Voting Experiences

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
Xpatriate
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Voting Experiences

Post by Xpatriate »

Yeah, way to go, Midtown! =D>
The soul has greater need of the ideal than of the real. It is by the real that we exist; it is by the ideal that we live. - Victor Hugo
kcteen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Voting Experiences

Post by kcteen »

im also taking a break. my experierence at the bishop spencer place was similar to midtown's. HOWEVER, i drove all over south kc delivering water bottles and scouting to see where CAAT people were and we weren't and talking to the volunteers up there it was not nearly that encouraging. I have hope, though. The CAAT person at the bishop spencer place was from wichita. :(
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Voting Experiences

Post by MidtownCat »

One more thing, I spoke with a very sweet reporter from the Kansas City Star who said she was officially on the fence with this issue. I talked to her about my position at great length and it was a very nice conversation. I said, in fact, you should interview some of these folks from Enterprise sitting over there and get their point of view. I said it loud enough for them to hear it, and not one of them wanted to engage in a conversation. Not a single one would speak up and voice their position.

I hope I swayed her, I fell pretty good that I did. Either way, I'm looking forward to reading the article tomorrow.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Voting Experiences

Post by dangerboy »

Sounds like voter turnout is really heavy south of the river, which bodes well for the arena. It's the most populous area, the most politically active, and the most likely to vote yes.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Voting Experiences

Post by chrizow »

i agree dangerboy, but remember that SKC extends VERY far south, into Ruskin, Hickman Mills, by Raytown, down into the sticks by Grandview. there are lots of people down there (old people, conservative people) who are pretty likely to vote - and vote NO.

but, i think the Urban Core and enlightened N-Landers will carry the day. :cheers:
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Voting Experiences

Post by ignatius »

Great going MidtownCat.

On a tangent..

I was talking to a downtown independent developer the other day about several small properties he owns in Columbus Park and Xroads. He said that ever since the arena was announced, he has received _hundreds_ of calls from major developers from all of the country. They are waiting for the arena vote to pass before pursuing anything.

For the pro-development crowd, this is good news. But he said that for indy developers, most will be pushed out. He said current owners who sell will make off well but any future indy development will be far out-weighed by corporate development.

It's great that downtown KC has gotten to this point but I hope we can keep it manageable and not let downtown lose its soul with too many corporate developments outweighing true neighborhood development.

A balance would be fine with me.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Voting Experiences

Post by KCN »

Surely there is enough room in all of Xroads and the CBD to fit corporate and independent businesses.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Voting Experiences

Post by chrizow »

right, KCN.

i am all for the local developers doing their thing, but let's face it: they've let the CBD rot.

i am VERY much in support of outside money pouring in. corporate investment doesn't have to mean boring chain places. it could also mean huge res developments KC sorely needs. after P+L takes off, it will probably remain downtown's Chain Central, while the Xroads and other parts of DT can experience residential and commercial development from local as well as outside people. this is good.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Voting Experiences

Post by KCPowercat »

OK ran supplies to pro arena people at about 15 locations up north here are my results:

3 sites had nobody from either side that I can see
12 had anti people there...of those I'd say 2 anti groups were attempting to give out stuff...the others were just sitting there reading or just sitting with a sign, nowhere close to handing stuff out.
6 had pro people there....all trying hard for the most part maybe one not.

Of these 6 I talk to all but one indicated more yes than no votes....the only detractor said it was running 50/50 that she could tell.

One pro supporter said one of the anti's voted for the arena...who knows if he was telling the truth.

I attempted to talk anti people out of their shirts and trade me a shirt (not of either side, just a shirt) and almost had one guy but he said they had to turn them back in????? I want one of those shirts.

I have a good feeling about this but still little anxious. 2.5 hours left, we shall see.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Voting Experiences

Post by KCPowercat »

Also at HQ I talked to the mayor...she didn't give me any indication..actually asking me. Then found out about McFadden-Weaver doublecrossing us. I guess the mayor walked in and she immediately began crying.

Sounds like the east side will be the toughest win....

All 810's unscientific exit polling were positive except one where they talked to 15 people and 9 said no.

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Voting Experiences

Post by dangerboy »

KCPowercat wrote:Also at HQ I talked to the mayor...she didn't give me any indication..actually asking me. Then found out about McFadden-Weaver doublecrossing us. I guess the mayor walked in and she immediately began crying.

Sounds like the east side will be the toughest win....

All 810's unscientific exit polling were positive except one where they talked to 15 people and 9 said no.
Did Weaver pull some last minute shit? She was supposed have gotten on board last week after Alvin Brooks et. al gave her a talkin' to.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Voting Experiences

Post by KCPowercat »

mayor walked into her 3rd district office today I guess and she had anti stuff around everywhere.....straight up busted

Beltonhawk
New York Life
New York Life

Voting Experiences

Post by Beltonhawk »

Straight-up stupid too. I mean, c'mon, at least hide the shit.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Voting Experiences

Post by dangerboy »

Pardon my ebonics, but beatch is too nice of a word to describe her.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Voting Experiences

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Damn, even Johnson Countians wanted to vote "YES" for a downtown arena!

Voter turnout heavier than normal in many areas today
THE KANSAS CITY STAR

Spurred by some contentious primaries on both sides of the state line and a downtown arena vote in Kansas City, voters appeared to be turning out in heavier-than-usual numbers throughout the metropolitan area early today.

Voter turnout in Jackson County was heavy, said Charlene Davis, Republican Director of Elections for the Jackson County Board of Election Commissioners in Independence.

“Normal turnout for a primary election is about 26 percent,â€
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Voting Experiences

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Voting deadline is 7pm!!! Everybody needs to distribute the real facts about the downtown arena to last minute voters! Remember to be polite and smile. :) But be sure to tell them that you are from Kansas City and the Anti's were shipped in by Enterprise from out-of-town.

BTW, why didn't KC ever get a better pro-arena commercial showing all the dirty lies by Enterprise and the CAAT? If the arena fails, and that's a big "if", I bet it would pass in November when all the new dirt and lies gets out after the election.

One hour and 30 minutes remaining!!!
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.