Platte Co. official: 152 corridor to become new 435

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

As much as we hype the Northland, I do not agree with Pete Fullerton, executive director of the Platte County Economic Development, who told the Star recently...
The corridor will be similar to what you see on Interstate 435 in south Kansas City and Johnson County. With its connection to Kansas City International Airport and the I-29 business corridor, you will see the same kind of traffic flow on Missouri 152 that you see on that (southern) section of I-435, which is a heavy volume of westbound traffic in the morning and eastbound in the afternoon.
The Northland should NOT be trying to become Jo Co North. Why would you be proud to copy the congested traffic and sprawl of the 435 in Jo Co/South KC? The Northland should mimic Jo Co's climate for business, but not its irresponsible development. What difference does it make how many new urbanism development you build when you wind up with the same problems?

People wished the Northland to become "the next Johnson County" unfortunately, we might be getting our wish...
“You will see housing and commercial development all along that corridor,â€
UMKCgal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCgal »

What is this guy thinking? Crazy. I never thought someone would actually want JOCO traffic nightmares, the busy traffic is like the closest we (joco) get to being a "big city" and people - it's pretty easy to drive through! :wink: Oh well, let them have it. That means more convenience for me on the streets. :lol:
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

UMKCgal wrote:What is this guy thinking? Crazy. I never thought someone would actually want JOCO traffic nightmares, the busy traffic is like the closest we (joco) get to being a "big city" and people - it's pretty easy to drive through! :wink: Oh well, let them have it. That means more convenience for me on the streets. :lol:
Not really. Most likely if traffic increases dramatically in Northland to levels similar to 435 in Jo Co, it will mean worse traffic in both places and in between them.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

That route was badly needed, as the Northland doesn't have adequate east-west arterial streets. Traffic on Barry Road is already noticably less congested, since that road can go back to being a local arterial instead of an regional expressway.

The majority of big commercial developments planned along 152 are actually New Urban type projects that mix business and residential. Many of those people will be able to live, work, and shop within their communities - meaning fewer potential trips along 152.
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

It will take a long time for 152 to become near what I-435 is in OP. (I don't think it'll ever happen). The density of the Northland isn't even close to that of JOCO.

But congestion is definitely getting worse. See my comments in the Zona Rosa thread.
paisstat
New York Life
New York Life

Post by paisstat »

I agree, in KC proper, you never have to deal with that kind of traffic, because its not all directed onto one steet. That is why sprawl should be avoided. This guy most likely just would like to see lots of economic development, and of course we know the development of the burbs is good for jobs usually, but isnt done in a high density, smart way.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Not everyone in the Northland seems to want 152 to mimic the 435...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
KC approves Falls of Maple Woods

By MIKE RICE
The Kansas City Star

A proposed commercial development at the new Missouri 152 and Maplewoods Parkway interchange has received the approval of the Kansas City Council.

The Falls of Maple Woods is planned for the interchange's northwest corner and would be the first development along the scenic parkway, which opened in October and stretches to Northeast 96th Street.

The development is planned to have 32,200 square feet of retail and office space, including a bank, and a prominent fountain on the south side, adjacent to the entry ramp from Maplewoods Parkway to westbound Missouri 152.

The council's approval to rezone the property allowing the commercial development went against the recommendation of the Kansas City Plan Commission to deny the rezoning. And the decision did not sit well with some residents who have said the development would lower property values would be unsuitable for the parkway.

Some of those residents especially were upset by the council's Planning, Zoning & Economic Development Committee, which put restrictions on their testimony at last week's committee meeting. The committee recommended council approval after the developer Frank Cucchiara agreed to several concessions.

At the March 31meeting, a day before the council approved the project, the committee only allowed testimony on the concessions that Cucchiara agreed to make.

“That was very unnerving,â€
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

I think one point missed in the article you originally posted is that Platte County is adding a lot of jobs, while Clay County is adding a lot of houses. So 152 is becoming a major link connecting peopel with their jobs. Maybe if Platte County loosened their restrictions to allow more moderate-priced housing, then more peopel could live closer to work and have less need to commute across 152.