EMERGENCY tax Vote for Union Station DROPPED

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

Ch 5 reports and interviewed Kay barnes at 4pm. Whereby the ask for more bread for union station in an EMERGENCY vote was dropped poste' Haste' today as it was Found to be ILLEGAL after a third legal team scoured the books this week and found that without full accounting and satisfaction for first set of Monies, it would be completely ILLEGAL to ask for money to Pay IT back and emergency money to stay afloat

Union station MGT Had No comment

Better order that plywood!!! Union Station may need it
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

some of the best structures have closed at one time to get it right.

Cinci's U.S. closed
DC's U.S. closed

I'll support U.S. when they get more product in there to support themselves, this is far from the end of the world.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

I would seriously start weeping if Union Station closes its doors. Sometimes I walk in there just to feel better on a bad day. Yeah, I'm all romantic about it. I'm supporting the restaurants there as much as I can afford while breaking my "try something new" tradition.

Yes, we need a new plan. I think I should take over.

Regardless, I'd pay $2 at the door just to walk in.
kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

staubio wrote:I would seriously start weeping if Union Station closes its doors. Sometimes I walk in there just to feel better on a bad day. Yeah, I'm all romantic about it. I'm supporting the restaurants there as much as I can afford while breaking my "try something new" tradition.

Yes, we need a new plan. I think I should take over.

Regardless, I'd pay $2 at the door just to walk in.

There is a donation box in there with envelopes up next to the customer information center
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

according to the biz journal, the mayor and the chairman of US have decided to appoint a commitee to look at all aspects of Union station, and the museum, including its relationship to Corinthian Hall. It will also look at the business plan, and alternative funding plans. Because of this commitee, and its job, councilman Glover has postponed plans to introduce the ordinance relating to a tax. No mention of illegal activity, or scouring books.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/s ... st=b_ln_hl

But what do they know? its only the Kansas City Business Journal.

It sounds to me that they are moving forward in a calm, deliberate manner, to satisfy all parties who are concerned with the future of this landmark.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
kansasfarmboy

Re: EMERGENCY tax Vote for Union Station DROPPED

Post by kansasfarmboy »

kansasfarmboy wrote:Ch 5 reports and interviewed Kay barnes at 4pm. Whereby the ask for more bread for union station in an EMERGENCY vote was dropped poste' Haste' today as it was Found to be ILLEGAL after a third legal team scoured the books this week and found that without full accounting and satisfaction for first set of Monies, it would be completely ILLEGAL to ask for money to Pay IT back and emergency money to stay afloat

Union station MGT Had No comment

Better order that plywood!!! Union Station may need it

Hahhahahahahahahahahah Just like I said weeks ago

"Form a Commitee" in other words ... TOUGH LUCK Board it up!!!

Posted on Thu, May. 13, 2004

Union Station ballot issue appears dead

By LYNN HORSLEY

The Kansas City Star

Efforts to place a Union Station property tax increase on the August ballot were abandoned today.

Instead, Mayor Kay Barnes announced she will help appoint a committee to evaluate all the issues surrounding the financial struggles of Union Station, Science City and the Kansas City Museum at Corinthian Hall.

Barnes said she and Union Station leaders will work together to appoint the members of the committee next week. She is asking that they finish their work by Oct. 1, 2004.

The committee will study the following issues: governance of Union Station, the relationship between the station and Corinthian Hall, alternative funding solutions, and review of the station's business plan.

Late last month, the Union Station board said it would ask the City Council to place a property tax increase before voters on the Aug. 3 ballot. The board said it needed that extra money to help the station deal with a financial crisis that has been building for years.

But the city council would have had to act by May 25 to meet an election board deadline. Council members complained that they didn't have enough time or information to fully review such a ballot proposal, and this week it became clear that a majority of council members were not willing to put such a proposal on the ballot.

City officials said the mayor's idea of forming a review committee would serve as a compromise approach to arriving at a solution for Union Station.

email this print this
kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

tat2kc wrote:according to the biz journal, the mayor and the chairman of US have decided to appoint a commitee to look at all aspects of Union station, and the museum, including its relationship to Corinthian Hall. It will also look at the business plan, and alternative funding plans. Because of this commitee, and its job, councilman Glover has postponed plans to introduce the ordinance relating to a tax. No mention of illegal activity, or scouring books.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/s ... st=b_ln_hl

But what do they know? its only the Kansas City Business Journal.

It sounds to me that they are moving forward in a calm, deliberate manner, to satisfy all parties who are concerned with the future of this landmark.

Dont you know what "FOrm a Commitee" means ? BACK BURNER DELUX....
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I like Barnes approach to this....it would be irresponsible to throw this on the ballot at the last second w/o studying it and looking for alternatives...all the while preying on people's attachment to U.S. to help it out.....the management and plan is the problem there, no reason to blindly throw money at a bad plan.

BTW, her "committees" have just came out with $2 Billion of development in the past few months, I'll trust it.

KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

KFB, they can't and won't board it up, the Post Office is going to relocate there after construction w/ the IRS starts.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote:I like Barnes approach to this....it would be irresponsible to throw this on the ballot at the last second w/o studying it and looking for alternatives...all the while preying on people's attachment to U.S. to help it out.....the management and plan is the problem there, no reason to blindly throw money at a bad plan.

BTW, her "committees" have just came out with $2 Billion of development in the past few months, I'll trust it.
I agree, more work needs to be done to fix the problem because we don't want to have to go to the polls again to keep it open.

Move that stupid KC Museum to US and create that "regional" history museum we have all been talking about. And bring in a bigtime museum developer to do it (not the KC museum people).

Fix Science City, add a regional history museum, a transportation museum and possibly move or build a new steam boat museum and add more retail.

Then, along with the new Liberty Memorial museum, sell it as the museum district.

You can buy an all day tickets at a discount to all attractions in the US/Lib Mem complex.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

better yet make S.C. FREE and put more around it that will get a huge traffic increase by all the families flocking to a free exhibit.

NDgravy
Pad site
Pad site

Post by NDgravy »

The concern with making Science City free is that it will make it hard to operate as costs will most likely help run the place into the ground. However, if they make prices reasonable and make SC a place where families want to go, then that would add a lot of foot traffic to US without asking the citizens of KC to foot the museum bill. In my opinion, the museum operators should do something like the Museum of Science and Industry in Chcago... they can upgrade the science area, put in an area for train buffs (industry), put in other industries related to KC, and then add a few more parts of local history. I do like the idea of the all day pass for both Liberty Memorial and Science City, but I think that the pass needs to be inexpensive to create demand and return clientele. Of course, I don't even live in the KC area yet so I do not have a very good feel about what the area would be most interested in. That is why I like the idea of something for everyone.
kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

NDgravy wrote:The concern with making Science City free is that it will make it hard to operate as costs will most likely help run the place into the ground. However, if they make prices reasonable and make SC a place where families want to go, then that would add a lot of foot traffic to US without asking the citizens of KC to foot the museum bill. In my opinion, the museum operators should do something like the Museum of Science and Industry in Chcago... they can upgrade the science area, put in an area for train buffs (industry), put in other industries related to KC, and then add a few more parts of local history. I do like the idea of the all day pass for both Liberty Memorial and Science City, but I think that the pass needs to be inexpensive to create demand and return clientele. Of course, I don't even live in the KC area yet so I do not have a very good feel about what the area would be most interested in. That is why I like the idea of something for everyone.
Well I believe this has been studied, out of 20 some exhibits only 4 are deemed viable

also , how much further can it be run into the ground, according to their own press release they are BUSTED NOW!! and need IMMEDIATE MONEY,,, doesnt sound good...!

As far as science and industry , museum, thats the ONLY way to go,,, get the cities HANDS ALL the way OUT!!!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

kansasfarmboy wrote:Dont you know what "FOrm a Commitee" means ? BACK BURNER DELUX....
Barnes formed a committee nearly two years ago to look at a possible arena.

Steps for U.S.
1. Dump current leadership.
2. Create new business plan with U.S. acting as national cultural draw in addition to "live space" used for transit, retail, restaurants and entertainment.
3. Build the new ballpark across the street in Washington Square Park.
kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

trailerkid wrote:
kansasfarmboy wrote:Dont you know what "FOrm a Commitee" means ? BACK BURNER DELUX....
Barnes formed a committee nearly two years ago to look at a possible arena.

Steps for U.S.
1. Dump current leadership.
2. Create new business plan with U.S. acting as national cultural draw in addition to "live space" used for transit, retail, restaurants and entertainment.
3. Build the new ballpark across the street in Washington Square Park.
And the money for this would come from ?

Do not forget that the CURRENT money OWED by union station, MUST be PAID BACK not just assumed over and over , a private person must pay it off or they must earn enough $$$ to pay it off. Its ILLEGAL to pass another tax to PAY for the shortcomings of the first one...