Fantasy Retrofits: Barney Allis Plaza

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Fantasy Retrofits: Barney Allis Plaza

Post by langosta »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:50 pm Would some of these public properties be better off to just be sold to someone who would run them well? The Music hall and Municipal seem really dated and they should have so many more events than they do right now.
We really really really need a big overhaul of the convention center complex as a whole.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Please don’t privatize historic public assets
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:05 pm Here are some high quality renderings, and new perspectives, of the Copaken, CBC, and Brinshore apartment building component
https://www.copaken-brooks.com/barney-allis/
The Copaken link is dead. Is this project supposed to break ground soon or was this just an idea?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I still want to turn that ugly convention center roof into a High Line-style park. No way anyone wants to live on the west side of this building facing the convention center. I would have made the entire BAP into highrise apartments except for a small strip in front of the Music Hall that bridge/ramps up to the top of the convention center where there would be a park/walking trail/raised bed garden/etc. The whole thing.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:38 pm I still want to turn that ugly convention center roof into a High Line-style park. No way anyone wants to live on the west side of this building facing the convention center. I would have made the entire BAP into highrise apartments except for a small strip in front of the Music Hall that bridge/ramps up to the top of the convention center where there would be a park/walking trail/raised bed garden/etc. The whole thing.
What a visionary idea to have a park on top of Bartle Hall! I think you'd need to close the facility for a few years to rebuild the roof.

Reminds me of Salesforce Park in SF on top of its transit center:

langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

You would need to rebuild the convention center and rebuild as a facility with columns making it unmarketable
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

langosta wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:00 pm You would need to rebuild the convention center and rebuild as a facility with columns making it unmarketable
Nope. Already partially supported by cables. Would just need stronger, and probably more cabling.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Jacob Javits Convention Center, New York, NY

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Javi ... 11smbksr7c
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:04 am
Chris Stritzel wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:05 pm Here are some high quality renderings, and new perspectives, of the Copaken, CBC, and Brinshore apartment building component
https://www.copaken-brooks.com/barney-allis/
The Copaken link is dead. Is this project supposed to break ground soon or was this just an idea?
Someone in another thread had suggested that this project may break ground in late 2023/early 2024? I've heard absolutely nothing about this for quite some time? Is it as dead as the Lux Living high rise? I had high hopes for a revived BAP several months ago when it looked like both projects could go forward.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I also take it the office tower and re-opening of the original Muehlebach Tower into apartments is dead? Did the Aladdin Hotel ever reopen?
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Most projects it appears are DOA currently. Whether they are mid-stream or yet to break ground. Really hope ease in interest rates help bring some things back online. But certainly seems the developers on these KC projects are always one step away from insolvency.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:41 pm I also take it the office tower and re-opening of the original Muehlebach Tower into apartments is dead? Did the Aladdin Hotel ever reopen?
I don't believe the Aladdin is open but I'm not sure. There is no hotel entity listed at that location on Google Maps. The hotel closed in 2020. The building sold in 2021 with intent of redevelopment but I think I saw somewhere that it was for sale again earlier this year.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Aladdin is definitely still closed.

I’ve heard there are construction documents for the new BAP out
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The mulebach is dead if I remember what I heard right. The splitting up of the property with the Marriott ended up being more complex and undoable if I remember right.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:25 pm The mulebach is dead if I remember what I heard right. The splitting up of the property with the Marriott ended up being more complex and undoable if I remember right.
Well then maybe they can move their efforts over to the other site where the office tower was going to go and build something similar to what Lux Living was going to build a block away. The office tower will never happen now, so change it up and build what will work.

It seems like nearly every project in KC has either been stalled or canceled and even the ones that have broken ground are in jeopardy right now of being finished. Get something going while little is going up and be some of the only new construction to break ground in 2024.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It's interest rates. These projects don't pencil out at higher borrowing costs. Kansas City still cannot demand enough rent per sq. foot for new construction unless interest rates are cheaper.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Muehlebach needs to reopen as a hotel. It’s more of a stereotypical historic NYC hotel than anything in NYC at this point. Should be our most famous hotel.

Marriott runs historic properties, so why not reopen it as one of their boutique historic style properties? It can still be interconnected to the rest of the marriott complex if need be, please just get some human life in there
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:07 pm Muehlebach needs to reopen as a hotel. It’s more of a stereotypical historic NYC hotel than anything in NYC at this point. Should be our most famous hotel.

Marriott runs historic properties, so why not reopen it as one of their boutique historic style properties? It can still be interconnected to the rest of the marriott complex if need be, please just get some human life in there
I wonder how feasible this really is?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

atticus23 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:35 am
TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:07 pm Muehlebach needs to reopen as a hotel. It’s more of a stereotypical historic NYC hotel than anything in NYC at this point. Should be our most famous hotel.

I wonder how feasible this really is?
*Marriott gets paid a license fee by hotel owners who may or may not make an operating profit* the more luxurious or historic properties are often not the ones with high NOI
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

langosta wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:41 am*Marriott gets paid a license fee by hotel owners who may or may not make an operating profit* the more luxurious or historic properties are often not the ones with high NOI
Does Marriott not own the Muehlebach hotel building?