Lawrence transit (The T) at crossroads...

Transportation topics in KC
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Lawrence transit (The T) at crossroads...

Post by trailerkid »

The Larence Transit System (The T) will hold a public meeting for proposed route changes to the system which has only been running for around 3 years. Ridership is at around 1000 riders per day and runs from from 6:00 AM to 8:00 PM M-Sat. It covers nearly every corner of the city with the coverage a little better east of Iowa Street. The main transit hubs are downtown, KU campus, and Lawrence's Big Box District (31st and Iowa). It truly an awesome asset for a city of our size and 1000 riders a day seems pretty impressive for a fairly new system. MV Transit, the operater, is also the largest African-American owned transit provider in the US.

The proposed routes and changes can be viewed in PDF files here...
http://www.lawrencetransit.org/reroutes ... ckets.html

I am happy with the changes although I have grown fond of the current route (6 Bus) that I regularly use. I think I need to attend the meeting, regardless of any complaints or comments, just as a non-verbal sign that transit is important to community. I would really like to bring up the idea of expanding transit to late night and beginning a commuter service from Lawrence to Union Station.

LAWRENCE TRANSIT SYSTEM PROPOSED ROUTE CHANGES

Public Hearings

Saturday, April 10, 2004
Holcom Recreation Center, 2700 West 27th Street 10:00 am - 11:30 am

Tuesday, April 13, 2004
Douglas County Fairgrounds, 2110 Harper, Bldg#1 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm

For more information:

Karin Rexroad, Public Transit Administrator
Lawrence Transit System 933 New Hampshire
Lawrence, KS 66044
785-832-3465
transitinfo@ci.lawrence.ks.us
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Lawrence transit (The T) at crossroads...

Post by trailerkid »

Lawrence Transit just posted a 25% increase over last May. 35,676 passengers for May '06 is not bad for a system that's only a few years old in a city of 80,000.
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

TK, did you ever pose your question regarding a link to DT KCMO?

Also, start harassing them about putting a trolley lline loop going through downtown and KU...
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

BVC wrote: TK, did you ever pose your question regarding a link to DT KCMO?

Also, start harassing them about putting a trolley lline loop going through downtown and KU...
Sorry...I never saw this question.

I'm embarrassed I haven't gotten more involved in the local transit system. There is talk of linking L to KCMo and/or JoCo with a fixed route system. IMHO it is a long time coming. I would be satisfied if they ran 2 buses during the morning and evening rush hours to Union Station. I would think there would be even more demand for buses running to/from the College Blvd area. There is so much potential in expanding the economic base for both DT KCMo and Lawrence if a reliable fixed route service was added.

I would prefer a BRT connection that runs from downtown through campus/dorms and terminates in the South Iowa area. I've heard word of upping the frequency of the bus that runs through downtown and campus, but haven't heard for sure. Something that runs every 15 minutes from the AM to midnight would be ideal.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

if the universe was orderly and made sense, I would have been able to take a high speed train from KC to Lawrence on days I had class at KU, and get there faster than I would have by driving. Of course, also, UMKC would have had the program I wanted which would negate the whole scenario in an orderly and sensical universe.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

is this system coordinated with KU's buses? did it replace them? i used to ride a bus from 23rd and louisiana to the campus everyday (circa 1995), but i thought those were run by the university???
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

DaveKCMO wrote: is this system coordinated with KU's buses? did it replace them? i used to ride a bus from 23rd and louisiana to the campus everyday (circa 1995), but i thought those were run by the university???
We have two bus systems now. KU on Wheels and The T (run by the city). I think if they merged these systems we would have a better overall transit system that could provide things like BRT or even street cars.
NorthLeawood4
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by NorthLeawood4 »

Streetcars would be a beautiful addition to Lawrence, especially in downtown and campus. I'd love to see something like that progress in a town I'm in so often.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

The T is now the first system in the state of KS using Google Transit.

http://www.lawrenceks.org/lists/archive.php?x=754
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

BOTH financing questions for a sales tax to fund the local fixed route system win in a LANDSLIDE-- 70% to 30%.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/nov/0 ... _sales_ta/
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

trailerkid wrote: BOTH financing questions for a sales tax to fund the local fixed route system win in a LANDSLIDE-- 70% to 30%.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/nov/0 ... _sales_ta/

=D> =D> =D>
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

lawrence transit also receives an ARRA grant...
KS: $1 Million - St. Lawrence (ARRA Grant)
The City of Lawrence will use the funds to purchase two security-equipped 40-foot buses.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

DaveKCMO wrote: lawrence transit also receives an ARRA grant...
Any idea what security-equipped would mean?
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

bus marshalls
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

loftguy wrote: Any idea what security-equipped would mean?
TK will ride along and beat the hell out of any passangers he deems to be faux-urban. 
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Chrizow, surely you can find an image that will illustrate this for us.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

probably a camera. most KCATA buses have them. a tiny black circle to the right of the driver, WATCHING YOU.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

another quick update...

lawrence is now running a new, coordinated route 11 (city + KU buses working as one route together) during the fall and spring. this bus runs every 30 minutes connecting downtown + old west lawrence + a majority of the ku campus + thousands of apartments + south iowa big box. this route could truly be the gateway towards something like BRT for Lawrence. when you look at the campus and the relative density of activity in central lawrence...this is a godsend. congrats to the city/ku for finally getting it right.

i would encourage any kc peeps that can access k-10 connector buses to coordinate a carfree trip the next time you're here (weekdays only...grrr!). k-10 connector stops at 19th and Naismith Dr (KU campus) which is a big part of route 11.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

You can also do Amtrak to get back to Lawrence.  It's $11 to ride from Union Station to downtown Lawrence, leaving around 11 and arriving at 12:30 in the am.  Coming back is more of a problem unless you had a REALLY good time in Lawrence.  Leaving at 6 am and arriving at 7:30 am.