Another -HUGE BLACK EYE- For Already Burdoned Bartle HALL!!!

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

Now that they have HACKED off Vendors whos going to want to come to bartle hall with their venues knowing this...

Some of the things this city does perplexes me in so many different ways..

_________
:puke:

Posted on Sun, Apr. 18, 2004

Sudden tax angers Bartle exhibitors

1-cent sales levy to fund parking garages

By LYNN HORSLEY

The Kansas City Star

Some consumer show planners are fuming about a new Bartle Hall tax that they knew nothing about until shortly before it was imposed this month.

The 1-cent sales tax increase applies to most purchases at Bartle Hall except big-ticket items such as boats, cars and recreational vehicles. It is intended to help pay for construction of parking garages supporting the convention center and the planned Performing Arts Center.

Only two persons voted in an election to create the tax — a representative of the city and a representative of PAC Holding Inc., a nonprofit real estate holding company set up by the Muriel McBrien Kauffman Foundation. It owns the land where the arts center will be built.

Supporters argue the sales tax is a modest one, although they admit they do not know how much money it will raise. They contend it will not significantly hurt customers or sales and will benefit consumer show planners by supporting much needed downtown parking.

Some event planners who will bear the cost say they were not notified in advance about the tax, had no vote on it and consider it an unfair burden.

The tax affects more than 1,000 businesses selling everything from pots and pans to hot tubs to all-terrain vehicles during the Sportshow, Boat Show, RV Show, and spring and fall Home Shows, said Pat Riha, who produces the RV and boat shows. Riha said it also increases the tax on more than 200,000 tickets sold to the Bartle consumer shows and concerts at Municipal Auditorium, and the tax on large catered functions such as those for the annual corporate meeting of Wal-Mart Stores Inc.

“None of the businesses to my knowledge were notified of the ordinance's implications,â€
kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

You know ,,, after reading deeper in that article, I see where the FIST of the deceased Kaufmans is being RAMMED up the backside of those in kc Yet again.

Its time to put the kaufmans to rest permantly. They have been deceased for many years now yet those who want want to "Believe" In kc progress think throwing the kaufman name on something make it better,more viable and easier to pass project.

I recall that when the kaufmans passed away that they wanted to secure the royals stay in kansas city Im not sure what they did , set up some endowment of some kind . Well if they build a ball stadium downtown thats sure to lure the royals down there and away from kaufman stadium perhaps someone could educate me on how this would work? does this mean that the royals would split where they play share both parks or abandon "the k" all together. Then what is to be done with the current ball stadium at least the baseball side
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Good thing you don't live here, and don't contribute to making Kansas City better. It must be a load off your shoulders not to have anything to do with Kansas City other than trolling the web looking for things that you percieve as negative. Life is good, huh?
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

tat2kc wrote:Good thing you don't live here, and don't contribute to making Kansas City better. It must be a load off your shoulders not to have anything to do with Kansas City other than trolling the web looking for things that you percieve as negative. Life is good, huh?

YES Your right!!! You call it trolling I call it keeping INFORMED.

the word KANSAS CITY MO = Tax,Tax,Tax,Tax HELL you just got taxed WITHOUT even a VOTE on this one ..... only 2 , city representatives put this into motion . DOesnt this anger you as a citizen of KC ? It would me ..... If there was such a tax put into place in gladstone I would be at the first city council meeting giving my redress to the city and doing everythig legally possible to get it STOPPED

I also seen a survey friday that says most people in the usa feel they arent taxed enough... That was BILL CLINTONS goal as he was slinging DNA all over the oval office, and it looks like he succeded in washing the minds of americans foolish enough to listen to it.....

DEMOCRAT = tax and spend , REPEAT!!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

who cares, within five years, you will not be able to avoid these taxing districts (transportation etc) anywhere in the metro area including suburbs in both states.

Everybody wants free parking on weekends, well nothing is free.
kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

GRID wrote:who cares, within five years, you will not be able to avoid these taxing districts (transportation etc) anywhere in the metro area including suburbs in both states.

Everybody wants free parking on weekends, well nothing is free.

SURE you should care.... AND you can do something about it If those who vote , would "grow a pair" and run these FOOLS out of office , and hold those accountable, for idiotic stunts like this one .....

I bet they would reconsider in a HURRY, if they started moving major events to the overland park facility... or better yet bypass KC all to gether . I do know that one car show will NOT be here next january because of the stolen trailer,truck, and cars right from the , bartle property where they were waiting on the on ramp into the event hall ...
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Well, all that should matter to you is when one of these shows will come to Gladstone or to hundreds of acres of empty flat Kansas farmland.
Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Downtowner »

Kansasfarmboy needs to spend more time in Olathe worrying about where the next Applebees should go. His contributions here are always negative and ridiculous.
LyRiCaL GanGsTa

Post by LyRiCaL GanGsTa »

LOL... Now that's funny Downtowner!
kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

scooterj wrote:Well, all that should matter to you is when one of these shows will come to Gladstone or to hundreds of acres of empty flat Kansas farmland.
Do not tell me WHEN something SHOULD matter to me!!! You haveabsolutely NO right to tell me what I should and should NOT care about.

Your the One with your head in the sand like an ostrich exposing your backside to the tax rapists in city hall..
kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

Downtowner wrote:Kansasfarmboy needs to spend more time in Olathe worrying about where the next Applebees should go. His contributions here are always negative and ridiculous.

Negative they may be.... Ridiculous they are NOT. I call em as I see em, its merely a case of sour grapes with some of you people . I am certainly glad i choose NOT to spend a nickel in KC. You people can get systematicly RAPED repeatedly if you want , You let it happen , in fact some of you appear to LIKE IT. NOW that being said go ahead let Kansas city politicians SODOMIZE you like no tommorow you seem to like it. I do know I wouldnt.. AND furthermore I would NOT allow it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

it certainly seems as if this was done the wrong way. They should make sure these types of things are sent out to the affected people.

Now the other point of this costing Bartle conventions is outlandish. Special taxing districts are commonplace throughout the city and country, this is nothing out of line. 1% sales tax on purchases inside the hall is not a huge deal. The whole problem is how it was put in place.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

kansasfarmboy wrote:
scooterj wrote:Well, all that should matter to you is when one of these shows will come to Gladstone or to hundreds of acres of empty flat Kansas farmland.
Do not tell me WHEN something SHOULD matter to me!!! You haveabsolutely NO right to tell me what I should and should NOT care about.

Hah! Right. You do that to us with every one of your posts. If you do not live here and you refuse to ever spend any money here, YOU are the one with no right to tell us the things that should matter to us.
kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

KCPowercat wrote:it certainly seems as if this was done the wrong way. They should make sure these types of things are sent out to the affected people.

Now the other point of this costing Bartle conventions is outlandish. Special taxing districts are commonplace throughout the city and country, this is nothing out of line. 1% sales tax on purchases inside the hall is not a huge deal. The whole problem is how it was put in place.

I truly wish i could find a written comment to show you because it was in verbal interview form on fox 4 news. But the ASA custom car show , said they will NOT be coming to bartle hall next year. But since i dont have proof it will just be an opinion for now , UNTIL I find it.

At this car show they sell stereo equipment and supplies to , enhance the performance of your car most of the cars were of the small honda type , dodge neons, and those thumping stereos.

in either event they pledged NOT to come back after the MESS in january they encountered here.

Every time I look at those ignorant cables on bartle hall... it makes me laught,,, some day a news chopper is going to HIT those and plummet to the highway below. You know its goingto happen its just a matter of time.

I flew into municipal (charles B. Wheeler ) memorial airport on a cessna 1 1/2 years ago and when we made our final approach you could literally see right down on top of these where the pidgeons were roosting and a little railing where maintenance men walk around the dude I was with whom was flying the plane said he has almost hit thost spires twice at night and they are listed as hazzards on approach on the aviation map.

I did see they had lighting at night but it still to me, looks ridiculous....
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

LOL! Ok, whatever I understand the discontent with the Bartle tax KFB, but come on you're talking about the Bartle pillars and the fact that they're an air hazard?! Are you kidding? Who cares? Any tall structure is a hazard to a small airplane, cables or not. It really does seem to me that you systematically search for things to hate in KC, though you are good at it.

Oh and by the way, I spent large portions of time downtown at night and bikeriding (!) all around in the day and WASN'T SHOT (a reference to another KFB post) :lol: .
are we spinning free?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I can believe people said that on TV. I can see certain "high quality" shows such as stereo installers not coming back for all kinds of reasons. Sounds like in the car stereo case it had to do with some theft, not the sales tax, correct?

What I don't understand is why this is actually a burden on the people who put on these shows. Isn't it just an additional sales tax that would be passed to the consumer? Why would the people who run the shows care? This is a serious question.

Every time I look at those ignorant cables on bartle hall... it makes me laught,,, some day a news chopper is going to HIT those and plummet to the highway below. You know its goingto happen its just a matter of time.

I flew into municipal (charles B. Wheeler ) memorial airport on a cessna 1 1/2 years ago and when we made our final approach you could literally see right down on top of these where the pidgeons were roosting and a little railing where maintenance men walk around the dude I was with whom was flying the plane said he has almost hit thost spires twice at night and they are listed as hazzards on approach on the aviation map
Now this is out of left field. Since the FAA flight plans say airplanes need to be at the elevation of 1500' over downtown Bartle Hall area so if the plane you were in was 300-400' that would be scary. Actually I live downtown and I never see planes flying over that area approaching....mostly they come in from the north and take off to the south pull towards the west as they take off. The planes I've seen approaching from the north usually are set up to land much earlier than turning around Bartle would allow for.

Weird...that would be a scary wild trip. If I ever see a news helicopter flying that low I'm pretty dang scared because there are many buildings a LOT taller than the cables on Bartle.

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

maybe we should build our convention centers entirely underground, so as to avoid incompetent pilots from flying into them.

maybe the gateway arch should be dismantled so planes don't fly into it.

maybe we should all live in hobbit holes so planes don't fly into our homes.

KFB is easily the most bitter forumer i have encountered on any forum. to liken increased sales taxes to a BLACK EYE is absurd.

i hope i never accidentally cut you off on the highway. i'd probably end up taking a bullet to the face. jesus h. christ man, get over it.

if you hate KC and its predatory taxing policies, move to fucking Wyoming where they barely tax their residents. maybe you could move into dick cheney's basement.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

Your talking 1500' over just the West Bottoms and Quality Hill right? Because the runway goes from NE to SW. Also, 1KCP would have broken the height rules since it is 610ft or so on the western side (which the entrance of the west side is 900ft above sea level)
And it also has the antenna on top which would break the 1500' rule.
Back to the topic in hand...
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

That's probably what he meant... the flights paths that I see planes take every day steer well clear of the CBD. Usually they come in over the west bottoms when from the south.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yes, if you are in a plane over the CBD, have to be over 1500' in the air....planes don't land from that direction that I've ever seen...that's why we have to "real" height restrictions on our buildings.