P&L District: 13th & Walnut Site Proposal

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

QueSi2Opie wrote:
trailerkid wrote:Stanford's doesn't even have a location anyway.
Stanford should go ahead and open a Def Jam type comedy club on 18th & Vine.
Stanford Glazer wanted to do exaclty this, but the people in charge of 18th & Vine didn't want an "outsider" (i.e. white guy) running a def jam club there. They really prefer to encourage people within the black community to open businesses at 18th and Vine.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

dangerboy wrote:Stanford Glazer wanted to do exaclty this, but the people in charge of 18th & Vine didn't want an "outsider" (i.e. white guy) running a def jam club there. They really prefer to encourage people within the black community to open businesses at 18th and Vine.
I think they should take whatever they can get! Wasn't Sprint an "outsider"? I'm sure Glazer would employ mostly African-Americans from the local community for bouncers, bartenders, waiters/waitresses, chefs, etc.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

dangerboy wrote:
QueSi2Opie wrote:
trailerkid wrote:Stanford's doesn't even have a location anyway.
Stanford should go ahead and open a Def Jam type comedy club on 18th & Vine.
Stanford Glazer wanted to do exaclty this, but the people in charge of 18th & Vine didn't want an "outsider" (i.e. white guy) running a def jam club there. They really prefer to encourage people within the black community to open businesses at 18th and Vine.
So can someone Black from OP open something there?
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

So, the 18th and vine district is restricting businesses to african americans only? Wow. sounds like a neighborhood I'll never visit again.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Sorry, I didn't mean to start a tangent. Maybe we should take this to it's own thread.

They aren't barring any outside businesses. It's just part of the larger insular attitude of some in the black community. There is a lot of pride wrapped up having people within the community involved in 18th & Vine.

It isn't really racial either. There was a lot of resistance when the city hired an African American from out of town to run the redevelopment authority.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Updated tenant types from the Star (there are some difference from the diagram):

- High-engergy lounge
- Upscale tavern
- National live music-themed restaurant
- Irish Pub
- Country Western, dueling piano
- High energy club
- Retro dance club
- Comedy Club
- Outdor high-end martini lounge
- Outdoor multi-tap garden brew pub
- Outdoor tropical theme lounge
- Hip bowling alley
- Billiards lounge
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Does anyone know if there is a country bar chain for that large spot?

A while ago there was talk of the Beaumont being kicked out of Westport during the "debarring" controversy. As that seems to have blown over, Beaumont moving seems to be less and less a possibility.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i'm all for diversity of nightlife options at P+L Live, but country and western?????

:puke:
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

notice the updated list, it states "C/W, dueling piano bar" so maybe it's up in the air

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

chrizow wrote:i'm all for diversity of nightlife options at P+L Live, but country and western?????

:puke:
I would love it if it was a real country and western bar in the spirit of legends like Waylon Jennings, Dolly, Kris Kristofferson, Loretta Lynn, Johnny Cash, Dwight Yoakam, Willie, etc. But if it is some pre-fab pop country bar with line dancing and Kenny Chesney songs then... :puke:
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I also want to be the first to publicly show disapproval of putting one of these in front of the inevitable Hard Rock Cafe in Power+Light:
^^^ http://www.phototour.minneapolis.mn.us/index.html
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

trailerkid wrote:I also want to be the first to publicly show disapproval of putting one of these in front of the inevitable Hard Rock Cafe in Power+Light:
That would be like McDonald's not using the big yellow arches! I approve any neon lights that restaurants and retailers want to place in downtown. Afterall, our old jazz clubs were covered in them.

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

QueSi2Opie wrote:
trailerkid wrote:I also want to be the first to publicly show disapproval of putting one of these in front of the inevitable Hard Rock Cafe in Power+Light:
That would be like McDonald's not using the big yellow arches! I approve any neon lights that restaurants and retailers want to place in downtown. Afterall, our old jazz clubs were covered in them.
I'm not against neon...I'm against a big ass stupid three story neon guitar.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by QueSi2Opie »

trailerkid wrote:I'm not against neon...I'm against a big ass stupid three story neon guitar.
Why is it stupid? Would it be better if it was a big ass three story neon saxophone?

This district will be a gleaming district with bright lights and huge gawdy signs...whether we like it or not. Sorry for stating the obvious, but it's a destination district...not a homegrown independent district like 39th Street or Xroads.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Has anyone ever been to Hawaiian-themed Tiki Bob's? I believe the nearest location is in Dallas. I'm not sure where they'd fit into Cordish's plan, but they might be suitable for the "outdoor club" part of the package. I know that they host things like Playboy model seaches and contests with half naked women prancing around the club.

http://www.tikibobsdallas.com/
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i havent been to a Tiki Bob's, but i think it would be cool to have one in the P+L. (does anyone else think this "Live!" tag is realllllly stupid? i just say "P+L.")

while i would probably never go to Tiki Bob's myself, i think it would be a cool place for tourists and locals alike. the alpha males always need somewhere to swill beer and harass ladies. "theme" places like that are usually good in that way.

as for the huge neon guitar, i dont really care. the HRC is pretty high on the cheese factor anyway, so it may as well have the huge guitar.

i am also with Que: neon is fine. KC used to be lit up with neon in its heyday. may as well be lit up again, at least in the tourist district.
jimmy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jimmy »

what is zazen
Don't believe the hype! I'm a nice guy.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

bump
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

In today's Star, it talks about site plan changes, one of them puts a 1,000 space garage that was to be at the 12th and Main block into the ground of this block.
That 1,000-space garage had been planned for the site of the former Jones Store north of the Block Center, but it now has been shifted to the block east between 13th and 14th streets from Walnut Street to Grand. The new location also puts the garage directly across Grand from the planned arena.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote:In today's Star, it talks about site plan changes, one of them puts a 1,000 space garage that was to be at the 12th and Main block into the ground of this block.
That 1,000-space garage had been planned for the site of the former Jones Store north of the Block Center, but it now has been shifted to the block east between 13th and 14th streets from Walnut Street to Grand. The new location also puts the garage directly across Grand from the planned arena.
I don't get it. Are they still going to do the "Live" concept here with the courtyard surrounded by nightclubs and bars?