Lighting of the Bridges

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Lighting of the Bridges

Post by dangerboy »

I believe the plan is to include the ASB, Hannibal, Choteau, and maybe even Platte Purchase bridges in the future. That will probably depend on fundraising.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Lighting of the Bridges

Post by AllThingsKC »

When/How do they include all bridges?
KC is the way to be!
scooterj
Ambassador

Lighting of the Bridges

Post by scooterj »

What's the Platte Purchase Bridge? I'm not familiar with that one.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Lighting of the Bridges

Post by dangerboy »

Like I said, the when/how will all depend on fundraising. This is all funded with private money, so it depends how long it takes them to get enough money donated for the next phase.

The Platte Purchase and Fairfax Bridges are a pair. They are bridges for US 69 between Platte County and KCK, connecting with 7th Street Trafficway.
scooterj
Ambassador

Re: Lighting of the Bridges

Post by scooterj »

Anyone know why the Broadway Bridge has gone dark?  It hasn't beeen lit for about 2 weeks.    The HOA's light's are still on.
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

scooterj wrote: Anyone know why the Broadway Bridge has gone dark?  It hasn't beeen lit for about 2 weeks.    The HOA's light's are still on.
It was lit when I drove over it this evening...... oh wait, the sun was still up. Never mind.
A fool and your money are soon united.
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

Actually, they may have them turned off while the Paseo bridge is being rebuilt, but then it wouldn't make sense for the HoA bridge lights to still be on. Or are the Paseo lights still on? It's been many moons since I've seen the area after dusk.
A fool and your money are soon united.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Gladstoner wrote: Actually, they may have them turned off while the Paseo bridge is being rebuilt, but then it wouldn't make sense for the HoA bridge lights to still be on. Or are the Paseo lights still on? It's been many moons since I've seen the area after dusk.
Paseo is dark and quite spooky looking.  Broadway has been dark the last few times I've been down there at night. 

The condo I have reserved has views of the Broadway Bridge.  They better turn those puppies back on! :-)
Big Red Storm
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Big Red Storm »

Maybe in a few years you will have a beautiful, new, state-of-the-art bridge when you look out your window.  We can only hope.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Big Red Storm wrote: Maybe in a few years you will have a beautiful, new, state-of-the-art bridge when you look out your window.  We can only hope.
Yeah, but I don't think the Broadway is in any danger, is it?  It is still in decent shape and is adequate for the traffic it handles.  This is coming from a guy that rides his bike everywhere, so someone in the know can correct me.

I already think Broadway is a nice bridge.  If it were replaced, it would have to be with something interesting.  If they throw a deck girder out there, I'd go ballistic.
Big Red Storm
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Big Red Storm »

^ Oops, misread your previous post.  I thought you said you had a view of the Paseo bridge out your window.  :mrgreen:

I think the Broadway bridge is staying.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

I emailed the Downtown Council and received a reply stating that the city responsible for operations and maintainence of the lights.  DTC has notified the city of the problem and is waiting for a reply.

Looks a job for the Action Center - http://www.kcmo.org/action - go forth and lodge your complaints.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Why does the city do this crap? All the hoopla about the lighting of the bridges, big bucks spent, then the city department responsible for maintaining this ammenity fails to do its job.  There should be no more than 2 or 3 days between notification of a problem like this and some kind of response.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

tat2kc wrote: Why does the city do this crap? All the hoopla about the lighting of the bridges, big bucks spent, then the city department responsible for maintaining this ammenity fails to do its job.  There should be no more than 2 or 3 days between notification of a problem like this and some kind of response.
Because there isn't enough money for basic operations and maintainence.  It's easy to raise money and get grants to build new stuff, but it's really difficult to raise taxes to pay for the boring day-to-day upkeep.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

The last time I heard anything, I heard that these Lights were supposed to last for 2-4 years, thats why they cost like 100,000 just for a dang bulb.  Are you guys saying some of the lights are burning out?  I havent been across ANY of the bridges lately, and just hearing this makes me mad.  The city sucks at managing money. We even pay people to manage their money, and they still screw up. 
Wouldn't it be more cost effictive to use LED lights instead of the convential bulbs?  Weather doesn't effect LEDS, they are just as bright, can be used in tighter spots, use less energy, and they last for a longgg time.  Or how about use them on the KCTV 5 Tower, you could even wire them to "fade" in and out of different colors.  I think I will send KCTV 5 my proposal.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

its one of my biggest pet peeves about KCMO. They build new and beautiful things, then let them rot because they can't afford to maintain them, or they allow some of our older ammenities to crumble while they build new stuff. I'd rather see the city not build any new ammenites until they can fix up what we already have.  Why spend money on new stuff when you can't afford to fix the old stuff?

Admittedly. lights for a bridge are not budget breaking items, but come on. Use the money wisely and fix what we have.  The city has countless deferred maintainence issues that, if were fixed, would do a whole lot more to change the image of a dirty city than would a fancy lights on a bridge. 
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

No, there aren't burned out bulbs.  They just haven't been turning on the lights at all lately.  They have been turning on the Heart of America lights, just not the Broadway lights.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

scooterj wrote: No, there aren't burned out bulbs.   They just haven't been turning on the lights at all lately.   They have been turning on the Heart of America lights, just not the Broadway lights.
Ok, thanks,
They're probably worried about having to replace them if they do burn out.  Either way thats stupid.  The broadway should be light up if the HOA is.  Why not just use Glow-In-The-Dark paints on the paseo, after all, WE are paying to have it repainted.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

I agree with the frustration.  What looks better -- existing infrafrastructure that is clean and well maintained or something new that is under-utilized and poorly maintained.  It is probably a better reflection to leave the bridges dark than to install lights and use them inconsistently.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

The Broadway lights came back on about a week ago.  Anyone ever hear why they were shut down?