Why is Legends Taking So Long?!?!?

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

Ok, I don't have a clue what they are trying to do out there, but I thought the movie theater was a go. I have seen records from the planning commission approving almost everything for The Legends, yet absolutely no construction has even started in the area. This thing is two years behind schedule and I am extremely concerned.

Yeah, I know everyone thinks I am the most skeptical person alive, but you can't deny that this thing is taking way too long to get started.

I want to make it clear that I want Legends to happen, but when? According to Red Development, Spring 2005. Well since they haven't started construction yet, they had better get off their butts.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Slappy the Wang »

Based on their other projects, they really just need about 8 months to build. I think they're already well behind schedule.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

If they haven't broken ground on at least some of it by june, then there's a problem, big time. We're moving rapidly into the major construction season, and something needs to be happening very soon.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Spring 2005 is the proposed opening date.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

It amazes how they don't have tennats lining up with the incenatives they are offering. That tells me the demos just are not there even if it means little risk to the retailer.

Having said that, Zonarosa was like 2 year behind schedule before the finnaly got going.

With development, you never know till the doors open.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Is it safe to say that Legends now will not be ready by Spring 2005? This is the same opening date as Cornerstone-- which already has framework up and other work going on.

Summer 2005 anyone?
UMKCgal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCgal »

Yep, summer 2005 it is. Then when that time comes, they'll change and say spring 2006, and then keep pushing it back even further into the future.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

The end of summer 2004 approaches, and construction on the Legends has yet to begin. Don't be fooled by the new batch of gravel that was laid out, or the swift construction of Amini's Galleria, because simply put absolutely no work has been completed. I have seen renderings, site plans, talked with enthusiastic developers and government officials, but that doesn't change the fact that they have not begun construction.

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

UMKCgal wrote:Yep, summer 2005 it is. Then when that time comes, they'll change and say spring 2006, and then keep pushing it back even further into the future.
Do you know how ironic this is, check out this page.
http://www.reddevelopment.com/projects/index.asp

Thats right Legends has officially been pushed back to Fall 2005 right under everyones noses!!!!

Why didn't someone here catch this before?

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

we don't care???? :D

DMW, what are they building out there right now. 2 buildings across the street from where the sonic/applebees kind of is...I figured that was part of the Legends project.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

DeadManWalking wrote:
UMKCgal wrote:Yep, summer 2005 it is. Then when that time comes, they'll change and say spring 2006, and then keep pushing it back even further into the future.
Do you know how ironic this is, check out this page.
http://www.reddevelopment.com/projects/index.asp

Thats right Legends has officially been pushed back to Fall 2005 right under everyones noses!!!!

I have been estimating for months that Summer 2005 would be a kind estimate. DMW...don't worry that much because I believe they have construction pads with trailers set up on site which is a very good sign. I believe there are still some problems with securing tenants.

As much as people bash this project, we need it to compete with similar super-retail suburban developments in Minneapolis and Dallas-FW.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

DeadManWalking wrote:Thats right Legends has officially been pushed back to Fall 2005 right under everyones noses!!!!

I think many of us already knew that the first phase of Legends wouldn't be open until October 2005. Or is that jus' when Coyote Ugly, Dave & Buster's, Tu Tu Tango's, etc. are suppose to be complete?
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

QueSi2Opie wrote:
DeadManWalking wrote:Thats right Legends has officially been pushed back to Fall 2005 right under everyones noses!!!!

I think many of us already knew that the first phase of Legends wouldn't be open until October 2005. Or is that jus' when Coyote Ugly, Dave & Buster's, Tu Tu Tango's, etc. are suppose to be complete?
You forgot the soon-to-be-legendary Bobo's Hot Pit BBQ. :P
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Legends 14 Theaters broke ground today and open next summer according to The Star.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

We can officially retire this thread. Groundbreaking for Legends is officially set for Tuesday(for real this time). Go Wy Co! :cheers:
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Can anyone confirm or deny if there is actually something being built at the Legends besides the restaurants on the pad sites?

I noticed that RED has yet to update any construction pictures whereas many of the newer RED projects (Woodbury Lakes, Shops at Walnut Creek) have pictures from last week and already have walls up.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

I can confirm that they have yet to start the foundation for any of the buildings on the main site. They have moved some dirt around, but nothing else so far.

KCK IS BACK!!!!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

DeadManWalking wrote:I can confirm that they have yet to start the foundation for any of the buildings on the main site. They have moved some dirt around, but nothing else so far.
WTF? :shock:

There are RED projects announced years after Legends that already have walls up. My projected opening is Summer/Fall 2006.

The theatre should just go up without the rest of the mall. I think the mall will be a failure because the mix of stores is bogus and way too heavy on restaurants. At this point, I would scrap the mall and just build a bunch of destination stores and entertainment clustered around each other.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

trailerkid wrote:
DeadManWalking wrote:I can confirm that they have yet to start the foundation for any of the buildings on the main site. They have moved some dirt around, but nothing else so far.
WTF? :shock:

There are RED projects announced years after Legends that already have walls up. My projected opening is Summer/Fall 2006.

The theatre should just go up without the rest of the mall. I think the mall will be a failure because the mix of stores is bogus and way too heavy on restaurants. At this point, I would scrap the mall and just build a bunch of destination stores and entertainment clustered around each other.
There is a project going up across the street from the legends that is a grocery store and a liquor store. Also a bank and a 2 story office building are going there. This project sounds more promising than the Legends.

KCK IS BACK!!!!
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I went to Nebraska Furniture Mart yesterday and afterwards went to go look at the Legends progress.

Other than a Sheridan's and a couple of other pad restaurants, the construction site looked exactly the way it did the last time I was at NFM.... which was last March.