite historic (and large), featuring several brick streets and late 19th cent. architecture. columbia is also leafy, hilly, and clean.

attitude: columbia has that great college town attitude. laid back, friendly, tolerant, relatively diverse, and a heaping helping of eclectic liberalism. Boone County passed amendment 2 with 54% of the vote. it passed, sure, but this was during the summer when no students were in town, and most of the county is rural. great place to live.

i could go on and on. hopefully this gives you a taste, phxcat.

FURTHERMORE, if this is any indication how much CoMo has to offer aside from the U (and the U adds SOOO much to the above), i am actually considering living here after i graduate vs. KC or STL. i doubt many people say that about their college towns.
Last edited by chrizow on Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

This non-conference argument is a trip.

But, I guess when you're the fan of a team that hasn't accomplished anything of any consequence since the 1960's except for some pre-season hype in a magazine, this is about all you can rely on.

It is quite hilarious that for all the flack some of you give K-State, how ironic is it that Pinkle has carbon copied the method Snyder used to build our program. Why the hypocrisy?

And just to clear the confusion for those that don't regularly follow college football: The BCS calculation doesn't include a strength of schedule in it's component any longer. So, go ahead and toss that one out of your repertoire, payroll.

The day Missouri wins a division title, takes home a Big XII trophy, plays in a BCS bowl, tallies an 11 win season, hell, wins a conference road game get back to me.

Until then, tear down the goal posts when you beat KU.

We'll stick to the big time football.

Last edited by MidtownCat on Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.