Streetcars?

Transportation topics in KC
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Streetcars?

Post by KCK »

Could streetcars work for KC? No I'm not talking an extensive light rail system that stretches all over town and costs billions, I am talking streetcars that stretch certainly through the plaza and downtown, perhaps other parts of the urban core.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Streetcars?

Post by dangerboy »

light rail is basically just a modern version of the old street car. there may be some technical differences, but they are largely the same with rails in the street, under or overhead electrical lines, etc.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

streetcars

Post by macnw »

I thought the difference between streetcars and light rail depended on where the vehicle ran. Light rail exists on its own right of way? Streetcars run with the traffic? Or that's the way it seems here in Portland, where both exist.
kcteen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Streetcars?

Post by kcteen »

i think we should have streetcars. Portland's modern (european-style) streetcar line cost around 63 million i believe. I think we could afford that to have a good circulator route downtown. Compare that to lightrail and its a bargain. Plus, it would be an attraction of its own

kcteen
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Streetcars?

Post by zonk »

I think many fail to realize that KC had one of the most extensive streetcar systems in the past. In fact many of the rails are still in place in various locations. I don't really understand the history of why they were removed...Does anybody know?

Why couldn't we bring back certain routes?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Streetcars?

Post by KCPowercat »

they were removed by GM. (I think that was the car maker). They bought the system and systematically brought it down.....reason? Hmmmmm.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Streetcars?

Post by KCK »

I have been reading about very small streetcar loops for several cities. Usually 1 to 2 mile loops. I think this would be perfect for the plaza. Costs would be below $10 million and we could use some old historic streetcars.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Streetcars?

Post by tat2kc »

i agree, Deadman. A couple nice small lines linking the plaza, the museums, union station, the hospital hill area, crossroads, downtown and city market could move a lot of people quickly, and really add to the energy. small lines could be done one or two at a time as interest in those increases.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

streetcars

Post by macnw »

If we are looking for connectivity, why not build a streetcar line that promotes the area's health sciences together. I'm talking about a line running from 39th and State Line(KU Med Center) to the Plaza/UMKC/Stowers Institute to the Hospital Hill area. This would help tie those locations together and further promote the Life Sciences Initiative.

A couple of examples of cities doing this are San Francisco(UCSF Research Park?/Mission Bay) and here in Portland(OHSU Research park/transportation complex and housing). The aforementioned projects are huge, but show how regional institutions(universities/Stowers etc...) can promote development.

I think Stowers has the opportunity in KC to pull this off. Developing the area around Beacon Hill makes great sense. Not only will it put jobs in the "core", people will move to Beacon Hill/ 18th and Vine/Hospital Hill. All these projects can be tied together with a streetcar line. Stowers would also be connect to its other Plaza location by Bruce Watkins Parkway.

Does this seem feasible or is this just a pipe dream?