Capping the Loop

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Capping the Loop

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:59 am I know who you are. I've never doxed you because I'm not an asshole and I don't care.

Again I stand by what I said.

Cordish was well established and brought in partner brands. Parts of the district were never leased. It did well, but not enough to pay city bonds. They delayed the towers until the recession was over.

Cordish is and was an incredibly conservative developer that only builds when it suits them.

I won't take this rewriting of history as cordish being a plucky little developer that came to the rescue. It's complete bullshit.
You can frame it however you want. I won’t disagree that they are conservative or cautious for the most part.

The facts are they were a much smaller company in the early 2000’s and this project was the biggest in its company history at that point in time. So it was a very big risk and endeavor for them.

I think its overall success to this point has surpassed expectations on many levels even if the city is still chipping in every year.

We can drop this now. All you do is claim anything I say is wrong, even when it’s verified as accurate. I’m just trying to enjoy talking about downtown development on here and share what I can when I can. It always gets so nasty for some reason. If you know who I am, you should know what I say is well informed.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Because you say things that aren't true!

The bonds were all backstopped by the city general fund, and they were heavily subsidized to come in.

I'm not against this, I'm just trying to talk about reality.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:18 pm Because you say things that aren't true!

The bonds were all backstopped by the city general fund, and they were heavily subsidized to come in.

I'm not against this, I'm just trying to talk about reality.
However, when requested to provide evidence refuting my statements, you find yourself unable to produce any counterarguments. It's important to note that there are instances when I engage in speculative discussions, and I make a conscious effort to highlight such moments. Conversely, there are occasions when I offer insights based on my knowledge and expertise. Keep in mind that information can evolve, and what I know at one point in time may not necessarily align with future developments. This divergence doesn't invalidate my prior statements; it simply reflects the dynamic nature of information.

It's worth mentioning that I have privately shared information with a select few members of this community, and they can vouch for the accuracy of my sources and the information I provide. I only engage in this manner with individuals I trust implicitly. I am not actively seeking to break news, as I have done in the past, given my contributions to this forum. I want to share in excitement what I can with this long established forum.

I've never claimed PNL isn't subsidized.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I've read that twice and don't know wtf you're requesting from me? A new thesaurus?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:53 pm I've read that twice and don't know wtf you're requesting from me? A new thesaurus?
If you’re going to call statements I’ve made false, you surely can tell me what those statements are. It’s that simple.

When I ask you to tell me what I’ve said in the last that was a lie, you just disappear. You claim what I say isn’t true as if you have more factual information but can’t produce it or even explain what’s wrong with my comments.

It all just seems more personal than anything else.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

PSA: this forum has agreed on almost nothing for 20 years (and likely won't for the next 20!).

First Cordish appearance on KCRag in 2003: "Is Cordish Co. good for downtown?"

Enjoy the hamster wheel!
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

"This divergence doesn't invalidate my prior statements; it simply reflects the dynamic nature of information."

Put that in the fucking louvre

As I have said repeatedly, I stand by everything I've said.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Let's Cap the Crap! Children behave! Back to the topic!
I say have a drinking contest to determine who's opinion is best.
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Here are some key points from article today on the South Loop Cap:

-Project looks to accelerate atleast 13 blocks of development in the vicinity

-The park is looking to be funded by creating a tax district of the nearby area (similar to streetcar?), estimated to bring property value sup by atleast 30%

-Construction on the park is anticipated to start in June and is targeted for completion in April 2026, ahead of the World Cup that summer

-In the application to Missouri, Cordish & Sky claim they are ready to go on the double building structure south of the Cap as soon as the funds for the park are secured

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... edits.html
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:47 pm Here are some key points from article today on the South Loop Cap:

-The park is looking to be funded by creating a tax district of the nearby area (similar to streetcar?), estimated to bring property value sup by atleast 30%

-Construction on the park is anticipated to start in June and is targeted for completion in April 2026, ahead of the World Cup that summer

-In the application to Missouri, Cordish & Sky claim they are ready to go on the double building structure south of the Cap as soon as the funds for the park are secured

And this last part is just me speculating but it seems from reading this, if they get the mega-grant this December then they should be able to actually built everything they want without cuts. I believe they can even start if they get a certain amount secured.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

bspecht wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:45 pm PSA: this forum has agreed on almost nothing for 20 years (and likely won't for the next 20!).

First Cordish appearance on KCRag in 2003: "Is Cordish Co. good for downtown?"

Enjoy the hamster wheel!
I can't argue with you there. I was a reader only for many years before making the terrible decision to jump in. I have no problem disagreeing with people or with people disagreeing with me but shit, we could be much more polite about it.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:47 pm Here are some key points from article today on the South Loop Cap:

-Project looks to accelerate at least 13 blocks of development in the vicinity
With the cap park, and the streetcar, I would think this would light a fire under the surface lots at 16th and Walnut, 16th and Main (both sides), and vacant parcels on Baltimore south of 16th.

We need to protect the building Anton's is in though.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

FangKC wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:28 pm

With the cap park, and the streetcar, I would think this would light a fire under the surface lots at 16th and Walnut, 16th and Main (both sides), and vacant parcels on Baltimore south of 16th.

Nicholson and Helbzerg can not be made to sell
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Cordish and Copaken will need to get incentives worked out before anything happens.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

langosta wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:50 pm

They will either sell or develop when they see that it's more financially-beneficial than what they are doing now.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

FangKC wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:01 pm

They will either sell or develop when they see that it's more financially-beneficial than what they are doing now.
Doubtful. They have been offered exorbitant amounts for their land but have no motivation to sell. At some point, capital appreciation becomes secondary to legacy, impact, and preservation. Hall and Kempers are the same way
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

langosta wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:03 pm
FangKC wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:01 pm

Doubtful. They have been offered exorbitant amounts for their land but have no motivation to sell. At some point, capital appreciation becomes secondary to legacy, impact, and preservation. Hall and Kempers are the same way
How is a surface lot a legacy or impact? It looks terrible
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

When 99% of the city hasn’t walked 5 feet in the last 80 years, a surface parking lot might as well be the Taj Mahal I guess
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Still failing to see how that benefits the lot owners to leave it as a surface lot long term. If you have a great downtown park a coupe blocks away, and also a new MLB stadium, you’re prob losing money not developing it.

And as far as legacy goes…how is a surface lot a legacy over profit situation?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:08 pm Still failing to see how that benefits the lot owners to leave it as a surface lot long term. If you have a great downtown park a coupe blocks away, and also a new MLB stadium, you’re prob losing money not developing it.

And as far as legacy goes…how is a surface lot a legacy over profit situation?
Because they are operating on a decades or centuries timeline. Crown Center acquisition started something like 100 years ago. These aren’t institutional investors who are driven to provide good returns for their investors (retirees and pensions) but instead wealthy family who have arbitrary goals like legacy. When your timeline is decades, you decide you’ll keep a lot today to build a tower in 20 years.

These families stabilized downtown in its worst years when institutional wouldnt touch downtown. I disagree with the current strategy but they have helped and invested greatly when no one else would.